From: Joachim Durchholz
Subject: Re: is free, open source software ethical?
Am Donnerstag, den 06.03.2008, 02:25 -0800 schrieb Ron Garret:
> True.  I was just hazarding a guess as to whom you might cite.  I'm
> still waiting to learn who these altruistic coders are.

I am one. I wrote several pieces of code that are (to the best of my
knowledge) still in use, for which I never saw anything more than a warm
thankyou. I didn't even get anything back, because I have abandoned
working for that project, nor did I expect to get anything back.

I did that because I was building on a project that somebody else had
started, and I considered it appropriate to return something. However,
even the original author certainly didn't expect my contributions. (In
that particular case, the original author had commercial customers as
well, so he was only partly altruistic. I was, though I can be egoistic
as well: I do dare demand money when working for a company ;-p )

Regards,
Jo