From: John
Subject: Lisp and robotics
I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
everyone else.
Thanks

John

From: Neil Baylis
Subject: Re: Lisp and robotics
On Mar 6, 12:55 pm, John <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> everyone else.
> Thanks
>
> John

I'm working on such a project right now. I made an interface card that
has the electronics to drive motors and read sensors. It plugs in to
the USB of my Mac. I wrote a driver for it in C. The driver listens
for commands on a socket. My lisp code opens a conenction to the
socket, and sends commands out. I'm now at the stage of hacking up a
simple lisp gui to enable me to control the machine. I'm very
experienced with hardware, C, embedded programming, etc. but fairly
new to lisp.

Early days yet, but so far it looks as though it will work. I tried
first using Chicken scheme, but ran into problems with GC. Then I
switched to Gambit, which basically worked fine. Finally, I switched
to Common Lisp, (OpenMCL) and I think I'll stick with that.

Initially, I was concerned about performance. But I did some tests and
found I could reliably send tens of thousands of messages per second
to my machine from compiled lisp code, so no problem.

Neil
From: vanekl
John wrote:
> I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> everyone else.
> Thanks
>
> John

this guy is a player
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~stockman/
be nice
From: Marco Antoniotti
On Mar 6, 9:55 pm, John <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> everyone else.
> Thanks
>
> John

They use Scheme at MIT, and here are the results.... :)

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2008-03-07 06:55:53 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <·······@gmail.com> said:

> They use Scheme at MIT, and here are the results.... :)
>
> http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html

This URL is now out of date, so try:

<http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20080303>

and keep clicking 'next' for the full series.

regards,

Ralph
From: Ron Garret
In article
<····································@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
 John <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> everyone else.

There was a significant community of Lisping roboteers in the late 80's
and early 90's.  IMHO it can still be used very effectively, but not
exclusively.  Since a significant part of robotics nowadays is
essentially real-time image processing, Lisp is probably not the best
choice.  But it can still be used quite effectively as the sequencing
and deliberative components of a three-layer architecture (not to be
confused with three-layer architectures for web servers.  This is a
completely different animal.  See
http://robotics.usc.edu/~maja/teaching/cs584/papers/tla.pdf)

rg
From: Brian Adkins
On Mar 7, 1:39 pm, Ron Garret <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <····································@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  John <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> > some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> > thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> > motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> > Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> > share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> > everyone else.
>
> There was a significant community of Lisping roboteers in the late 80's
> and early 90's.  IMHO it can still be used very effectively, but not
> exclusively.  Since a significant part of robotics nowadays is
> essentially real-time image processing, Lisp is probably not the best
> choice.  But it can still be used quite effectively as the sequencing
> and deliberative components of a three-layer architecture (not to be
> confused with three-layer architectures for web servers.  This is a
> completely different animal.  Seehttp://robotics.usc.edu/~maja/teaching/cs584/papers/tla.pdf)
>
> rg

Date?
From: Ron Garret
In article
<····································@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 1:39 pm, Ron Garret <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <····································@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  John <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm in the robotics club at my university and would like to try doing
> > > some work with Lisp instead of all C/C++ like we've been doing. My
> > > thought was that we'd have C code to interface with the sensors and
> > > motors on a low level such as 'set left motor to 50% speed', then use
> > > Lisp to do the rest. Can anyone who has worked with Lisp on robots
> > > share your experiences? I'd like to find out how it worked for
> > > everyone else.
> >
> > There was a significant community of Lisping roboteers in the late 80's
> > and early 90's.  IMHO it can still be used very effectively, but not
> > exclusively.  Since a significant part of robotics nowadays is
> > essentially real-time image processing, Lisp is probably not the best
> > choice.  But it can still be used quite effectively as the sequencing
> > and deliberative components of a three-layer architecture (not to be
> > confused with three-layer architectures for web servers.  This is a
> > completely different animal.
> > Seehttp://robotics.usc.edu/~maja/teaching/cs584/papers/tla.pdf)
> >
> > rg
>
> Date?