From: gavino
Subject: People don't like to open an app and have to open a file
Is this why Microsoft is rich?

I had huge argument with co worker who loved sharepoint by Microsft.
He said it
1 lets you click on a word or excel doc and it just opens
2 lets you search for text inside word or excel docs
3 that integration helps 'productivity', and using linux destroy it
and is 'being cheap' not spending the 200$ to just let people work.

I say screw all that and use my archlinux workstation.  I can open
sharepoint in a browser, download the fiel to my homedir, and open it
in abiword or gnumeric.
This takes more work.  I think this 'work' may be the lever used to
justify Microsoft's EXISTANCE in HUGE CORPS

I am SERIOUS

It seems that the imagines agglomeration fo 'lost productivity'
because people can't launch a file from a web browser interface that
will open in the proper app is literally causing 1000s of managers to
stay home with M$.

I am aware that you can set firefox to open certain file types but and
not sure how well this works with a browser with a sharepoint page in
it...

Do people have similar experiences?

From: Jason
On Mar 20, 1:50 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>
> I had huge argument with co worker who loved sharepoint by Microsft.
> He said it
> 1 lets you click on a word or excel doc and it just opens
> 2 lets you search for text inside word or excel docs
> 3 that integration helps 'productivity', and using linux destroy it
> and is 'being cheap' not spending the 200$ to just let people work.
>
> I say screw all that and use my archlinux workstation.  I can open
> sharepoint in a browser, download the fiel to my homedir, and open it
> in abiword or gnumeric.
> This takes more work.  I think this 'work' may be the lever used to
> justify Microsoft's EXISTANCE in HUGE CORPS
>
> I am SERIOUS
>
> It seems that the imagines agglomeration fo 'lost productivity'
> because people can't launch a file from a web browser interface that
> will open in the proper app is literally causing 1000s of managers to
> stay home with M$.
>
> I am aware that you can set firefox to open certain file types but and
> not sure how well this works with a browser with a sharepoint page in
> it...
>
> Do people have similar experiences?

Gavino, you are young, and exuberant. You have a new toy, and enjoy
playing with it. You want very much to show your toy to others.

I respect that.

However, it is as foolish of you to expect other people to enjoy your
toys as it is for other people to expect you to enjoy their toys. So
relax, crack open a beer, and hack some lisp, or do you not do that
anymore?

-Jason
From: gavino
On Mar 20, 2:04 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:50 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>
> > I had huge argument with co worker who loved sharepoint by Microsft.
> > He said it
> > 1 lets you click on a word or excel doc and it just opens
> > 2 lets you search for text inside word or excel docs
> > 3 that integration helps 'productivity', and using linux destroy it
> > and is 'being cheap' not spending the 200$ to just let people work.
>
> > I say screw all that and use my archlinux workstation.  I can open
> > sharepoint in a browser, download the fiel to my homedir, and open it
> > in abiword or gnumeric.
> > This takes more work.  I think this 'work' may be the lever used to
> > justify Microsoft's EXISTANCE in HUGE CORPS
>
> > I am SERIOUS
>
> > It seems that the imagines agglomeration fo 'lost productivity'
> > because people can't launch a file from a web browser interface that
> > will open in the proper app is literally causing 1000s of managers to
> > stay home with M$.
>
> > I am aware that you can set firefox to open certain file types but and
> > not sure how well this works with a browser with a sharepoint page in
> > it...
>
> > Do people have similar experiences?
>
> Gavino, you are young, and exuberant. You have a new toy, and enjoy
> playing with it. You want very much to show your toy to others.
>
> I respect that.
>
> However, it is as foolish of you to expect other people to enjoy your
> toys as it is for other people to expect you to enjoy their toys. So
> relax, crack open a beer, and hack some lisp, or do you not do that
> anymore?
>
> -Jason

need more beer!
From: Stefan Arentz
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Is this why Microsoft is rich?

Your rants are boring and pointless.

 S.
From: gavino
On Mar 20, 2:19 pm, Stefan Arentz <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>
> Your rants are boring and pointless.
>
>  S.

no fun!
From: Stefan Arentz
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 20, 2:19 pm, Stefan Arentz <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>>
>> Your rants are boring and pointless.
>>
>>  S.
>
> no fun!

Well talk about Lisp then!

 S.
From: Christopher Browne
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>
> I had huge argument with co worker who loved sharepoint by Microsft.
> He said it
> 1 lets you click on a word or excel doc and it just opens
> 2 lets you search for text inside word or excel docs
> 3 that integration helps 'productivity', and using linux destroy it
> and is 'being cheap' not spending the 200$ to just let people work.
>
> I say screw all that and use my archlinux workstation.  I can open
> sharepoint in a browser, download the fiel to my homedir, and open it
> in abiword or gnumeric.
> This takes more work.  I think this 'work' may be the lever used to
> justify Microsoft's EXISTANCE in HUGE CORPS
>
> I am SERIOUS
>
> It seems that the imagines agglomeration fo 'lost productivity'
> because people can't launch a file from a web browser interface that
> will open in the proper app is literally causing 1000s of managers to
> stay home with M$.
>
> I am aware that you can set firefox to open certain file types but and
> not sure how well this works with a browser with a sharepoint page in
> it...
>
> Do people have similar experiences?

This seems like a weak, weak reason for going one way or another, and
certainly hasn't any relationship with Lisp.

What I see as being more irritating is the notion that these sorts of
applications forcibly involve serializing the entirety of documents,
all at once.

A Truly Different Way would be to "connect to" a document, where the
document is expressed in more of a database-like fashion, and, in the
same fashion as occurs on a physical desktop, one may pick up and put
down numerous documents in the course of work, NOT needing some
"draw-the-whole-thing-out-of-its-file" process.  You don't need to
"save" documents; you just put them away.

ObLisp: That's somewhat like the way Lisp Machines often had
substantial amounts of *really important* system state.  (Smalltalk
environments can also express some of the same persistence model.)
--
"cbbrowne",·@","linuxdatabases.info"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Mar 20, 9:50 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this why Microsoft is rich?
>
> I had huge argument with co worker who loved sharepoint by Microsft.
Sharepoint is web portal technology, you have a windows server
running it and you can connect with it from any browser.
Some features works nicer with IE but you can use whatever you please
from user point of view I routinely test with Firefox,
Opera even Safari.
> He said it
> 1 lets you click on a word or excel doc and it just opens
No if don't have a specific Office installed. So if you have  a.docx
(Word 2007 format) you need to have a Office 2007 in your machine to
open it.
I don't know does Open Office could handle .docx files.If it can
nothing stops your fromn using it on linux or freebsd .
> 2 lets you search for text inside word or excel docs
Yes.
> 3 that integration helps 'productivity', and using linux destroy it
I said if you have a documents that could be opened in linux the
integration is the same.
> and is 'being cheap' not spending the 200$ to just let people work.
Different people live in different worlds,

> I say screw all that and use my archlinux workstation.  I can open
> sharepoint in a browser, download the fiel to my homedir, and open it
> in abiword or gnumeric.
If abiword could open it there is no much difference between using
windows and linux
> This takes more work.  I think this 'work' may be the lever used to
> justify Microsoft's EXISTANCE in HUGE CORPS
>
> I am SERIOUS
>
> It seems that the imagines agglomeration fo 'lost productivity'
> because people can't launch a file from a web browser interface that
> will open in the proper app is literally causing 1000s of managers to
> stay home with M$.
>
> I am aware that you can set firefox to open certain file types but and
> not sure how well this works with a browser with a sharepoint page in
> it...
As I said it depends form the files. Sharepoint is just an web
portal.
If you all decide to keep only files that could be opened in linux it
would work just fine.
You might lose some eye-candy, but it's more or less Ok.

> Do people have similar experiences?

Slobodan
http://tourdelisp.blogspot.com/