From: Rajarshi
Subject: advice for a Lisp newbie
Hi, I've been reading about Lisp on and off and have been playing
around with Emacs Lisp. But I'd like to start learning it more
generally so that it'd be applicable outside of Emacs.

I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with
Emacs (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm
running OS X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find
anything. Are there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?

Pointers would be appreciated,

Rajarshi

From: Victor Kryukov
Subject: Re: advice for a Lisp newbie
Rajarshi <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I've been reading about Lisp on and off and have been playing
> around with Emacs Lisp. But I'd like to start learning it more
> generally so that it'd be applicable outside of Emacs.
>
> I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with
> Emacs (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm
> running OS X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find
> anything. Are there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?

For Mac, install MacPorts and then do
'sudo port install sbcl +threads'
- you'll get a fairly recent version.

For good integration with Emacs, you'll also need SLIME.

You may also look at clbuild, which nicely packages a number of
modules and make it easy to update/recompile them.

Regards,
Victor.

--
http://macrodefinition.blogspot.com
From: Marco Antoniotti
On Mar 23, 11:44 pm, Victor Kryukov <··············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rajarshi <·············@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi, I've been reading about Lisp on and off and have been playing
> > around with Emacs Lisp. But I'd like to start learning it more
> > generally so that it'd be applicable outside of Emacs.
>
> > I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with
> > Emacs (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm
> > running OS X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find
> > anything. Are there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?
>
> For Mac, install MacPorts and then do
> 'sudo port install sbcl +threads'
> - you'll get a fairly recent version.
>
> For good integration with Emacs, you'll also need SLIME.
>
> You may also look at clbuild, which nicely packages a number of
> modules and make it easy to update/recompile them.
>
> Regards,
> Victor.
>
> --http://macrodefinition.blogspot.com

Aquamacs comes with SLIME pre-installed.  Then you can have any lisp
that runs on the Mac installed where you want.

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:29:01 -0700, Rajarshi wrote:

> Hi, I've been reading about Lisp on and off and have been playing around
> with Emacs Lisp. But I'd like to start learning it more generally so
> that it'd be applicable outside of Emacs.
>
> I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with Emacs
> (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm running OS
> X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find anything. Are
> there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?
>
> Pointers would be appreciated,
>
> Rajarshi

try:
  http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html

i don't bother using the OS specific methods of installing lisp
software .. i've found it much easier to deal with and maintain lisp
software "manually" in my home folder

here is how i get up and running with the very basics:
  http://common-lisp.net/~lnostdal/writings/sbcl.html

..not sure if it is the "best way" or anything though .. or if it will
work for you (only tried it on linux)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: petere
On Mar 23, 5:29 pm, Rajarshi <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with
> Emacs (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm
> running OS X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find
> anything. Are there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?
>
> Pointers would be appreciated,

You might also want to look at OpenMCL/Clozure. I'm very happy with
OpenMCL on OSX (I think it only supports 64bit CPUs on intel though.)

http://clozure.com/clozurecl.html

- Peter
From: Rajarshi
From: gavino
On Mar 23, 2:29 pm, Rajarshi <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been reading about Lisp on and off and have been playing
> around with Emacs Lisp. But I'd like to start learning it more
> generally so that it'd be applicable outside of Emacs.
>
> I've seen that SBCL is a popular version of CL and integrates with
> Emacs (in terms of an IDE) - would this be a good way to start? I'm
> running OS X and doing sudo apt-get install sbcl doesn't seem to find
> anything. Are there prepackaged versions of SBCL available anywhere?
>
> Pointers would be appreciated,
>
> Rajarshi

lisp 3rd ed by winston+horn