From: Dustin Withers
Subject: cl-opengl vs cl-opengl
For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between
the cl-opengl that comes with Cello and the cl-opengl project on
common-lisp.net. I'm looking into graphics packages and I would like
to check out both Cello and OpenGL but it looks like I will be
contending with a naming conflict.

Why does Cello have it's own OpenGL bindings? Is that something that
should be rectified? Is Cello compatible with the other cl-opengl?

Sorry for all the questions,
-dustin

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: cl-opengl vs cl-opengl
Dustin Withers wrote:
> For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between
> the cl-opengl that comes with Cello and the cl-opengl project on
> common-lisp.net.

I did mine, they did theirs, they asked if I minded their taking the
name, I did not but then I thought I would be able to switch to theirs.

> I'm looking into graphics packages and I would like
> to check out both Cello and OpenGL but it looks like I will be
> contending with a naming conflict.

The latest Cello now uses kt-opengl, so I guess your client code could
use cl-opengl quite happily without conflict.

> Why does Cello have it's own OpenGL bindings?

I decided I really hated what they did with cl-opengl and did not convert.

> Is that something that
> should be rectified?

I think cl-opengl is Completely Wrong on How to Wrap A Library, so you
would need someone madly in love with Cello and cl-opengl to undertake
an irreversible, one-way fork.

> Is Cello compatible with the other cl-opengl?

What's in a name? They all lead to the C functions. Hmmm, maybe the data
would be a problem, since the wrappers probably deviate in how much work
they do before handing off Lisp value to C....ok, maybe not,

hth, kt

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
From: Dustin Withers
On Jun 10, 12:59 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> The latest Cello now uses kt-opengl, so I guess your client code could
> use cl-opengl quite happily without conflict.

Thanks for that. I didn't see that and I didn't bother to check the
cello.asd file to see if cello was or was not dependent on cl-opengl.
Thanks for clearing it up.

-dustin
From: Paul Donnelly
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

> Dustin Withers wrote:
>> For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between
>> the cl-opengl that comes with Cello and the cl-opengl project on
>> common-lisp.net.
>
> I did mine, they did theirs, they asked if I minded their taking the
> name, I did not but then I thought I would be able to switch to
> theirs.
>
>> I'm looking into graphics packages and I would like
>> to check out both Cello and OpenGL but it looks like I will be
>> contending with a naming conflict.
>
> The latest Cello now uses kt-opengl, so I guess your client code could
> use cl-opengl quite happily without conflict.
>

>> Why does Cello have it's own OpenGL bindings?
>
> I decided I really hated what they did with cl-opengl and did not convert.

What did you do differently?
From: Ken Tilton
Paul Donnelly wrote:
> Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:
>

>>Dustin Withers wrote:
>>
>>>For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between
>>>the cl-opengl that comes with Cello and the cl-opengl project on
>>>common-lisp.net.
>>
>>I did mine, they did theirs, they asked if I minded their taking the
>>name, I did not but then I thought I would be able to switch to
>>theirs.
>>

>>>I'm looking into graphics packages and I would like
>>>to check out both Cello and OpenGL but it looks like I will be
>>>contending with a naming conflict.
>>
>>The latest Cello now uses kt-opengl, so I guess your client code could
>>use cl-opengl quite happily without conflict.
>>

>>>Why does Cello have it's own OpenGL bindings?
>>
>>I decided I really hated what they did with cl-opengl and did not convert.
>

> What did you do differently?

I did not add a fancy layer of abstraction or change the names of
constants.

kt

From: Paul Donnelly
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

> Paul Donnelly wrote:
>> Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

>>>I did mine, they did theirs, they asked if I minded their taking the
>>>name, I did not but then I thought I would be able to switch to
>>>theirs.

>>>The latest Cello now uses kt-opengl, so I guess your client code could
>>>use cl-opengl quite happily without conflict.

>>>I decided I really hated what they did with cl-opengl and did not convert.
>>

>> What did you do differently?
>
> I did not add a fancy layer of abstraction or change the names of
> constants.

I see.
From: David Golden
Paul Donnelly wrote:

>>> What did you do differently?
>>
>> I did not add a fancy layer of abstraction or change the names of
>> constants.
>
> I see.

cl-glfw has another opengl binding in its git. Looks a bit thinner than
cl-opengl, though I don't really know anything about it.
http://www.cliki.net/cl-glfw

Both cl-opengl and cl-glfw-opengl support opengl 2.x shaders and stuff.

I've been happy enough with cl-opengl + lispbuilder-sdl (*) for my
purposes- while cl-opengl includes a glut binding, it doesn't mandate
its use.

cl-opengl's "fancy layer of abstraction" has IMO proven its worth when
I've been doing opengl stuff incrementally at the repl. I dunno if it
has performance implications to speak of, but I haven't hit them
yet.

* The following magic line helps a lot with that particular combo:

(setf cl-opengl-bindings:*gl-get-proc-address*
      #'sdl-cffi::sdl-gl-get-proc-address)
; N.B. don't use any ext. functions which go through GetProcAddress
;  until AFTER an SDL opengl surface exists (lazy loading of
;  libgl I guess)