From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Good Lisp editor for Win
On Jul 5, 9:39 pm, Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for a good LISP editor (for windows), I use CLISP on
> windows XP. I know this has been discussed before but all I found were
> references to Emacs. In all honesty I tried Emacs and I hate it, it's
> bulky and "unix like", I really do not want to use it to run common
> lisp from it. I am currently using Able which has a tclk editor and
> runs clisp which is integrated, it's good but limiting in the sense
> that I have to accept the version of clisp the developer has put into
> it and if there's a new clisp version I can't integrate it (or if i
> want to use it with other lisp implementations, I can't). Are there
> any other good free and light editors which let me run common lisp
> from it (not just a code editor and then do the silly load...command!)?

You can run ABLE with any version of CLISP if you run from source.
There's fairly detailed instructions on the website for how to do
this. Perhaps Kenny's right: writing instruction manuals is a waste of
time!

ABLE also works with SBCL (on Linux at least, I've not tested on
Windows but you may be lucky).

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/
From: ···············@gmail.com
On Jul 9, 3:22 pm, Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:53 pm, ···············@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I take this occasion to make few comments/questions about able version
> 14. I think version 13 had better features like highlighting/colouring
> the known LISP macros and function in SEXP (in blue) now it's all
> black text.

That's strange: syntax coloring certainly hasn't been removed and is
working on my Linux and XP machines so something is definitely amiss
there.

> And I miss also the ctrl-F4 and ctrl-F5 keys that let you
> copy/evaluate only selected parts of a program into the REPL for
> evaluation.

That's a fair point. I've taken a (possibly ill-advised) approach to
making ABLE do what most users want which basically means whoever
shouts loudest tends to get heard! The problem with the evaluation
mode is that some people want single SEXPs to evaluate, some want the
whole outer form, some want to place the cursor inside the parens,
some after the closing paren while yet others want to be able to
select a portion of text with the mouse or cursor keys and submit
that. In an attempt to keep things simple, I've tried to just retain
one model.

> Also I can't seem to get the F1 to work properly which is
> to Lookup the symbol under the cursor in the Hyperspec. (All in
> windows XP)

Have you looked in the config.lisp file and checked that *web-browser*
is set to your preferred web browser? Be careful with pathnames that
contain spaces (the comment above this setting suggests a typical
pathname for Internet Explorer for example). I'm using this feature on
XP with Firefox.

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/