From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Easy Windoze Text Editor with Parens Matching?
Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...

Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
Google hunting.

Thanks for your help!

From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Easy Windoze Text Editor with Parens Matching?
On Mar 26, 8:55 am, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
> I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
> rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...
>
> Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
> has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
> Google hunting.
>
> Thanks for your help!

never mind- I found what I needed: Notepad++

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Thanks Everyone!
From: Jason
On Mar 26, 6:06 am, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 26, 8:55 am, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
> > I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
> > rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...
>
> > Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
> > has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
> > Google hunting.
>
> > Thanks for your help!
>
> never mind- I found what I needed: Notepad++
>
> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
>
> Thanks Everyone!

You can also try gVim easy. It's vim without the toggle edit mode. It
has a setting to match parens.
From: Ken Tilton
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 26, 8:55 am, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
>>I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
>>rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...
>>
>>Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
>>has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
>>Google hunting.
>>
>>Thanks for your help!
>

> never mind- I found what I needed: Notepad++
>
> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Bah! Have them install the ACL free trial. They can use the project
manager to keep their source straight, and they get full-blown
parens-aware editing such as double-clicking to select a balanced chunk
of code. Two modes on the keychords: Windows and Emacs.

Have those projects load a little subproject with the beef of your app
and they can even test (and probably violate the free trial license,
scratch that). :)

kenny

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
·········@gmail.com writes:

> Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
> I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
> rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...
>
> Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
> has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
> Google hunting.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Well, I don't know about MS-Windows specific programs, but you could
still let your non-programmer use an editor you would develop, using
emacs.

Basically, you'd just disable most bindings.  Just keep the basic C-
bindings, and a few C-x C- bindings (find-file, save-buffer, if you
need them; you could also put a hook to save the buffer when exiting
emacs, so they wouldn't have to deal with files), and add
paredit-mode.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: John Thingstad
P� Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:55:15 +0100, skrev <·········@gmail.com>:

> Hi, I have some non-programmers who need to create some sexpressions.
> I can't justify forcing them to learn emacs for this, but they need
> rudimentary parens matching or they'll suffer needlessly...
>
> Anyone know of any crude notepad-like editor that runs on windows and
> has parens matching? I couldn't find a good candidate after some
> Google hunting.
>
> Thanks for your help!

One not mentioned is ECL with a ECL Lisp shell.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ecls/

John Thingstad