From: parnell
Subject: Lisp still better than all the rest
Some researchers at Harvard Medical school have created a "DSL" on top
of Lisp to describe protein interactions.
Here is the link it is full of great quotes about Lisp.

http://www.physorg.com/news136022928.html

"LISP isn't like typical programs, it's more like a conversation,"
says Gunawardena. "When we input data into Little b, Little b responds
to it and reasons over the data."

"This language is stepping into an unknown universe, when your
computer starts building things for you," says Gunawardena. "Your
whole relationship with the computer becomes a different one. You've
ceded some control to the machine. The machine is drawing inferences
on your behalf and constructing things for you."

Even without pattern matching ; )

From: Vend
Subject: Re: Lisp still better than all the rest
On 23 Lug, 16:48, parnell <·············@ronin-capital.com> wrote:
> Some researchers at Harvard Medical school have created a "DSL" on top
> of Lisp to describe protein interactions.
> Here is the link it is full of great quotes about Lisp.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news136022928.html
>
> "LISP isn't like typical programs, it's more like a conversation,"
> says Gunawardena. "When we input data into Little b, Little b responds
> to it and reasons over the data."
>
> "This language is stepping into an unknown universe, when your
> computer starts building things for you," says Gunawardena. "Your
> whole relationship with the computer becomes a different one. You've
> ceded some control to the machine. The machine is drawing inferences
> on your behalf and constructing things for you."
>
> Even without pattern matching ; )

Didn't they use any M$.NET# stuff?
From: Kenny
parnell wrote:
> Some researchers at Harvard Medical school have created a "DSL" on top
> of Lisp to describe protein interactions.
> Here is the link it is full of great quotes about Lisp.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news136022928.html
>

> "LISP isn't like typical programs, it's more like a conversation,"
> says Gunawardena. "When we input data into Little b, Little b responds
> to it and reasons over the data."
>

> "This language is stepping into an unknown universe, when your
> computer starts building things for you," says Gunawardena. "Your
> whole relationship with the computer becomes a different one. You've
> ceded some control to the machine. The machine is drawing inferences
> on your behalf and constructing things for you."
>
> Even without pattern matching ; )

Damn, His Frogginess's spam machine drumbeat has unseated Cells as
"Library most likely to be mocked with 'even without ____'."!

Must. Spam. More.

kzo
From: Jon Harrop
parnell wrote:
> Some researchers at Harvard Medical school have created a "DSL" on top
> of Lisp to describe protein interactions.
> Here is the link it is full of great quotes about Lisp.
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news136022928.html
>
> "LISP isn't like typical programs, it's more like a conversation,"
> says Gunawardena. "When we input data into Little b, Little b responds
> to it and reasons over the data."
>
> "This language is stepping into an unknown universe, when your
> computer starts building things for you," says Gunawardena. "Your
> whole relationship with the computer becomes a different one. You've
> ceded some control to the machine. The machine is drawing inferences
> on your behalf and constructing things for you."
>
> Even without pattern matching ; )

Meanwhile, their coworkers (Walter Fontana et al.) have
built a platform for the collective development and analysis of biological
models using OCaml:

  http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~krivine/kappaFactory.html

Similar you might think, except that the Lispers are still in the lab
without pattern matching whereas the OCamlers have left the lab, founded a
startup and built a product line.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u
From: namekuseijin
From: GP lisper
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 03:51:10 +0100, <···@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile, their coworkers (Walter Fontana et al.) have
> built a platform for the collective development and analysis of biological
> models using OCaml:
>
>   http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~krivine/kappaFactory.html
>
> Similar you might think, except that the Lispers are still in the lab
> without pattern matching whereas the OCamlers have left the lab, founded a
> startup and built a product line.

That sounds like work, which is something that an academic avoids at
all costs.  Try a better spam, since Lisp is rather capable in pattern
matching.

--
One of the strokes of genius from McCarthy
was making lists the center of the language - kt
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-07-26, Jon Harrop <···@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> parnell wrote:
>> Some researchers at Harvard Medical school have created a "DSL" on top
>> of Lisp to describe protein interactions.
>> Here is the link it is full of great quotes about Lisp.
>>
>> http://www.physorg.com/news136022928.html
>>
>> "LISP isn't like typical programs, it's more like a conversation,"
>> says Gunawardena. "When we input data into Little b, Little b responds
>> to it and reasons over the data."
>>
>> "This language is stepping into an unknown universe, when your
>> computer starts building things for you," says Gunawardena. "Your
>> whole relationship with the computer becomes a different one. You've
>> ceded some control to the machine. The machine is drawing inferences
>> on your behalf and constructing things for you."
>>
>> Even without pattern matching ; )
>
> Meanwhile, their coworkers (Walter Fontana et al.) have
> built a platform for the collective development and analysis of biological
> models using OCaml:
>
>   http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~krivine/kappaFactory.html
>
> Similar you might think, except that the Lispers are still in the lab
> without pattern matching whereas the OCamlers have left the lab, founded a
> startup and built a product line.

Did they?

``The software is in alpha-version but is freely downloadable on request.''

This looks like some agent-and-rule-based simulation with a GUI (the
latter being written in Java rather than OCaml).

It doesn't look like you can compare this with software that deals with
computing actual protein interactions.

From the screenshots you can guess that these guys are working with DNA, not
protein.

Quote from the original story:

``But as molecules go, DNA is pretty straight forward. With its simple
composition and linear structure, it easily lends itself to mathematical
models. Not so with proteins. In fact, proteins are an order of magnitude more
complex than DNA. It is proteins, not DNA, that carry out the cell's heavy
lifting. However, with their intricately folded three-dimensional shapes
determining a seemingly endless range of possible functions and their manifold
interactions with other proteins and with DNA, the leg-work required to
mathematically capture the protein universe seems absurd. ''

Similar, you might think---or maybe not.
From: Jon Harrop
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Did they?

Yes. Read about the company rather than the work that former intern did if
you want to know more.

> This looks like some agent-and-rule-based simulation with a GUI (the
> latter being written in Java rather than OCaml).

Plectix is one of many companies who recently started placing job adverts
requiring OCaml programmers for industrial work.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u