From: Jacobite1607
Subject: Warning: Got an error 'Could not register handle for external module 	"clsql-uffi": The specified procedure could not be found..'
I created a executable in Lispworks which used Clsql to read an access
database, but when I run the executable on a different pc I get:

Warning: Got an error 'Could not register handle for external module
"clsql-uffi": The specified procedure could not be found..'

From reading the error I assume the problem is in locating the
necessary library files to run. Can anyone tell me what I am doing
wrong, as the program runs beautifully in the IDE and was compiled
using level 0.

Thanks,

William

From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:10:00 -0800 (PST), Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I created a executable in Lispworks which used Clsql to read an
> access database, but when I run the executable on a different pc I
> get:
>
> Warning: Got an error 'Could not register handle for external module
> "clsql-uffi": The specified procedure could not be found..'
>
> From reading the error I assume the problem is in locating the
> necessary library files to run. Can anyone tell me what I am doing
> wrong, as the program runs beautifully in the IDE and was compiled
> using level 0.

Did you put the DLL in question on the other PC as well?  Where did
you put it?

Edi.

--

European Common Lisp Meeting, Amsterdam, April 19/20, 2008

  http://weitz.de/eclm2008/

From: Jacobite1607

> Did you put the DLL in question on the other PC as well?  Where did
> you put it?

No I have not. I wasn't sure if there was something I needed to do at
delivery that would incorporate it into the exe or if it was a
registry key needed to be created or if I needed to "just copy it
over" and if so where to copy it to (system32 perhaps?).

William
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 04:32:55 -0800 (PST), Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> No I have not. I wasn't sure if there was something I needed to do
> at delivery that would incorporate it into the exe or if it was a
> registry key needed to be created or if I needed to "just copy it
> over" and if so where to copy it to (system32 perhaps?).

[All these questions are better asked on the CLSQL mailing list and
you'll probably even find answers there already if you search the
archives.]

You need to copy some DLLs over to the target machine.  (The best way
to do this is usually to use an installer.)  Which DLLs you'll need to
copy depends on the backend and the version of the database you're
using.

Most backends need clsql_uffi.dll, all other DLLs you'll need will be
DLLs that belong to (and are delivered with) the corresponding
database - for example something like sqlite3.dll for SQLite3.  Oracle
DLLs can be installed with their "Instant Client" package.  PostgreSQL
needs a whole bunch of DLLs, and so on.  If you're lucky, the
"PostgreSQL Socket" backend doesn't need any DLLs at all.

There are several places where Windows looks for DLLs (again, more
info is in the mailing list archive, or just try Google), but a safe
place is in the same folder where the delivered application resides.
You can also fiddle around with environment variables - see for
example how the Lisp Starter Pack does it.

Edi.

From: Jacobite1607
> [All these questions are better asked on the CLSQL mailing list and
> you'll probably even find answers there already if you search the
> archives.]

I actually tried a few times sending to ··········@b9.com, but it kept
bouncing back even though I am a subscriber. Through reading through
their archives it looks like the email address listed on the Clsql
info page is wrong and should be ·····@b8.com.

> You need to copy some DLLs over to the target machine.  (The best way
> to do this is usually to use an installer.)  Which DLLs you'll need to
> copy depends on the backend and the version of the database you're
> using.
>
> Most backends need clsql_uffi.dll, all other DLLs you'll need will be
> DLLs that belong to (and are delivered with) the corresponding
> database - for example something like sqlite3.dll for SQLite3.  Oracle
> DLLs can be installed with their "Instant Client" package.  PostgreSQL
> needs a whole bunch of DLLs, and so on.  If you're lucky, the
> "PostgreSQL Socket" backend doesn't need any DLLs at all.

Thanks for the information, that helps alot!

William
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:23:59 -0800 (PST), Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually tried a few times sending to ··········@b9.com, but it
> kept bouncing back even though I am a subscriber.

Some time ago (in 2007) all mailing lists were consolidated into one
which is now simply called "clsql".

> Through reading through their archives it looks like the email
> address listed on the Clsql info page is wrong and should be
> ·····@b8.com.

Nah, it's "9"... :)

Edi.