From: Ariel
Subject: simple animation and graphics handling
I am pretty new to lisp, but not programming in general.  I am looking for something to help facilitate making graphical interfaces with simple animations present with emphasis on being cross-system compatible.  I was looking at various implimentations of opengl, but I am not sure if opengl is hardware specific (needing certain quality of card to be able to perform higher functionality).

Any good places to start looking for tutorials / libraries / etc that deal in this area?

What about the possibly of using something like GTK+ ?

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: simple animation and graphics handling
P� Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:42:12 +0200, skrev Ariel <··@mail.poo>:

> I am pretty new to lisp, but not programming in general.  I am looking
> for something to help facilitate making graphical interfaces with simple
> animations present with emphasis on being cross-system compatible.  I
> was looking at various implimentations of opengl, but I am not sure if
> opengl is hardware specific (needing certain quality of card to be able
> to perform higher functionality).
>
> Any good places to start looking for tutorials / libraries / etc that
> deal in this area?
>
> What about the possibly of using something like GTK+ ?

OpenGL should work almost everywhere. These day's motherboards come with
simple support for 3D grahics acceleration.
Some functionality can be unacceptably slow or unavailable, but not for
basic drawing and the like.

There are bindings to almost all cross portable graphics libraries.
http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit
http://www.cliki.net/graphics%20library
Gives a list of what is available.

John Thingstad
From: Ariel
Ahh, very helpful.  Thank you sir.

From: Daniel Weinreb
(I don't know why I keep seeing comments on the web saying
that the Lisp community tends to be unhelpful.  I see lots
of posts like this that are very helpful.  -- Dan)