From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: does Larry Wall knew lisp when perl was taking shape?
in Wikipedia's perl article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

It is said that the design of perl is influenced by lisp.
quote:
“Influenced by	AWK, BASIC, BASIC-PLUS, C, C++, Lisp, Pascal, sed, Unix
shell”.

Does anyone know any evidence, that Larry Wall (the creator of Perl)
knew any lisp before release of perl 4 (1991-1994)?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Mirco Wahab
······@gmail.com wrote:
> in Wikipedia's perl article:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl
>
> It is said that the design of perl is influenced by lisp.
> quote:
> �Influenced by	AWK, BASIC, BASIC-PLUS, C, C++, Lisp, Pascal, sed, Unix
> shell�.
>
> Does anyone know any evidence, that Larry Wall (the creator of Perl)
> knew any lisp before release of perl 4 (1991-1994)?

There's strong evidence:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2007/12/06/soto-11.html

[Larry says:]
  For good or ill, when I went off to grad school, I studied
  linguistics, so the only computer language I used there was
  LISP. It was my own personal McCarthy era.

  Is LISP a candidate for a scripting language? While you can
  certainly write things rapidly in it, I cannot in good
  conscience call LISP a scripting language. By policy, LISP
  has never really catered to mere mortals.

  And, of course, mere mortals have never really forgiven
  LISP for not catering to them.

==> f'up c.l.p.m

Regards

M.