From: Daniel Weinreb
Subject: Job Offer for Lisp Programmer on RentACoder
I don't know anything about this more than it says; I just
happened to see this page while following links:

http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=942461

It starts off by saying:

-- quoting --

Hi,
I need a Lisp hacker for an Open Source project. This works as a
homepage for the time being:
http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb

What you need is knowledge of:

* Common Lisp (SBCL)
* Linux (SBCL runs best on Linux)
* AJAX/JavaScript

Ok, this might be a bit unusual but what I need is someone who is able
to see themselves what could be improved based on what's there already.
The project is Open Source which makes this a bit easier. See the code
and the examples. More UI widgets is certainly needed. Talk to me,
suggest a feature or widget you'd like to work on and state your bid for
that feature.

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Job Offer for Lisp Programmer on RentACoder
Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I don't know anything about this more than it says; I just
> happened to see this page while following links:
>
> http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=942461
>
> It starts off by saying:
>
> -- quoting --
>
> Hi,
> I need a Lisp hacker for an Open Source project. This works as a
> homepage for the time being:
> http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb

Wouldn't this consistitute out-of-band communication with respect to
RentACoder, and thus invalidate the project from their point of view?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: =?UTF-8?B?TGFycyBSdW5lIE7DuHN0ZGFs?=
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> I don't know anything about this more than it says; I just
>> happened to see this page while following links:
>>
>> http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=942461
>>
>> It starts off by saying:
>>
>> -- quoting --
>>
>> Hi,
>> I need a Lisp hacker for an Open Source project. This works as a
>> homepage for the time being:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb
>
> Wouldn't this consistitute out-of-band communication with respect to
> RentACoder, and thus invalidate the project from their point of view?

I think it's OK. I don't see how this would work otherwise actually(?).
The bid request was approved by a facilitator at RaC so it should
be fine.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: vanekl
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I don't know anything about this more than it says; I just
>>> happened to see this page while following links:
>>>
>>> http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=942461
>>>

>>> It starts off by saying:
>>>
>>> -- quoting --
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I need a Lisp hacker for an Open Source project. This works as a
>>> homepage for the time being:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb
>>
>> Wouldn't this consistitute out-of-band communication with respect to
>> RentACoder, and thus invalidate the project from their point of view?
>
> I think it's OK. I don't see how this would work otherwise actually(?).
> The bid request was approved by a facilitator at RaC so it should be fine.

Placing the job description on this NG goes against a couple of RaC's terms
of service bylaws, unless, of course, Mr. Weinreb received written permission
from RaC to do so.

Be that as it may, it is in RaC's best interest to allow it as long as the full contract
is agreed to via the RaC service and RaC gets their cut of the transaction
(assuming there is any). RaC does not want the parties to collude behind its
back so that they don't get their fair share of the proceeds.

And if you are going to comment on this, Lars, it's in your best interest
to disclose your participation in all this, aside from the obvious.
From: =?UTF-8?B?TGFycyBSdW5lIE7DuHN0ZGFs?=
vanekl wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
>> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

>>> Wouldn't this consistitute out-of-band communication with respect to
>>> RentACoder, and thus invalidate the project from their point of view?
>>
>> I think it's OK. I don't see how this would work otherwise actually(?).
>> The bid request was approved by a facilitator at RaC so it should be
>> fine.
>>

> Placing the job description on this NG goes against a couple of RaC's terms
> of service bylaws, unless, of course, Mr. Weinreb received written
> permission from RaC to do so.

oh, i was not aware of this .. or .. hmm .. where is this mentioned?

it would seem strange though; the page the URL refers to does not require a
login to access in the first place and i believe RaC provides "globally
accessable" RSS feeds for the bids so people can spread the news easily

> Be that as it may, it is in RaC's best interest to allow it

yeah, i'd think so

> as long as the full contract is agreed to via the RaC service and RaC
> gets their cut of the transaction (assuming there is any). RaC does not
> want the parties to collude behind its back so that they don't get their
> fair share of the proceeds.

yeah

> And if you are going to comment on this, Lars, it's in your best interest
> to disclose your participation in all this, aside from the obvious.

yes, besides the obvious; done :)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/
From: vanekl
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> vanekl wrote:
>> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

>>> I think it's OK. I don't see how this would work otherwise actually(?).
>>> The bid request was approved by a facilitator at RaC so it should be
>>> fine.
>>>

>> Placing the job description on this NG goes against a couple of RaC's
>> terms
>> of service bylaws, unless, of course, Mr. Weinreb received written
>> permission from RaC to do so.
>
> oh, i was not aware of this .. or .. hmm .. where is this mentioned?

there's a couple of places here that indicate they would like permission
before posting off-site. (See /copyright/)
   http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/TermsAndConditions.asp

There is access to more of the site's legal conditions here:
   http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/Legal.asp

[further snippage]
From: =?UTF-8?B?TGFycyBSdW5lIE7DuHN0ZGFs?=
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I don't know anything about this more than it says; I just
>>> happened to see this page while following links:
>>>
>>> http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=942461
>>>

>>> It starts off by saying:
>>>
>>> -- quoting --
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I need a Lisp hacker for an Open Source project. This works as a
>>> homepage for the time being:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb
>>
>> Wouldn't this consistitute out-of-band communication with respect to
>> RentACoder, and thus invalidate the project from their point of view?
>
> I think it's OK. I don't see how this would work otherwise actually(?).
> The bid request was approved by a facilitator at RaC so it should be fine.

(that is not to say i encourage a coder to communicate outside of RaC of
course; i trust the other person is smart enough to understand the risk
of this, and what RaC provides to lessen this risk)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/