From: Zach Beane
Subject: Practical Lisp 2008
In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
share this post:

  http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html

I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.

Zach

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Practical Lisp 2008
Zach Beane wrote:
> In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
> share this post:
>
>   http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html
>
> I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
> these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.
>
> Zach

PWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Didn't have the courage to spam this exalted space
without blaming it on my precedent? I am happy to be of service.

Let the spamming commence!

:)

kenny

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@unnamed.xach.com>,
 Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:

> In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
> share this post:
>
>   http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html
>
> I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
> these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.
>
> Zach

You've got some very interesting answers there.
From: Ken Tilton
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <··············@unnamed.xach.com>,
>  Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>

>>In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
>>share this post:
>>
>>  http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html
>>
>>I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
>>these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.
>>
>>Zach
>

> You've got some very interesting answers there.

Yeah, I was going to come back here and apologize for saying I was the
only one here writing Lisp applications when I realized none of those
people post here. Not that I worry about the accuracy of my flames.

Actually, I have noticed something at Lisp get-togethers small and
large: well fewer than half read c.l.l.

kenny

From: Pascal Costanza
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>> In article <··············@unnamed.xach.com>,
>>  Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>>

>>> In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
>>> share this post:
>>>
>>>  http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html
>>>
>>> I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
>>> these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.
>>>
>>> Zach
>>

>> You've got some very interesting answers there.
>
> Yeah, I was going to come back here and apologize for saying I was the
> only one here writing Lisp applications when I realized none of those
> people post here. Not that I worry about the accuracy of my flames.
>
> Actually, I have noticed something at Lisp get-togethers small and
> large: well fewer than half read c.l.l.

Surprised?

Pascal

--
1st European Lisp Symposium (ELS'08)
http://prog.vub.ac.be/~pcostanza/els08/

My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Edi Weitz
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:29:48 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I was going to come back here and apologize for saying I was
> the only one here writing Lisp applications when I realized none of
> those people post here.

Hey, /I/ post here!

> Not that I worry about the accuracy of my flames.

Ah, right... :)

Edi.

--

European Common Lisp Meeting, Amsterdam, April 19/20, 2008

  http://weitz.de/eclm2008/

From: Ken Tilton
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:29:48 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Yeah, I was going to come back here and apologize for saying I was
>>the only one here writing Lisp applications when I realized none of
>>those people post here.
>

> Hey, /I/ post here!

Yes, and Kent was raised by a closet full of Lisp machines, but...
cl-ppcre? hunchentoot?

What part of "application" do you not understand?! This is the closest
thing I can find:

    http://www.weitz.de/einstein.html

That'll save the world.

<sigh>

kenny

From: Edi Weitz
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:30:49 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> Yes, and Kent was raised by a closet full of Lisp machines,
> but... cl-ppcre? hunchentoot?
>
> What part of "application" do you not understand?!

Ah, sorry, when you said that you had read the answers to Zach's blog
posting, I thought that you had actually read them.  That'll teach
me...

> That'll save the world.

I thought Cells was doing that already.  Do you need help?

Edi.

From: Ken Tilton
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:30:49 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>Yes, and Kent was raised by a closet full of Lisp machines,
>>but... cl-ppcre? hunchentoot?
>>
>>What part of "application" do you not understand?!
>

> Ah, sorry, when you said that you had read the answers to Zach's blog
> posting, I thought that you had actually read them.  That'll teach
> me...
>

>>That'll save the world.
>

> I thought Cells was doing that already.  Do you need help?

Cells is trivial. We need your horsepower on the Interwebby stuff, that
is more important to saving the world.

If Hunch is done, maybe you could finish up Ruck? I wish it was an RDF,
though. Maybe go the other way, bindings to Redland and then persistent
CLOS on top of that (if anyone still uses CLOS). Speaking of "Beyond
CLOS", it seems to me Elephant 2000 likewise wants to leave data
structures behind and encode data --- well, not at all: the natural
language "speech acts" would /be/ the data. (If I understood the doc.)

Fun, fun, fun.

kenny

From: Timofei Shatrov
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:30:49 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> tried
to confuse everyone with this message:

>Edi Weitz wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:29:48 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah, I was going to come back here and apologize for saying I was
>>>the only one here writing Lisp applications when I realized none of
>>>those people post here.
>>

>> Hey, /I/ post here!
>
>Yes, and Kent was raised by a closet full of Lisp machines, but...
>cl-ppcre? hunchentoot?
>
>What part of "application" do you not understand?!

So, Apache isn't considered an application now?

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: Ken Tilton
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 07:30:49 -0500, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> tried
> to confuse everyone with this message:
>

>>Edi Weitz wrote:

>>>Hey, /I/ post here!
>>
>>Yes, and Kent was raised by a closet full of Lisp machines, but...
>>cl-ppcre? hunchentoot?
>>
>>What part of "application" do you not understand?!
>

> So, Apache isn't considered an application now?

WTF?! You want me to be serious?! Fine. I am looking for Real
Applications, defined as something not used by Real Applications. Apache
is used by, oh, Orbitz (I made that up) so Orbitz is an application,
Apache is not.

I just think it would be fun now that Lisp has pretty much crushed all
the competition for people to start writing Real Applications with it.
Exceptions are made for those making next-level-down libraries, cuz we
still need those.

Anyone working on CLOS hacks or symbol/package hacks will be taken out
and shot. I might be in this group if I do not get back to work on
Algebra, though a nice jqcells or hunch-o-cells gets me into the
exceptional group. Stay tuned.

kenny

From: Maciej Katafiasz
Den Mon, 03 Mar 2008 06:06:08 -0500 skrev Ken Tilton:

> I just think it would be fun now that Lisp has pretty much crushed all
> the competition for people to start writing Real Applications with it.
> Exceptions are made for those making next-level-down libraries, cuz we
> still need those.
>
> Anyone working on CLOS hacks or symbol/package hacks will be taken out
> and shot.

Does that mean that I, working on a MOP hack to allow declarative
defining of serialisable data structures for an in-house app, will get
shot for CLOS hacks, or do I get a cookie for working on apps (albeit
internal, developer-oriented ones)?

Cheers,
Maciej
From: Pascal Costanza
Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> Den Mon, 03 Mar 2008 06:06:08 -0500 skrev Ken Tilton:
>
>> I just think it would be fun now that Lisp has pretty much crushed all
>> the competition for people to start writing Real Applications with it.
>> Exceptions are made for those making next-level-down libraries, cuz we
>> still need those.
>>
>> Anyone working on CLOS hacks or symbol/package hacks will be taken out
>> and shot.
>
> Does that mean that I, working on a MOP hack to allow declarative
> defining of serialisable data structures for an in-house app, will get
> shot for CLOS hacks, or do I get a cookie for working on apps (albeit
> internal, developer-oriented ones)?

You will get shot no matter what. Only Kenny does things right,
everybody else sucks. Except for Paul Graham, that is.

Pascal

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Mar 4, 1:04 pm, Pascal Costanza <····@p-cos.net> wrote:
> Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> > Den Mon, 03 Mar 2008 06:06:08 -0500 skrev Ken Tilton:
>
> >> I just think it would be fun now that Lisp has pretty much crushed all
> >> the competition for people to start writing Real Applications with it.
> >> Exceptions are made for those making next-level-down libraries, cuz we
> >> still need those.
>
> >> Anyone working on CLOS hacks or symbol/package hacks will be taken out
> >> and shot.
>
> > Does that mean that I, working on a MOP hack to allow declarative
> > defining of serialisable data structures for an in-house app, will get
> > shot for CLOS hacks, or do I get a cookie for working on apps (albeit
> > internal, developer-oriented ones)?
>
> You will get shot no matter what. Only Kenny does things right,
He's busy documenting cells and delivering theory algebra. He doesn't
have time to be right.

Slobodan
From: Christopher Koppler
On Mar 4, 1:15 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:

> He's busy documenting cells and delivering theory algebra. He doesn't
> have time to be right.

He's having too much fun procrastinating to be delivering theory y
algebra, much less documenting cells.
From: Ken Tilton
Christopher Koppler wrote:
> On Mar 4, 1:15 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>He's busy documenting cells and delivering theory algebra. He doesn't
>>have time to be right.
>

> He's having too much fun procrastinating to be delivering theory y
> algebra, much less documenting cells.

Yeah, I just infected the Arc community with destructuring-bind and then
used it to infect them with optional and keyword args for a new DEFUN,
available since pg shortened it to DEF in Arc. Don't know if you have to
be signed in, but: http://arclanguage.org/item?id=4247

But I am going to beat a daily minimum requirement of Algebra out of me
going forward, and I better get going because American Idol comes on in
six hours.

kenny

From: Ken Tilton
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Mar 4, 1:04 pm, Pascal Costanza <····@p-cos.net> wrote:
>
>>Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

>>>Does that mean that I, working on a MOP hack to allow declarative
>>>defining of serialisable data structures for an in-house app, will get
>>>shot for CLOS hacks, or do I get a cookie for working on apps (albeit
>>>internal, developer-oriented ones)?

The MOP work inherits from the app work. You live to see tomorrow.

kenny

From: GP lisper
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:29:48 -0500, <···········@optonline.net> wrote:

> Actually, I have noticed something at Lisp get-togethers small and
> large: well fewer than half read c.l.l.

Well, those of us that are solo in the little city need some
entertainment, so we read every little bit of it...I swear, pay no
attention to that silly newreader claiming I'm 8000 messages behind.

--
One of the strokes of genius from McCarthy was making lists
the center of the language - kt

> In the Kenny Tilton tradition of blog-to-Usenet echo, I'd like to
> share this post:
>
>  http://xach.livejournal.com/162386.html
>
> I asked people to talk about Lisp projects and tools they were using
> these days, and I've had 45 interesting responses. Check it out.
>
> Zach

Be nice to see
dns sever runs on linux
web server/app server working on clisp on linux
monitoring/traffic tool
prevayler style presistance for clisp on linux