From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Internet LISP protocol
I was reading NANOG today and saw:

Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations

Turns out this has nothing to do with our favorite language.  LISP is
Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol, a mechanism intended to be used
with IPv6 to provide a single visible address for a server with multiple
true addresses (e.g. because it has connections to multiple ISPs).  More
info can supposedly be found at http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/ (the server
isn't responding for me).

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

From: Kenny
Subject: Re: Internet LISP protocol
Barry Margolin wrote:
> I was reading NANOG today and saw:
>
> Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations
>
> Turns out this has nothing to do with our favorite language.  LISP is
> Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol, a mechanism intended to be used
> with IPv6 to provide a single visible address for a server with multiple
> true addresses (e.g. because it has connections to multiple ISPs).  More
> info can supposedly be found at http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/ (the server
> isn't responding for me).

They used Python.

hth, kenny
From: Rob Warnock
Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Barry Margolin wrote:
| > I was reading NANOG today and saw:
| >    Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations
| > Turns out this has nothing to do with our favorite language.  LISP is
| > Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol, a mechanism intended to be used
| > with IPv6 to provide a single visible address for a server with multiple
| > true addresses (e.g. because it has connections to multiple ISPs).  More
| > info can supposedly be found at http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/ (the server
| > isn't responding for me).
|
| They used Python.
+---------------

We should confound them all by implementing the LISP protocol
in Common Lisp. In fact, we should create a new dialect of CL
specifically for this task! What shall we call it? How about
OpenLISP?!?  <http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/softwares/openlisp>

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Barry Margolin
In article <································@speakeasy.net>,
 ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:

> Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | Barry Margolin wrote:
> | > I was reading NANOG today and saw:
> | >    Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations
> | > Turns out this has nothing to do with our favorite language.  LISP is
> | > Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol, a mechanism intended to be used
> | > with IPv6 to provide a single visible address for a server with multiple
> | > true addresses (e.g. because it has connections to multiple ISPs).  More
> | > info can supposedly be found at http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/ (the server
> | > isn't responding for me).
> |
> | They used Python.
> +---------------
>
> We should confound them all by implementing the LISP protocol
> in Common Lisp. In fact, we should create a new dialect of CL
> specifically for this task! What shall we call it? How about
> OpenLISP?!?  <http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/softwares/openlisp>

And we could call our implementation of the LISP protocol OpenLISP-LISP.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-07-18, Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I was reading NANOG today and saw:
>
> Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations

Digging a little bit into this, it turns out that the naming is
a deliberate parody. Check out this Internet Draft, by the same authors:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-meyer-lisp-cons-01

``...

  3.  Definition of Terms  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    3.1.  LISP-CONS Name Spaces  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5

    3.2.  LISP-CONS Network Elements

      5.3.2.  A CAR's Connectivity Changes . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
      5.3.3.  A CAR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
      5.3.4.  A CDR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 ''

Hardy har har. What a monumentally stupid joke.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kaz Kylheku <········@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-07-18, Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> I was reading NANOG today and saw:
>>
>> Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations
>
> Digging a little bit into this, it turns out that the naming is
> a deliberate parody. Check out this Internet Draft, by the same authors:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-meyer-lisp-cons-01
>

> ``...
>
>   3.  Definition of Terms  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
>     3.1.  LISP-CONS Name Spaces  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
>
>     3.2.  LISP-CONS Network Elements

>       5.3.2.  A CAR's Connectivity Changes . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
>       5.3.3.  A CAR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
>       5.3.4.  A CDR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 ''
>
> Hardy har har. What a monumentally stupid joke.

Be happy they didn't defined recursive requests to Content Access
Resources to Content Distribution Resources and vice versa. You would
have had CADAR, CDDR, CADR, etc, requests!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··················@kkylheku.gmail.com>,
 Kaz Kylheku <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2008-07-18, Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I was reading NANOG today and saw:
> >
> > Announcement : publicly available LISP and shim6 implementations
>
> Digging a little bit into this, it turns out that the naming is
> a deliberate parody. Check out this Internet Draft, by the same authors:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-meyer-lisp-cons-01
>

> ``...
>
>   3.  Definition of Terms  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
>     3.1.  LISP-CONS Name Spaces  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
>
>     3.2.  LISP-CONS Network Elements

>       5.3.2.  A CAR's Connectivity Changes . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
>       5.3.3.  A CAR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
>       5.3.4.  A CDR Becomes Unreachable  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 ''
>
> Hardy har har. What a monumentally stupid joke.

I suppose it's better that they have a bad sense of humor than that
they're totally ignorant of a major programming language.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA