From: Jacobite1607
Subject: Programming a Nintendo DS
I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?

William

From: ······@math.purdue.edu
Subject: Re: Programming a Nintendo DS
On Jul 10, 4:32 pm, Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
> work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?

There has been a port of the Gambit Scheme interpreter to the Nintendo
DS.  Start with the Gambit mail list archives

Brad
From: namekuseijin
On Jul 10, 5:46 pm, ······@math.purdue.edu wrote:
> On Jul 10, 4:32 pm, Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
> > work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?
>
> There has been a port of the Gambit Scheme interpreter to the Nintendo
> DS.  Start with the Gambit mail list archives

Nice.  If only they can get past hello-world or factorial and program
a whole DS game in Scheme...
From: Oisín Mac Fhearaí
On Jul 11, 4:04 am, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:46 pm, ······@math.purdue.edu wrote:
>
> > On Jul 10, 4:32 pm, Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
> > > work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?
>
> > There has been a port of the Gambit Scheme interpreter to the Nintendo
> > DS.  Start with the Gambit mail list archives
>
> Nice.  If only they can get past hello-world or factorial and program
> a whole DS game in Scheme...

There's probably a C API for accessing the DS's graphics/sound/io
stuff which could be wrapped up in a library with FFI. Sounds like fun!
From: Alessio Stalla
On Jul 10, 10:32 pm, Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
> work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?
>
> William

Well there's at least a Linux which runs on the DS, so why couldn't it
be possible for a Lisp to run on it :)? AFAIK the main problem is the
limited amount of memory, in fact the Linux I was talking about
requires you to buy an additional 32Mb card expansion.
I even recall reading about a project of porting an existing Lisp
implementation on the DS... oh, there it is:
http://patricklogan.blogspot.com/2006/10/lisp-on-ds.html
It's Scheme actually... and I don't know which status the project is
in now. But surely it's interesting...

HTH,
Alessio
From: GP lisper
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:51:25 -0700 (PDT), <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 10:32�pm, Jacobite1607 <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm curious has anyone on here written a program, in Lisp, that can
>> work on a Nintendo DS, or is there even a way to do so?
>>
>> William
>
> Well there's at least a Linux which runs on the DS, so why couldn't it
> be possible for a Lisp to run on it :)? AFAIK the main problem is the
> limited amount of memory, in fact the Linux I was talking about
> requires you to buy an additional 32Mb card expansion.

That is using too recent a linux distro, probably with too many flashy
goodies in it.  You can cut linux down, but it will spend a lot of
time in swapping and usually you need to modify the supplied setup
procedure.  It depends upon the processor of the DS, but any of the
2.0 kernel distros can be plugged onto small machines easily.

--
One of the strokes of genius from McCarthy
was making lists the center of the language - kt