From: Mark Tarver
Subject: ending watch spam
This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.

Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy

QUOTE
 It seems you have a client

Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009

which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en

with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
this client who is trashing this newsgroup?

Dr Mark Tarver
UNQUOTE

Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.

Mark

From: Thibault Langlois
Subject: Re: ending watch spam
On Jun 26, 10:16 am, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
> Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
> condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>
> Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
> seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>
> QUOTE
>  It seems you have a client
>
> Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
> Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
> Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
> Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
> Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
> Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
> Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
> Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>
> which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>
> with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
> this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>
> Dr Mark Tarver
> UNQUOTE
>
> Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
> can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>
> Mark

Google is doing quite well with spam on Gmail, anyone has an idea why
newsgroups are not spam filtered ?

Thibault Langlois
From: Parth Malwankar
On Jun 26, 5:49 pm, Thibault Langlois <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jun 26, 10:16 am, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
> > Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
> > condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>
> > Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
> > seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>
> > QUOTE
> >  It seems you have a client
>
> > Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
> > Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
> > Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
> > Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
> > Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> > Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> > Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
> > Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
> > Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
> > Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>
> > which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>
> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>
> > with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
> > this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>
> > Dr Mark Tarver
> > UNQUOTE
>
> > Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
> > can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>
> > Mark
>
> Google is doing quite well with spam on Gmail, anyone has an idea why
> newsgroups are not spam filtered ?
>
> Thibault Langlois

Google Help Center on spam in newsgroups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46453

Quote:

How can I report cases of Usenet abuse from people posting
 though Google Groups?

To report cases of Usenet abuse, click the More options link
 at the top of the message and select Report this message.
On the report page, describe why you think the post is abusive.

Please be aware that, while we understand how annoying
 off-topic posts can be, Google doesn't regularly monitor
or censor postings sent to Google Groups. However, we do try
 to prevent wide-scale spam and other forms of Usenet abuse,
most notably involving numerous repeat offenses or the posting
of someone's personal information (such as credit card or
 social security numbers).

We'll use all of the information we receive regarding abuse
 and spam to make large-scale changes to fight all types of
 abuse. In Google Groups discussion groups (not Usenet
newsgroups), you can also ask the owner or moderator to
 remove a post.

For more information, please read our Terms of Service

End-Quote

Parth
From: Parth Malwankar
On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
> Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
> condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>
> Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
> seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>
> QUOTE
>  It seems you have a client
>
> Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
> Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
> Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
> Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
> Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
> Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
> Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
> Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>
> which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>
> with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
> this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>
> Dr Mark Tarver
> UNQUOTE
>
> Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
> can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>
> Mark

I agree. The replica watch is getting a bit too much.
I flag 5-6 of their messages along with some of the others each
 day (via 'more options') in  the hope that google will do
 something but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Google certainly has the technology to block spam (it does
a very good job with gmail) I am not sure why they don't do
anything about the groups. Policy? :(

Parth
From: Oisín Mac Fhearaí
On Jun 26, 2:45 pm, Parth Malwankar <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree. The replica watch is getting a bit too much.
> I flag 5-6 of their messages along with some of the others each
>  day (via 'more options') in  the hope that google will do
>  something but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

...You can flag newsgroup messages? Cool, I didn't think it was
possible. It would be nice to see real messages and not 4 out of 5
threads being about bloody replica watches. Hard to see the forest for
the timepieces.

Oisín
From: George Neuner
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Parth Malwankar
<···············@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
>> Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
>> condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>>
>> Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
>> seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>>
>> QUOTE
>>  It seems you have a client
>>
>> Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
>> Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
>> Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
>> Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
>> Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
>> Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
>> Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
>> Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
>> Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
>> Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>>
>> which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>>
>> with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
>> this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>>
>> Dr Mark Tarver
>> UNQUOTE
>>
>> Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
>> can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>>
>> Mark
>
>I agree. The replica watch is getting a bit too much.
>I flag 5-6 of their messages along with some of the others each
> day (via 'more options') in  the hope that google will do
> something but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.
>
>Google certainly has the technology to block spam (it does
>a very good job with gmail) I am not sure why they don't do
>anything about the groups. Policy? :(
>
>Parth

That only potentially helps Google users browsing the newsgroup.
Google doesn't control the group so it can't eliminate the spam.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Paul Donnelly
George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Parth Malwankar
> <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>>> This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
>>> Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
>>> condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>>>
>>> Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
>>> seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>>>
>>> QUOTE
>>>  It seems you have a client
>>>
>>> Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
>>> Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
>>> Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
>>> Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
>>> Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
>>> Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
>>> Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
>>> Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
>>> Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
>>> Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>>>
>>> which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>>>
>>> with unsolicited spam advertising.  Do you have any influence over
>>> this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>>>
>>> Dr Mark Tarver
>>> UNQUOTE
>>>
>>> Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
>>> can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
>>I agree. The replica watch is getting a bit too much.
>>I flag 5-6 of their messages along with some of the others each
>> day (via 'more options') in  the hope that google will do
>> something but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.
>>
>>Google certainly has the technology to block spam (it does
>>a very good job with gmail) I am not sure why they don't do
>>anything about the groups. Policy? :(
>>
>>Parth
>
> That only potentially helps Google users browsing the newsgroup.
> Google doesn't control the group so it can't eliminate the spam.

Is it a problem for anyone else? I see no more than one spam for every
10 messages or so, after filtering (and none of them advertising watches
or shoes).
From: Tim X
Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Parth Malwankar
>> <···············@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>I agree. The replica watch is getting a bit too much.
>>>I flag 5-6 of their messages along with some of the others each
>>> day (via 'more options') in  the hope that google will do
>>> something but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.
>>>
>>>Google certainly has the technology to block spam (it does
>>>a very good job with gmail) I am not sure why they don't do
>>>anything about the groups. Policy? :(
>>>
>>>Parth
>>
>> That only potentially helps Google users browsing the newsgroup.
>> Google doesn't control the group so it can't eliminate the spam.
>
> Is it a problem for anyone else? I see no more than one spam for every
> 10 messages or so, after filtering (and none of them advertising watches
> or shoes).

Not a problem for me. I'm using gnus and just have this spam scored so
that I don't see it. For me, this is one of th elimitations of things
like google groups. If your reading using a good news reader client,
this should not be an issue.

With respect to other suggestions regarding sending complaints and
reporting the e-mail address of the spammer, this is largely
pointless. The e-mail address is rarely legitimate and if it is a real
address, is almost never the address of the person actually sending the
spam, but rather some poor victim of the spammers that has had their
address harvested from somewhere.

I do like the idea of forwarding all copies to the services and/or sales
e-mail for the company. That will have an impact at first. However, they
will likely just filter it at some point.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: ······@gmail.com
Thanks Mark for bringing this to attention.

Since about the beginning of this year, comp.lang.lisp are
periodically spammped by spams (by definition, spam are large scale,
and machine-generated). I use google groups for reading newsgroups,
and a mere 5 or so spam in a day pretty much makes the group unusable
from the web interface.

Numerous other newsgroups i use are also effected.

Since this year, i noticed they started to use my name or my website
text or url as part of their random generated garbage. Often, these
are porn related spams.

About 3 weeks ago, there's hundreds (or thousands) of such message
posted in one day. I posted a message to Google Groups Help:
http://groups.google.com/group/Is-Something-Broken/browse_frm/thread/5f9b911188d6cc5/
and the next day these message/file-upload's contents are deleted.
(however, google group search still show results of these hundreds of
non-existant file/posts e.g.
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=xah+lee&start=800&sa=N&scoring=d&
)

About 8 years ago, the lisp guru Paul Graham popularized a spam filter
based on statistical means. It received wide acclaim from the tech
geekers, thinking that's the end of spam.

(for the hot reception of it in comp.lang.lisp, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/5ddebf2ca6ba53d3

it was widely proclaimed on the web and other mailing lists too
)

But if we look back, spam has not in anyway reduced over the years
(possibly with a setback for a year), probably escalated. (the
statistical means of filter spam are easily thwarted by using images,
or random legit texts, or one-sentence text, or recently html using
styles to prevent machine reading... these methods are what i
personally seen in my mail ox. They come and go, just as spam
filtering techniques)

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xrumer
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/tech_geekers_vs_spammers.html

Tech geekers need more understanding of sociology for society to
improve, even on technical related issues.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: John Thingstad
P� Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:16:08 +0200, skrev Mark Tarver
<··········@ukonline.co.uk>:

> This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
> Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
> condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>
> Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
> seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy

Yes the watch spam was a royan pain.
Luckily I use Opera so I just set a filter to throw all messages with
headers containing regexp replica\W in the trash.
I suggest you do something simular.

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Andreas Hinze
Indeed it is boring.
But thinking about it, i ask myself how hard it is to write a small
app, that catches the spam and answer EVERY one of them.
Not only to ·····@... but also with cc to ····@... and ·········@..
and complaining about thew spam.

I would assume that every company would become large trouble if
only a small part of the spam receiver would act this way.
And since the complain is indiviual to everyone that ansered that way
it would become hard to filter out this spam (specially for the cc'ed
adresses)

And, just for the records, this would not be spam. One would only
answer to received messages.

However it would be helpfull to make a special email adress for sending
that because one would end up on the mailing list for the next round of
spam.

Just my $0.02
Regards AHz

From: Oisín Mac Fhearaí
On Jun 27, 10:30 am, Andreas Hinze <····@snafu.de> wrote:
> Indeed it is boring.
> But thinking about it, i ask myself how hard it is to write a small
> app, that catches the spam and answer EVERY one of them.
> Not only to ·····@... but also with cc to ····@... and ·········@..
> and complaining about thew spam.
>
> I would assume that every company would become large trouble if
> only a small part of the spam receiver would act this way.
> And since the complain is indiviual to everyone that ansered that way
> it would become hard to filter out this spam (specially for the cc'ed
> adresses)
>
> And, just for the records, this would not be spam. One would only
> answer to received messages.

That's a very clever idea. Akin to the old "receive spam snail mail
from companies A and B with prepaid return coupons. Put spam B into
reply envelope A, spam A into reply envelope B and post" trick.
The only problem is, I suppose, that we can't trust that their from or
reply-to address are meaningful. They might even point to a legitimate
person/business with no connection to the spammer - the real point of
contact in the email is usually a www link.
If this auto spam-replying became a widespread practice, for example,
it would be simple (if the spammers are using a decent programming
language like Lisp ;)) for the spammers to modify their software to
harvest legitimate user addresses from the latest newsgroup threads
and make their spam appear to come from those addresses, making us
spam ourselves unwittingly.

Oisín
From: Leonardo Varuzza
On Jun 27, 6:30 am, Andreas Hinze <····@snafu.de> wrote:
> Indeed it is boring.
> But thinking about it, i ask myself how hard it is to write a small
> app, that catches thespamand answer EVERY one of them.
> Not only to ·····@... but also with cc to ····@... and ·········@..
> and complaining about thewspam.
>
> I would assume that every company would become large trouble if
> only a small part of thespamreceiver would act this way.
> And since the complain is indiviual to everyone that ansered that way
> it would become hard to filter out thisspam(specially for the cc'ed
> adresses)
>
> And, just for the records, this would not bespam. One would only
> answer to received messages.
>
> However it would be helpfull to make a special email adress for sending
> that because one would end up on the mailing list for the next round ofspam.
>
> Just my $0.02
> Regards AHz
>
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> > This watch spammer needs to be killed off.  I wrote to Precision
> > Replicas telling them to stop this, but it seems that they must
> > condone it because it goes on and I've had no reply.
>
> > Hence I looked up this company and the details are given below .  It
> > seems Godaddy are the ISP for them.  Thus I wrote to Godaddy
>
> > QUOTE
> >  It seems you have a client
>
> > Domain Name: PRECISIONREPLICAS.COM
> > Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
> > Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
> > Referral URL:http://registrar.godaddy.com
> > Name Server: NS13.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> > Name Server: NS14.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
> > Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
> > Updated Date: 03-jun-2008
> > Creation Date: 10-aug-2005
> > Expiration Date: 10-aug-2009
>
> > which is currently spamming comp.lang.lisp
>
> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/topics?hl=en
>
> > with unsolicitedspamadvertising.  Do you have any influence over
> > this client who is trashing this newsgroup?
>
> > Dr Mark Tarver
> > UNQUOTE
>
> > Feel free to email Godaddy support on this issue so that these people
> > can feel some of the annoyance that spamming creates.
>
> > Mark

I'm redirecting all my spam to:

·······@precisionreplicas.com

Or