From: ····@ZW-T40.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
Subject: sbcl consumes more memory?
Comparing lisp(sbcl) and other languages
(Haskell, OCaml, perl, python, ruby, Smalltalk...)
in Debian shootout,
(http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=sbcl&lang2=ghc)
maybe lisp is faster than others in some problems,
but seems it always consumes more memory space, is it true?

From: ·······@eurogaran.com
Subject: Re: sbcl consumes more memory?
From: Alex Mizrahi
 U> Comparing lisp(sbcl) and other languages
 U> (Haskell, OCaml, perl, python, ruby, Smalltalk...)
 U> in Debian shootout,
 U> (http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=sbcl&
 U> lang2=ghc) maybe lisp is faster than others in some problems,
 U> but seems it always consumes more memory space, is it true?

1. this numbers are not 100% correct, because most language runtimes grab
chunk of virtual mem from OS and manage alloocations themselves.
    so measuring memory size via OS functions cannot yield really accurate
results. do not take these results very seriously..
2. different language runtimes are optimized for different things and have
different features. also, they have different defaults.
3. SBCL has relatively rare feature of loading and saving it's memory image
into file -- this is the way how it works.
    possibly this does not work optimal for memory allocation, or just does
not look optimal according to OS metrics.
4. just as a note: SBCL grabs large single chunk of virtual memory on start.
i do not know if it has effect on measured RSS,
    but in some environments it *does* have effect
From: fishmacs
"Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> 1. this numbers are not 100% correct, because most language runtimes grab
> chunk of virtual mem from OS and manage alloocations themselves.
>     so measuring memory size via OS functions cannot yield really accurate
> results. do not take these results very seriously..
Yes, it may be just a phantom. I always can not figure out where so many memory
space are used for, when I time the exercise programs in slime, not only sbcl,
also clisp.
> 4. just as a note: SBCL grabs large single chunk of virtual memory on start.
> i do not know if it has effect on measured RSS,
measured RSS? sorry, what's RSS?
From: Alex Mizrahi
 ??>> 4. just as a note: SBCL grabs large single chunk of virtual memory on
 ??>> start. i do not know if it has effect on measured RSS,
 f> measured RSS? sorry, what's RSS?

"Resident Set Size is the portion of a process that exists in physical
memory. The rest of the program exists in swap."