From: Ward
Subject: Common Lisp in an environment similar to DrScheme ?
Hello,

I have been experimenting a little bit with Lisp, using Lispbox
(www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ ), but experimenting is slow and
intermittent because I find it awkward to *user-friendly* create
code:
- When I mistype something in a function, I have to retype the whole
thing (or recall it from history), navigate to the correct position
and correct what was wrong.
- Furthermore, the "real" code and the things I try out are
intermingled, which does not help me in seeing the whole "real"
program.

Last week, however, I discovered DrScheme (http://www.drscheme.org/).
DrScheme features a *definition window* which contains your real code,
and a separate interactive window to start your program or just try
out things. This is just what I was looking for !!

Does anybody know if I can somehow have something similar in Lispbox?
(maybe via emacs buffers ...)

thanks
Ward

From: Christophe
On 7 mar, 14:04, Ward <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been experimenting a little bit with Lisp, using Lispbox
> (www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/), but experimenting is slow and
> intermittent because I find it awkward to *user-friendly* create
> code:
> - When I mistype something in a function, I have to retype the whole
> thing (or recall it from history), navigate to the correct position
> and correct what was wrong.
> - Furthermore, the "real" code and the things I try out are
> intermingled, which does not help me in seeing the whole "real"
> program.
>
> Last week, however, I discovered DrScheme (http://www.drscheme.org/).
> DrScheme features a *definition window* which contains your real code,
> and a separate interactive window to start your program or just try
> out things. This is just what I was looking for !!
>
> Does anybody know if I can somehow have something similar in Lispbox?
> (maybe via emacs buffers ...)
>
> thanks
> Ward

Hi all,

If I can a suggestion, you must used personal edition of Lispworks or
non commercial Edition of Allegro CL.

Best Regards,

Christophe
From: Zach Beane
Ward <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have been experimenting a little bit with Lisp, using Lispbox
> (www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ ), but experimenting is slow and
> intermittent because I find it awkward to *user-friendly* create
> code:
> - When I mistype something in a function, I have to retype the whole
> thing (or recall it from history), navigate to the correct position
> and correct what was wrong.
> - Furthermore, the "real" code and the things I try out are
> intermingled, which does not help me in seeing the whole "real"
> program.
>
> Last week, however, I discovered DrScheme (http://www.drscheme.org/).
> DrScheme features a *definition window* which contains your real code,
> and a separate interactive window to start your program or just try
> out things. This is just what I was looking for !!
>
> Does anybody know if I can somehow have something similar in Lispbox?
> (maybe via emacs buffers ...)

Don't type everything into the REPL. Open up a Lisp file and evaluate
definitions with C-c C-c or C-x C-e. Switch to the REPL with C-z and
call things as needed.

I wrote a little bit about how I do it here:

  http://xach.livejournal.com/130040.html

Zach
From: Peter Christensen
On Mar 7, 7:04 am, Ward <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been experimenting a little bit with Lisp, using Lispbox
> (www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/), but experimenting is slow and
> intermittent because I find it awkward to *user-friendly* create
> code:
> - When I mistype something in a function, I have to retype the whole
> thing (or recall it from history), navigate to the correct position
> and correct what was wrong.
> - Furthermore, the "real" code and the things I try out are
> intermingled, which does not help me in seeing the whole "real"
> program.
>
> Last week, however, I discovered DrScheme (http://www.drscheme.org/).
> DrScheme features a *definition window* which contains your real code,
> and a separate interactive window to start your program or just try
> out things. This is just what I was looking for !!
>
> Does anybody know if I can somehow have something similar in Lispbox?
> (maybe via emacs buffers ...)
>
> thanks
> Ward

Have you watched the Slime screencast?  It demonstrates good use of
Emacs and Slime (which is what Lispbox has).  I wrote a guide to it,
and it includes links to the different ways to download it.  It's a
well spent hour.

http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/reference-for-the-slimelispemacs-screencast/

-Peter
From: ···············@gmail.com
On Mar 7, 1:04 pm, Ward <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last week, however, I discovered DrScheme (http://www.drscheme.org/).
> DrScheme features a *definition window* which contains your real code,
> and a separate interactive window to start your program or just try
> out things. This is just what I was looking for !!

DrScheme was my original inspiration for ABLE (http://
phil.nullable.eu/) although it has since evolved along its own course.
You may like it although SLIME has many more features.

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 05:04:58 -0800, Ward wrote:

> Does anybody know if I can somehow have something similar in Lispbox?
> (maybe via emacs buffers ...)

It's already there. Just open a buffer and evaluate/compile stuff. See
the Slime manual (google it).

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: Alex Mizrahi
 W> I have been experimenting a little bit with Lisp, using Lispbox
 W> (www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ ), but experimenting is slow and
 W> intermittent because I find it awkward to *user-friendly* create
 W> code:
 W> - When I mistype something in a function, I have to retype the whole
 W> thing (or recall it from history), navigate to the correct position
 W> and correct what was wrong.
 W> - Furthermore, the "real" code and the things I try out are
 W> intermingled, which does not help me in seeing the whole "real"
 W> program.

when you have found it awkward, did you have a thought that you're misusing
it?
did you have a thought to read the fucking book for which this lispbox was
created?

in second chapter 2. "Lather, Rinse, Repeat: A Tour of the REPL" of Seibel's
book:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lather-rinse-repeat-a-tour-of-the-repl.html
you can find a description how people are actually using SLIME and it's REPL
in non-awkward way.
From: Ward
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I'll try them out in the
next couple of days.

> when you have found it awkward, did you have a thought that you're misusing
> it?

Alex, yep I did, that's why I posted my question here (I rarely post
just for the fun of it :-)

> did you have a thought to read the fucking book for which this lispbox was
> created?

Nope, since I had read the book about a year ago, and I didn't recall
reading anything about this...

> in second chapter 2. "Lather, Rinse, Repeat: A Tour of the REPL" of Seibel's
> book:http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lather-rinse-repeat-a-tour-of-the-rep...
> you can find a description how people are actually using SLIME and it's REPL
> in non-awkward way.

...seems I was wrong though. I just quickly reread the chapter and
indeed the author points these things out. I must have been
overwhelmed by all the shortcuts at that time, still trying to make
sense of lisp, emacs, the REPL etc. Maybe a screenshot in the book
would have made it more clear?