From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Good Lisp editor for Win
In article
<····································@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for a good LISP editor (for windows), I use CLISP on
> windows XP. I know this has been discussed before but all I found were
> references to Emacs. In all honesty I tried Emacs and I hate it, it's
> bulky and "unix like",

Emacs is not really Unix-like. It is not coming from the Unix tradition.

> I really do not want to use it to run common
> lisp from it. I am currently using Able which has a tclk editor and
> runs clisp which is integrated, it's good but limiting in the sense
> that I have to accept the version of clisp the developer has put into
> it and if there's a new clisp version I can't integrate it (or if i
> want to use it with other lisp implementations, I can't). Are there
> any other good free and light editors which let me run common lisp
> from it (not just a code editor and then do the silly load...command!)?

The following commercial Lisp implementations have
an editor (and IDE) for Windows:

Corman Lisp, Allegro CL and LispWorks. Allegro CL and LispWorks
have no-cost versions that run under Windows and might
be sufficient to edit Lisp code.

For Allegro CL there is the Allegro CL 8.1 Free Express Edition.
I haven't used it, but it should include the IDE:

http://www.franz.com/downloads/allegrodownload.lhtml

Allegro CL Express Edition should be relatively complete,
with a heap size limit. Check out the license.

LispWorks has a personal edition, free of charge.
It is also useful to edit Lisp programs, but quits
every 5 hours...

http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html

Corman Lisp is here:

http://www.cormanlisp.com/

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Dan Weinreb
On Jul 5, 5:00 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article
> <····································@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm looking for a good LISP editor (for windows), I use CLISP on
> > windows XP. I know this has been discussed before but all I found were
> > references to Emacs. In all honesty I tried Emacs and I hate it, it's
> > bulky and "unix like",
>
> Emacs is not really Unix-like. It is not coming from the Unix tradition.

Indeed, at the time Emacs was being developed, the Unix guys (e.g.
Bill Joy and friends at U.C. Berkeley) were developing "vi" to be
Unix's answer to Emacs.  Emacs is from the tradition of ITS (MIT's
Incompatible Timesharing System -- that name is an intentional joke),
on which Richard Stallman did the original written-in-TECO Emacs.
After that were my Eine/Zwei/Zmacs versions in Lisp for the Lisp
machine, Bernie Greenberg's Multics Emacs (in Lisp also), and many
others culminating in Stallman's GNU Emacs.

Francogrex, you might want to try Emacs again with SLIME, which is a
very good Lisp development environment.  But I know that some people
just don't like Emacs; to each his own.