From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Diversion of the White Rabbit!
Dearly beloved logicians, amature and pro among us,

We've been slaving in newsgroup all day and night over dry academic
subjects. I thought we could now have some amusement on logic at this
moment!

yesterday i discovered a song (while slaving (literally) in Second
Life) from the 1960s that is based on the book Alice In Wonderland.
The song is called White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane.

I SO love it.

Of all books i've red in my life, may it be esoteric logic, math, text
books or philosophical transactions, may it be encyclopedia
britannica, may it be fictitious such as A Tale Of 2 Cities, may it be
poetry as of Emily Dickinson, may it be comics as Batman, may it be,
may it be, but of all the books, that i'm pressed to pick one book as
my favorite, that will be Alice In Wonderand and Tthru The Looking-
Glass.

[began unconsciously starting to write on (possible few thousands
words) my reasons ... but STOP!]

Ok, i don't mean to ramble, but what i wanted to say in this post, was
that i soooooo love the song. And, i spent about 30 min to write some
commentaries on the lyrics.

Without further ado, the HTML version with colors, youtube vid, links,
formatting, is at:
 http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/sanga_pemci/white_rabbit.html

Following is a plain text version.

Hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

White Rabbit

White Rabbit (song)↗ (1967) by Jefferson Airplane↗.

「• pill = Actually, pill doesn't appear in Wonderland. It was a drink
and a cake, and later mushroom, that makes Alice grow larger or
smaller. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Chapter 1) 」

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

「• rabbits = Alice chased a White Rabbit and fell into a hole, where
her dream-like adventure began. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
(Chapter 1) 」

「• caterpillar = The caterpillar is somewhat a mysterious sage-like
character, who smokes a hookah↗. He appeared in Chapter 4. Note that
caterpillar never gave Alice a call. 」

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Recall Alice
When she was just small

「• chessboard = Chess is not mentioned in the first book, but is a
central theme in the sequal. Through The Looking Glass (Chapter 1). 」

「• mushroom = Mushroom appears first at the end of chapter 4, where
the caterpillar is sitting on one in chapter 5. The Caterpillar told
Alice that the mushroom: “One side will make you grow taller, and the
other side will make you grow shorter.”. Though, there's no indication
of which is which, as it is round. In subsequent chapters 6 and 7,
Alice kept the pieces of the mushroom in her pocket so she can nibble
it and grow or shrink at will. 」

When men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving slow
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

「• logic = Logic is a central theme in Wonderland. Its author Lewis
Carroll is a logician. For example, here's a quote from Chapter 4
where the word “logic” in mentioned explicitly : «“Contrariwise,”
continued Tweedledee, “if it was so, it might be; and if it were so,
it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.”» 」

「• White Knight = The Red Knight and White Knight are main charaters
in the Looking-glass. The Knights are most prominently featured in
Through The Looking Glass (Chapter 8). 」

「• backwards = Backwards, as in reversal, inversion, mirroring, is a
central theme in Looking-glass. It implicitly applied to time, shape,
speech. For example, in Chapter 5, excerpt: «“That's the effect of
living backwards,” the Queen said kindly: “it always makes one a
little giddy at first—”» 」

「• off with her head! = The Queen is a central character in
Wonderland. She is Queen of Hearts of playing card (thus “Red” Queen).
The Queen is found of execution by shouting “Off with his/her/their
head”, first spoke in Chapter 7, and said it the most in Chapter 8. In
Looking-glass, there's the White Queen and Red Queen (of Chess).
However, phrase “off with ... head” or execution didn't appear in
Looking-glass. In Looking-glass, Alice start as a pawn, and in the end
became a Queen herself too. 」

「• dormouse = Dormouse is a main character in Chapter 7, and also
appeared in Chapter 11. The Dormouse is most of the time asleep or
dormant and in that state got manipulated or abused by the March Hare
and Mad Hatter. The dormouse never said “feed your head” or anything
like it. However, “feeding” and “head” are recurrent themes. 」

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's “off with her head!”
Remember what the dormouse said:
“FEED YOUR HEAD”

YouTube search: White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane↗

What a greatest song!

See also: Wonderland Alice Art Gallery.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: Diversion of the White Rabbit!
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> Here's the deal:  you, Jefferson and Alice are all stoned.

I think both you and Xah should think less "Jefferson" and more "Slick",
since Grace both wrote the song and sang it into rock history.

hth, kenny
From: Don Geddis
·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote on Mon, 28 Jul 2008:
> yesterday i discovered a song (while slaving (literally) in Second
> Life) from the 1960s that is based on the book Alice In Wonderland.
> The song is called White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane.
> I SO love it.

Good song, yes.

> but of all the books, that i'm pressed to pick one book as my favorite,
> that will be Alice In Wonderand and Tthru The Looking- Glass.

Great books, yes.

> And, i spent about 30 min to write some commentaries on the lyrics.

You know, just like your commentaries on Lisp and Emacs, you seem to think
that you have some special insight -- perhaps direct enlightenment from God?
-- and that you don't need to learn about what anybody else has ever said on
this subject.

One would think that, before writing your own commentary, you would at least
bother to read some basic facts behind the connection.  E.g. this:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(song)

> pill = Actually, pill doesn't appear in Wonderland. It was a drink and a
> cake, and later mushroom, that makes Alice grow larger or smaller. Alice's
> Adventures in Wonderland (Chapter 1)
> One pill makes you larger
> And one pill makes you small
> And the ones that mother gives you
> Don't do anything at all
> Go ask Alice
> When she's ten feet tall

You say this as though you've discovered a mistake, like with your great
original research you noticed that the song got some of the details "wrong"
about what was really in the book.

The truth, of course, is that you've missed an entire level about what the
song is about.  As wikipedia says
        [I]t cites parallels between the hallucinatory effects of LSD and the
        imagery found in the fantasy works of Lewis Carroll: 1865's Alice's
        Adventures in Wonderland and its 1871 sequel Through the
        Looking-Glass.

The point is that the song is making an _analogy_.  It isn't some kind of
literal documentary about the books.

The "mistakes" you think you found, are the rich connections between drug
imagery and Carroll's novels.  But, since you're only interested in publishing
your own thoughts, and never in learning about what anyone else has to say,
you seem to have missed much of what made the song great.

Anyway, glad you liked the song and the books.  But next time, why don't you
try researching what is already known about a topic, before you bother to
publish your own independent thoughts?

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
Underwhelming:  Someone who, when he comes into a room, gives you the vague
feeling that someone has just left.  -- Nemo Outis on rec.martial-arts
From: ······@gmail.com
dear Don,

are you aware that you are one of the great dummies on comp.lang.lisp?

i mean, i dont know u, but only remember or aware of your messages few
months ago when you bitched on my views in on of my thread. You, along
with Tim X, George Neuner, Pascal (forgot which), Rainer Joswig, are
currently the greatest pack of tech geeking morons. (perhaps your
intellect don't deserve it, but i tell you, it's the air around you,
helped making you on it)

(not sure i should mention Rainer since recently we've been friends
(see? that's one thing i don't like establishing friends), Also George
has been nice to me recently i think. Also i'm sure i missed many
others but am not in a mood to do listing)

> One would think that, before writing your own commentary, you would at least
> bother to read some basic facts behind the connection.  E.g. this:
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(song)

Silly Don, how long did you spend reading my website?

To be honest, you can spend, i'd say, 2 years, to read my site, like a
full time job or scholarship. You'll learn something.

The above sentence, about reading my site for 2 years like a full time
student's study, applies to most who have a PHD. Btw, you can quote me
on this.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: Don Geddis
·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 2008:
> i vote for this Don's post to be the most stupid in comp.lang.lisp this
> year.

Is there a cash prize?  Ribbon?  Trophy?

> are you aware that you are one of the great dummies on comp.lang.lisp?

No, I'm not aware of that.

How might I discover the truth of that assertion?

> i mean, i dont know u, but only remember or aware of your messages few
> months ago when you bitched on my views in on of my thread. You, along
> with Tim X, George Neuner, Pascal (forgot which), Rainer Joswig, are
> currently the greatest pack of tech geeking morons.

So ... everybody is a moron or dummy ... except you?

Nice little universe you have to yourself, there!  You must be very proud,
to be king of all you survey.  Sort of a Yertle the Turtle thing.

> Also i'm sure i missed many others but am not in a mood to do listing)

Oh, you can make it much simpler.  Just say, "everybody is a moron except me!"
Or maybe, if you think there are one or two people who are not morons, you
can just list them explicitly.  That's likely to be quite a bit shorter.

> To be honest, you can spend, i'd say, 2 years, to read my site, like a
> full time job or scholarship. You'll learn something.

On and off, over the last months and years, I've read some of your postings
and some of your site.  I have yet to learn anything.  What I mostly find is
the self-important postings of a curious and enthusiastic but completely
ignorant pseudo-intellectual.  You never once seem to even imagine that
somebody else has an insight that you don't have.  Any time there is
disagreement, your only conclusion is that you are a genius and they are
morons.

There are at least two other possibilities.

One is that you are mistaken, and at least parts of the rest of the world
actually understand some stuff that you do not yet understand.

Another possibility is the complete opposite from your current view: perhaps
I'm the one who is the lone world genius, and you're the moron.  Worth
thinking about, huh?

> The above sentence, about reading my site for 2 years like a full time
> student's study, applies to most who have a PHD. Btw, you can quote me on
> this.

See, here's the thing: it's clear that you're able to write large volumes of
text.

That's not the same thing as having any real insights into the world.
Einstein's "E=MC^2" is very short, but very deep and significant.
Your production seems to be the opposite.

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
A fool does not learn from his mistakes.  A normal man does learn from his
mistakes.  But the exceptional man learns from the mistakes of others.
From: Glenn Willen
In article <··············@geddis.org>, Don Geddis wrote:
> So ... everybody is a moron or dummy ... except you?
>
> Nice little universe you have to yourself, there!  You must be very proud,
> to be king of all you survey.  Sort of a Yertle the Turtle thing.
> mistakes.  But the exceptional man learns from the mistakes of others.

I fear I may be contravening some long-standing rule of Usenet here, of which I
am unaware; but I would just like to point out that, if you killfile Xah, not
only do _you_ not have to listen to him, but the rest of us don't have to hear
him echoing in your replies, either. :-)

gwillen
From: Tamas K Papp
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:08:50 +0200, Glenn Willen wrote:

> I fear I may be contravening some long-standing rule of Usenet here, of
> which I am unaware; but I would just like to point out that, if you
> killfile Xah, not only do _you_ not have to listen to him, but the rest
> of us don't have to hear him echoing in your replies, either. :-)

Yes!  Please don't argue with Xah.  I killfiled him long ago.  If people
just didn't respond to his rants, I would see none of his posts.  Same
applies to the frog.

Tamas
From: Don Geddis
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:08:50 +0200, Glenn Willen wrote:
>> I fear I may be contravening some long-standing rule of Usenet here, of
>> which I am unaware; but I would just like to point out that, if you
>> killfile Xah, not only do _you_ not have to listen to him, but the rest
>> of us don't have to hear him echoing in your replies, either. :-)

Yes, yes, sorry about that.  I was amusing myself by swatting the hornet's
nest with a stick.  But you're quite correct that those trying to have a
picnic on the lawn don't appreciate it.

Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote on 30 Jul 2008 09:0:
> Yes!  Please don't argue with Xah.  I killfiled him long ago.  If people
> just didn't respond to his rants, I would see none of his posts.  Same
> applies to the frog.

Yeah, guilty.  I've poked the amphibian in the past, too.

All right, I accept the community's judgement.  I'll stop.

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
If I come back as an animal in my next lifetime, I hope it's some type of
parasite, because this is the part where I take it EASY!
	-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey [1999]
From: namekuseijin
On 30 jul, 06:03, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes!  Please don't argue with Xah.  I killfiled him long ago.

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/kill_file_harmful.html

I have to say I agree with Xah, for no other reason than reading such
trolls is fun from time to time as is countering them.  Well, I'm
about as much of a troller as is Xah, so you can plonk you into your
anal orifice and not pay attention if you feel like it.
From: ······@gmail.com
i vote for this Don's post to be the most stupid in comp.lang.lisp
this year.

LOLz

 Xah

From: namekuseijin
On 29 jul, 04:59, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> i vote for this Don's post to be the most stupid in comp.lang.lisp
> this year.
>
> LOLz

No, I vote on you.

Tech geek and male competition my ass:  you're one friggin' delusional
troller thinking you're a genious all knowleadgeable in philosophy,
arts, sociology and compsci but can't even figure out a stoner's song
analogy to Carroll, let alone the dreams of grandeaur regarding a
better emacs.

I'd say you should stop with all the hookers and drugs, but I think
it's too late for you.
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> On 29 jul, 04:59, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i vote for this Don's post to be the most stupid in comp.lang.lisp
>> this year.
>>
>> LOLz
>
> No, I vote on you.

Gentlemen! Gentlemen! Let us not have a brawl. And let us stop
denigrating by implication the unintelligent. That is no kinder than
making second-class citizens of the physically maladroit (many a geek is
squirming) or those socially inept <cough>.

If we must have a group to savage unjustly for qualities they were born
with and can do nothing about, let it be the dull.

Where is Jon?

kxo
From: ······@gmail.com
Ok, some explanation for those of you thinking-cripples out there.

In my commentary about the song, i mentioned that pills actually
doesn't appear in the novel. The commentary is not aimed at citing
“errors” in the lyrics.
(btw, commentary in general is not about citing errors. “Criticism”
would be more close.)
Lots of poeple haven't actually read Wonderland. It is helpful for
them to know which parts of lyrics alludes to actual happenings in the
novel and which are not.

Don is quite stupid. Who doesn't know that Wonderland's allusions to
dementia or drug use?? Alright, maybe actually most people don't know.
(say, if we count Africans, third countries, etc, then perhaps as high
as 90% of world population never even heard of the book. But if we
limit to say, North Americans, then perhaps 50% haven't heard of it.
If we, say, limit to Americans who has a highschool edu, then maybe 5%
haven't heard of the book. If we say, limit to anyone who ever had
some interest in Wonderland, it's hard to conceive any doesn't know
about its nature with respect to delusion or drug use)

Don then went on to give a Wikipedia url on the song, not realizing
the exact url is given in my page. He tells me i should read it. (is
it possible that he is actually aware that i have the exact url linked
from my page, but is here just be sarcastic? To be honest, quite often
i have trouble telling whether they are really stupid or trying to
make stupid jokes, especially in this year in comp.lang.lisp for
example where i started to converse more freely.)

Recently, when reading newsgroups, i felt that if i am being too
explicit that might make them look very stupid. This is a case in
example here.

Should i start to tell you, or prove to you, or do a pissing fight,
about how much i know of Wonderland the book? I'm tempted. In fact,
let me just give you a teaser here: I, Xah Lee, probably knows more
about Wonderland the book more than all people who ever posted to
comp.lang.lisp, in the whole history of comp.lang.lisp, combined. (you
can quote me on this)

Ok, a hint of “proof” for this teaser, is to spend at least 1 hour to
read this page:
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/sanga_pemci/white_rabbit.html

Also, i hasten to add, seeing how most newsgroup users are actually
more stupid than i thought before, that even suppose if you spent 2
years and have read all the 3700+ html pages on my website, you still
can't be sure how much i really know about Wonderland. Simply because,
just because i haven't published something doesnt' mean i don't know
something. (for example, most experienced lisp coders havn't published
nothing about lisp. But they are in fact lisp experts) So, the hint
about my website's info on Wonderland is just a hint.

Also, i hasten to add, what i said above does not in any way indicate
that i'm a “genius”. Many people, just because they are too stupid on
tech subjects (and being a ass about it) and got correct by my haughty
tone, assumes then that i think i'm a know-all. LOL. HOW do i start to
educate them? O, one of my insight in my 15 years of newsgroup
posting, particular in recent years, is that when you get down to the
problem of education, there's quite a lot issues and obstacles...

If Don posted without a attitude, then it's all well and fine because
he might misunderstood me and didn't pay attention to my page anyway.
But he, and most moronic tech geekers, post with a air of superiority
with explicit insult and sneer. Then when you look at what they
actually have to say, combined with their attitude, you can see they
are like fart balloons.

See also:
“(Knowledge + Love) / Disrespectfulness”
http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/disrespectfulness.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: namekuseijin
On 29 jul, 22:28, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, i hasten to add, what i said above does not in any way indicate
> that i'm a “genius”. Many people, just because they are too stupid on
> tech subjects (and being a ass about it) and got correct by my haughty
> tone, assumes then that i think i'm a know-all. LOL. HOW do i start to
> educate them?

Perhaps by pumping out yet another Xah's huge monolithic stream of
consciousness block and forcing the text or a link to it down anyone's
throats?

If you want to discuss your opinions with people, do it in little
steps, in little chunks of text, by actually interacting with your
audience and replying to their thoughts as well rather than just
making them go through endlessly detailed opinions they won't care
about in the first place.
From: smn
On Jul 28, 1:16 am, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Looking-glass, there's the White Queen and Red Queen (of Chess).
> However, phrase “off with ... head” or execution didn't appear in
> Looking-glass. In Looking-glass, Alice start as a pawn, and in the end
> became a Queen herself too. 」
>
> 「• dormouse = Dormouse is a main character in Chapter 7, and also
> appeared in Chapter 11. The Dormouse is most of the time asleep or
> dormant and in that state got manipulated or abused by the March Hare
> and Mad Hatter. The dormouse never said “feed your head” or anything
> like it. However, “feeding” and “head” are recurrent themes. 」
>
> When logic and proportion
> Have fallen sloppy dead
> And the White Knight is talking backwards
> And the Red Queen's “off with her head!”
> Remember what the dormouse said:
> “FEED YOUR HEAD”
>
> YouTube search: White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane↗

  You know Lewis Carol was a logician and has a  book on symbolic
logic ,There are alot of logical puns in Alice -Looking glass,my
favorite is Alice's conversation with Humpty Dumpty about birthdays
and unbirthdays .To show that unbirthdays are better Humpty asks Alice
to do the calculation 365-1 and when Alice tells Humpty the answer is
364 Humpty says hmm -well I would like to see that done on paper .
  In her examination for Queen she is asked how much is 1+1+1+....
(said very fast) and Alice replies that she lost count ,the Queen
stares at her and says QUEENS NEVER LOSE COUNT. And when asked for the
French for fiddle dee dee .Alice says tell me what it means and I'll
give you the French for it ,the Queen says QUEENS NEVER MAKE BARGAINS.
  After the Alice books my favorite Lewis Carol is The Hunting of the
Snark  where the rules of inference are -I have said it once ,I have
said it twice,that alone should satisfy the crew .There I have said it
thrice ,and what I say three times is true.
  smn
From: Kenny
smn wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>   Xah
>> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>>
>> ☄
>
>   You know Lewis Carol was a logician and has a  book on symbolic
> logic ,There are alot of logical puns in Alice -Looking glass,my
> favorite is Alice's conversation with Humpty Dumpty about birthdays
> and unbirthdays .To show that unbirthdays are better Humpty asks Alice
> to do the calculation 365-1 and when Alice tells Humpty the answer is
> 364 Humpty says hmm -well I would like to see that done on paper .
>   In her examination for Queen she is asked how much is 1+1+1+....
> (said very fast) and Alice replies that she lost count ,the Queen
> stares at her and says QUEENS NEVER LOSE COUNT. And when asked for the
> French for fiddle dee dee .Alice says tell me what it means and I'll
> give you the French for it ,the Queen says QUEENS NEVER MAKE BARGAINS.

How abour?:

`Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.

`I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't
take more.'

`You mean you can't take less,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take
more than nothing.'

 From http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-VII.html, former workplace of
Randy Pausch, creator of Alice. Hmmm...

That page suggests to from me where Usenet got its style guide.
Meanwhile, back in Nazi America...

>   After the Alice books my favorite Lewis Carol is The Hunting of the
> Snark  where the rules of inference are -I have said it once ,I have
> said it twice,that alone should satisfy the crew .There I have said it
> thrice ,and what I say three times is true.
>   smn

...the exact passage cited by the Supreme Court in ruling against the
Bushtapo on the Gitmo concentration camps.

kxo
From: ······@gmail.com
On Jul 29, 11:08 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> `Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
>
> `I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, `so I can't
> take more.'
>
> `You mean you can't take less,' said the Hatter: `it's very easy to take
> more than nothing.'
>
>  From http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-VII.html , former workplace of
> Randy Pausch, creator of Alice. Hmmm...
>
> That page suggests to from me where Usenet got its style guide.

Great quote and comparison! LOL.

Btw, it's chapter 7, A Mad Tea-Party, of Alice in Wonderland,
available at:

http://xahlee.org/p/alice/alice-ch07.html

why didn't use my page Kenny? Support me (more) please!

> Meanwhile, back in Nazi America...
>
> >   After the Alice books my favorite Lewis Carol is The Hunting of the
> > Snark  where the rules of inference are -I have said it once ,I have
> > said it twice,that alone should satisfy the crew .There I have said it
> > thrice ,and what I say three times is true.
> >   smn
>
> ...the exact passage cited by the Supreme Court in ruling against the
> Bushtapo on the Gitmo concentration camps.
>
> kxo

Hey, arn't you being un-patriotic?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Kenny
······@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 29, 11:08 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, back in Nazi America...
>>
>>>   After the Alice books my favorite Lewis Carol is The Hunting of the
>>> Snark  where the rules of inference are -I have said it once ,I have
>>> said it twice,that alone should satisfy the crew .There I have said it
>>> thrice ,and what I say three times is true.
>>>   smn
>> ...the exact passage cited by the Supreme Court in ruling against the
>> Bushtapo on the Gitmo concentration camps.
>>
>> kxo
>
> Hey, arn't you being un-patriotic?

Oh, you would love it when I do not stand during the National Anthem. At
football games. That group is known for its solid grasp of subtle
Consitutional protections.

Speaking of assholes at large events, my earlier suggestion of the dull
as those most deserving of being banished reminded me of the time I saw
a Rangers hockey game from the blue (cheap) seats at the Garden and some
guy yelled out "Rangers suck" once a minute for the entire game. You
think I am exaggerating and you are wrong.

I understood I was honor-bound to engage the gentleman in a brawl, but I
was not really a fan, I just decided to go to that game, so my heart
would not have been in it. (To our section's disgrace someone had to
come over from a different section to give our bore what he obviously
was after.) I had, however, been tempted to address him at some point
and say that I really had no bone to pick with his disparagement of the
home team, but did he have to be so grindingly dull about it?

Where /is/ Jon?

Now that I think on it, I wish I had.

"I say, old chap, could you be a little less repetitious in your
excorciation of our hapless team?"

"Hunh?"

"Well, you just keep saying they suck over and over again. A little
variety would alleviate the tediousness of your conduct without
impinging at all on your right to your opinion."

"Shut the fuck up."

"Well, there's a start, good for you, a bit threadbare but at least you
did not say, 'You suck."

"Rangers suck!"

"Ah, case in point..."

kt