From: Kenny
Subject: It was a good name in theory....Name That Software! Contest
I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
whole point.

Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.

Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
you think?

__ Tiltons Algebra

__ Stuck On Algebra!

Voting ends in a week!

Thx, kenny

From: viper-2
On Jul 4, 9:02 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
> whole point.
>
> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> Voting ends in a week!
>
> Thx, kenny

Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ? I think you used that name at
some point. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/msg/fb7d8e91894f66f9

Does the gaming factor combine to suggest "Algebra Playware"?

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Jul 4, 9:02 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
>> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
>> whole point.
>>
>> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
>> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
>> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
>> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
>> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
>> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
>> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>>
>> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
>> you think?
>>
>> __ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>>
>> Voting ends in a week!
>>
>> Thx, kenny
>
> Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ? I think you used that name at
> some point. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/msg/fb7d8e91894f66f9

It's amazing the stuff that comes out of my pen. I think i meant that as
a generic.

> Does the gaming factor combine to suggest "Algebra Playware"?

This is so cool. I deliberately did not include __ Other _________
because I knew that simple act would prevent a single solitary person
from actually helping me with the choice. I went further and made
explicit that I was not asking for alternatives. You took the trouble to
find a link to a message in which I seemed to use another name, offered
your own, and show no awareness whatsoever that I offered two choices.

This is going to keep me cheerful all week.

:)

kt

ps. TISLHFYP :)
From: viper-2
On Jul 4, 11:09 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
> >

> > Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ? I think you used that name at
> > some point.http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/msg/fb7d8e91894f66f9
>
> It's amazing the stuff that comes out of my pen. I think i meant that as
> a generic.
>

> > Does the gaming factor combine to suggest "Algebra Playware"?
>
> This is so cool. I deliberately did not include __ Other _________
> because I knew that simple act would prevent a single solitary person
> from actually helping me with the choice. I went further and made
> explicit that I was not asking for alternatives. You took the trouble to
> find a link to a message in which I seemed to use another name, offered
> your own, and show no awareness whatsoever that I offered two choices.

On the contrary, I'm completely aware. I apologize if you feel
offended, but you do seem to be at a loss for a name. A bit of market
feedback is usually a good idea, and as a potential consumer I just
didn't think the alternatives you proposed did much for the packaging
- of what might be brilliant software.;-)

There is lots of hope for you pal! By all means, be cheerful!

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Jul 4, 11:09 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> viper-2 wrote:
>>> Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ? I think you used that name at
>>> some point.http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/msg/fb7d8e91894f66f9
>> It's amazing the stuff that comes out of my pen. I think i meant that as
>> a generic.
>>

>>> Does the gaming factor combine to suggest "Algebra Playware"?
>> This is so cool. I deliberately did not include __ Other _________
>> because I knew that simple act would prevent a single solitary person
>> from actually helping me with the choice. I went further and made
>> explicit that I was not asking for alternatives. You took the trouble to
>> find a link to a message in which I seemed to use another name, offered
>> your own, and show no awareness whatsoever that I offered two choices.
>
> On the contrary, I'm completely aware.

btw, that is not on the contrary: I carefully specified that you /showed
no awareness/ and you did not and had you done so offering alternatives
would have been juuuuuusssssst peachy.

> I apologize if you feel
> offended,

Offended? I was sincerely delighted that my expectations for YP was so
perfectly lived down to, as I was when two emails came in offering
off-grid names. I mean, I thought I had headed it off -- ha! I
underestimated YP and am delighted to have done so.

Sure, my first choice was useful feedback. But failing that your
response was a fine consolation prize.

but you do seem to be at a loss for a name.

No, I am having trouble choosing between two good ones with vastly
different looks and feels.

A bit of market
> feedback is usually a good idea, and as a potential consumer I just
> didn't think the alternatives you proposed did much for the packaging

OK, thanks for the eventual feedback!

peace, kenny

ps. Did you say "Algebra Playware"?! Oh, my. Is that because
AlgeBlaster, Geogebra, and -- brace yorself -- The Algebrator were
already taken? :) k

pps. The google group is Stuck On Algebra!, membership is invitation
only (because otherwise it's a wiki and anyone can edit the page, and
they do not offer a sensible combination like "anyone can post but only
the owner can..."). Anyway, anyone who wants to download the software
(in a week or two, Windows only until enough people scream for a mac
version) and track SOA!s progress should shoot me an email and I'll set
you up. p,k
From: Ariel
>The Algebrator

I lol'd.  Reminds me of a friend who teaches high school math.

__  Tiltons Algebra
_x_ Stuck on Algebra!

Since it's already the name of your group and also because your name (minus one letter) is what one of my friends calls boobies.  But now that I'm knee deep in the gutter... oh lord.
-a
From: Kenny
Ariel wrote:
>> The Algebrator
>
> I lol'd.  Reminds me of a friend who teaches high school math.

Wow, $75: http://www.softmath.com/

And all it does is do your homework for you. I mean, that certainly
helps when one is dead stuck, but still....

> __  Tiltons Algebra
> _x_ Stuck on Algebra!
>
> Since it's already the name of your group ...

Actually that is the other way around, I got two quick votes for SOA!
and saw c.l.l being its usual self and decided to go with the nutty name
--actually one big factor was that a rather captious focus group member
had flipped over the name, made me think it would do well.

Thx for the confirming input!

kt
From: Alex Mizrahi
> No, I am having trouble choosing between two good ones with vastly
> different looks and feels.

have trouble choosing? choose both!

Tilton's stuck on Algebra!
(Somebody help Tilton!)

p.s. somebody had to saay this..
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
"Alex Mizrahi" <············@gmail.com> writes:

>> No, I am having trouble choosing between two good ones with vastly
>> different looks and feels.
>
> have trouble choosing? choose both!

No, really, choose all of of them.  Have several different web sites,
each selling each one of the software.  Have comparative lists:

                  features:     Aaa Bbb Ccc ... Xxx  Yyy  Zzz

Stuck on Algebra v1.0  $100      X   X   X       X    X
Algebraware      v1.4  $110      X   X           X         X
Tilton's Algebra v2.1   $95      X   X   X            X    X

Just make some minor features compile-time optional, and have various
colors and pictures for the GUI.  That's a classical marketing
trick.  OEM and all that...

> Tilton's stuck on Algebra!
> (Somebody help Tilton!)
>
> p.s. somebody had to saay this..

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 19:32:08 -0700 (PDT), viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>On Jul 4, 9:02 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
>> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
>> whole point.
>>
>> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
>> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
>> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
>> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
>> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
>> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
>> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>>
>> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
>> you think?
>>
>> __ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>>
>> Voting ends in a week!
>>
>> Thx, kenny
>
>Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ? I think you used that name at
>some point. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/msg/fb7d8e91894f66f9
>
>Does the gaming factor combine to suggest "Algebra Playware"?

How about Algebra Playmate? Solve algebra problems to see Playboy models in
various states of undress!

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: Kenny
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> How about Algebra Playmate? Solve algebra problems to see Playboy models in
> various states of undress!

That would be the development version. I'd go there in production but
for the half of my market that is female.

kt
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>> How about Algebra Playmate? Solve algebra problems to see Playboy models in
>> various states of undress!
>>

> That would be the development version. I'd go there in production but
> for the half of my market that is female.

That's why you'd make a Algebra Playmate with blue icons, and another
Algebra Playhunk with rose icons.

From: viper-2
On Jul 5, 12:16 pm, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

> That's why you'd make a Algebra Playmate with blue icons, and another
> Algebra Playhunk with rose icons.

A balanced approach to gender is rare in a hacker, no wonder you write
such clever macros.  See, "Algebra Playware" really catches on, as
would "Player Algebra" or some other combination of "algebra" and
"play".;-)

This software is designed for high school kids, though. We don't want
them focusing on the wrong things, so they won't need the rose and
blue icons.

--agt
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> writes:
> Whatever happened to "Algebraware" ?
All the bra ware?

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live.
From: Jason
Kenny wrote:
> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
> whole point.
>
> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> Voting ends in a week!
>
> Thx, kenny

Y Algebra
From: viper-2
On Jul 4, 11:05 pm, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
> > noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
> > whole point.
>
> > Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
> > practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
> > back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
> > Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
> > name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
> > focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
> > mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>
> > Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> > you think?
>
> > __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> > __ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> > Voting ends in a week!
>
> > Thx, kenny
>
> Y Algebra

That somehow brings to mind Graham's "Y Combinator".

--agt
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jul 5, 3:02 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> _X_ Stuck On Algebra!

Mos def. "Suck on algebra's more like it!" It's even compatible with
the sense of humor of your target market :-)
From: Kenny
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> On Jul 5, 3:02 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>__ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>>_X_ Stuck On Algebra!
>

> Mos def. "Suck on algebra's more like it!" It's even compatible with
> the sense of humor of your target market :-)

Good call, grasshopper:

   http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/

Her followup comes out in August. "Kiss My Math". Cover photo pretty
much has her mooning Pre-Algebra:

   http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Math-Showing-Pre-Algebra/dp/1594630496

My people are talking to her people.

:)

kt
From: Don Geddis
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote on Sat, 05 Jul 2008:
> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> Good call, grasshopper:
>   http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/
> Her followup comes out in August. "Kiss My Math". Cover photo pretty much has
> her mooning Pre-Algebra:
>   http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Math-Showing-Pre-Algebra/dp/1594630496
> My people are talking to her people.

That's a lot of competition.  Besides Winnie being a lot cuter than you,
she also has one of the world's lowest Erdos-Bacon numbers (6):
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s-Bacon_number

Good luck catching up to that record.

Or growing as photogenic.

Perhaps your use of Lisp will give you some advantage...

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               ···@geddis.org
It sure would be nice if we got a day off for the president's birthday, like
they do for the queen.  Of course, then we would have a lot of people voting
for a candidate born on July 3 or December 26, just for the long weekends.
	-- Imitation Deep Thoughts
From: Kenny
Don Geddis wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote on Sat, 05 Jul 2008:
>
>>Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>>Good call, grasshopper:
>>  http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/
>>Her followup comes out in August. "Kiss My Math". Cover photo pretty much has
>>her mooning Pre-Algebra:
>>  http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Math-Showing-Pre-Algebra/dp/1594630496
>>My people are talking to her people.
>

> That's a lot of competition.

Competition? My people are talking to her people.

  Besides Winnie being a lot cuter than you,

Lemme lose a few pounds, then I want a recount.

> Perhaps your use of Lisp will give you some advantage...

Lisp certainly has been a joy lately.

kt
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jul 5, 12:39 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> > On Jul 5, 3:02 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>__ Tiltons Algebra
>
> >>_X_ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> > Mos def. "Suck on algebra's more like it!" It's even compatible with
> > the sense of humor of your target market :-)
>
> Good call, grasshopper:
>
>    http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/
>
> Her followup comes out in August. "Kiss My Math". Cover photo pretty
> much has her mooning Pre-Algebra:
>
>    http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Math-Showing-Pre-Algebra/dp/1594630496
>
> My people are talking to her people.
>
> :)

Holy crap, Winnie Cooper grew up and wrote math books???1! My psychic
powers tell me that my nieces might be rolling their eyes at some
upcoming gifts from a certain uncle ...
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jul 5, 3:02 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
> whole point.
>
> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
 Tilton who?
If it was Euler, Gaus, Archimed ...
Ney

> __ Stuck On Algebra!
Yeah

From: Sohail Somani
_X__ Tiltons Algebra

I like software with a personal touch to it myself.
From: D Herring
Kenny wrote:
> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
> whole point.
>
> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> Voting ends in a week!

If I cared, I'd vote stuck-on-algebra.

Since you didn't ask, here's some other ideas.

Kenny's Math?  Seems more friendly; possible "they killed ..." tie-in.

al-jabr?  Great for the 911 crowd.

math rulez?

Math Buddy?  Algebra Buddy?

Algebrator?

Teddy Mathxpin?

kt-Math?

- Daniel

P.S. What ever happened to the medical feedback form software?  We're
doing an online/paper survey at work...  just curious.
From: Kenny
D Herring wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
>
>> I was gonna call it Theory Y Algebra just to confuse people but nobody
>> noticed the second Y and thought it was Theory Algebra, missing the
>> whole point.
>>
>> Then i was going to call it Practical Algebra since it is all about
>> practice, but too many things are called Practical Algebra. So I went
>> back to my original idea, good old solid simple but anglo-elegant
>> Tiltons Algebra and that is what it will be unless i go with a goofy
>> name, like a candidate that got a strong positive reaction from one
>> focus group member: Stuck on Algebra! Bit of a pun there since it can
>> mean you are having trouble with it or that you love it.
>>
>> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what
>> do you think?
>>
>> __ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>>
>> Voting ends in a week!
>

> If I cared, ...

Charming opening!

I'd vote stuck-on-algebra.

Yep, by a landslide.

> Since you didn't ask, here's some other ideas.
>
> Kenny's Math?  Seems more friendly; possible "they killed ..." tie-in.
>
> al-jabr?  Great for the 911 crowd.

Both were considered. al-Khwarizmi /is/ one of the gold medals.

> math rulez?

Too close for comfort:

http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/

> Math Buddy?  Algebra Buddy?
>
> Algebrator?

Taken. (Yes, someone has taste as bad as yours.)

> Teddy Mathxpin?

I like it!

> kt-Math?
>
> - Daniel
>
> P.S. What ever happened to the medical feedback form software?

Ran out of money, could not land a customer, each reinforcing the other.
  I might acquire the rights if the Algebra software does well and
resurrect.... nah, if I have that much money I think I take up gp-cart
racing.

>  We're
> doing an online/paper survey at work...  just curious.

If the survey is check boxes and numerics for the most part we'd just
need an XHTML back end (OpenAIT?). If you have a lot of freeform

p,k
From: Frank "frgo" a.k.a DG1SBG
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Too close for comfort:
>
> http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/

Wow, what a niiiice girly.

Everybody should do the quiz:

http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/quiz/

And here's my results:

###
Your Score: 13

Score: 12-23

Looks like you have struck a good balance, which is not always easy to
do, so congratulations!

After all, there can be a temptation to dumb ourselves down sometimes,
especially when we're faced with a situation in which someone else's
feelings might get hurt if we don't. And sometimes we just want to
shake our friends who aren't living up to their full potential...
but it's not our job to change them, either. As perhaps you've
learned, the only real way to lead is by example... not by being
preachy.

There's also a big temptation to "fit in"- If your friends aren't
doing well in a certain class, you may find it tempting to make them
feel better by pretending not to do well, or worse - studying less �
so you actually don't do as well. This happens all the time... but
it sounds like you may resist this temptation pretty well.

Although you've done well so far, pressures will increase throughout
high school and beyond, and it will likely become more and more of a
challenge to balance things like getting along with others while
maintaining a strong sense of self. Your mission is to keep your
head on your shoulders as these pressures increase around you!

So what now? Now's the time to start really paying attention to
your friends... and start noticing who you admire, and who you don't
admire. Who, among your friends, would you say is really moral, and
makes good choices? Who, among your friends, really tries hard and
is honest and courageous? Who, among your friends, would you say
probably doesn't make the best choices and you are proud to say
you're pretty different from?

Here's the thing: Over time, We tend to become like the people we
hang around. And not just because we want them to feel better about
their flaws, but because they are serving as an example for us,
whether we realize it or not. So, we'll begin to adopt their habits,
good and bad. The lesson is, we should be careful who we choose as
our friends!

So think about this, and it'll help you maintain the balance you
seem to have now. Congrats!

###

Wow - does that mean I should stop talking to Kenny? ;-) Or, maybe,
this Newsgroup?

Looking forward to see more test results ... Hehe!

Frank

--

  Frank Goenninger

  frgo(at)mac(dot)com

  "Don't ask me! I haven't been reading comp.lang.lisp long enough to
  really know ..."
From: Kenny
Frank "frgo" a.k.a DG1SBG wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Too close for comfort:
>>
>> http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/
>
> Wow, what a niiiice girly.

I believe the preferred spelling is grrl. :)

> Everybody should do the quiz:
>
> http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/quiz/
>
> And here's my results:
>
> ###
> Your Score: 13

I got a 23. Never sure whether to give the right answer or the honest
answer on these deals, so I did both. But for too many questions the
answer was the one I carefully avoided allowing you yobbos on the
software naming.

thx, btw, to all who participated.

kt
From: Patrick May
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what
> do you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> __ Stuck On Algebra!

     It depends on what you want on the front cover of the manual.
The first option requires a Peter Norton style, arms crossed,
approachable yet credible, picture of someone named Tilton.  How well
do you clean up?

     By the way, I have several children in your demographic.  Does
that weight my vote higher?

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.  | Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO
          ···@spe.com  | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)
From: Kenny
Patrick May wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what
>>do you think?
>>
>>__ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>>__ Stuck On Algebra!
>

>      It depends on what you want on the front cover of the manual.

Manual? What part of "Kenny" do you not understand?!

> The first option requires a Peter Norton style, arms crossed,
> approachable yet credible, picture of someone named Tilton.  How well
> do you clean up?

No, the idea is that it sounds Anglo, established, recognized, Ivy
League. Oh, they will think, I've heard of that.

>      By the way, I have several children in your demographic.  Does
> that weight my vote higher?

er, it weights /their/ votes thru the roof. :)

kt
From: ······@gmail.com
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
> you think?
>
> __ Tiltons Algebra
>
> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>
> Voting ends in a week!

I'd go for Stuck On Algebra. It's more catchy.

Btw, i never understood what's your Algebra stuff is about. Isn't it
just a software for highschool level algebra? But you brag about it
incessently and always incoherently. Similar is your cells stuff.
Hurting is that you deliberately never (or almost never) explain in
any sincere way about it, but just throw abstruse humour.

Also, you used to plaster several quotes about algebra in your sig
that goes more than 10 lines. I don't remember exactly what (but
google groups easily have a record of them), but just remember those
quotes are quite silly. Its degree of stupidity offended me. It is NOT
how such extremely beautiful subjct mathematics, should be marketed.
Nor are they, effective quotes for marketing math or your software.

About your “cells”. What the fuck is it?? A linear source code
language that functions like spread-sheet? I'm not sure i need to
know. Humour me.

Back to the original subject... The name “Tiltons Algebra” is
confusing as well as offensive. It's not a good name because the name
doesn't impart what it is. It is confusing and offensive because, real
algebra (O note: not algebra of the reals), like real mathematician's
algebra, are sometimes named after a mathematician. e.g. Clifford
Algebra. So, your “Tiltons Algebra” — a mere software math tutorial
for highschooler — hints on the audacity of feigned authority. If
yours is a Tiltons Algebra, then the world should know about Xah
Mathematics, Xah Computer Science, Xah Science, Xah Logic.

You might think that this confusive and offensive qualities makes
Tiltons Algebra a good name for marketing purposes. No. The name is,
as i said, opaque. But, it is also bland, un-memorable.

Stuck On Algebra, is actually good. As you indicated, that one could
be stuck in both ways. The phrase is easy on the ears, simple to
understand, hints on its purpose, pique the curious. It, in a word,
strikes a impression. (if you choose this name and your endeavor
fails, i'm not responsible for it, however.)

You need to buy me pizza, ok?

PS I wrote the bulk of this post yesterday, when there are maybe 7 or
so posts. Today, there are 25. I don't like to post trivial or off-
topic posts. I've been dithering to post this post actually. Kenny,
you, on the other hand, shits all over comp.lang.lisp
freewheeling. ... all's all right excep i really cant stand most the
comp.lang.lisp regulars with their fucking drivels.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Kenny
······@gmail.com wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>> Not much of a contest since I am not asking for other names, but what do
>> you think?
>>
>> __ Tiltons Algebra
>>
>> __ Stuck On Algebra!
>>
>> Voting ends in a week!
>
> I'd go for Stuck On Algebra. It's more catchy.

Thanks, I agree. It has gotten a strong response, always a Good Sign.

> Btw, i never understood what's your Algebra stuff is about. Isn't it
> just a software for highschool level algebra? But you brag about it
> incessently and always incoherently.

Unlike other software, mine accepts students problems, offers hints and
corrections after every step, depending on how far they have gotten. It
also has the easiest math editor ever created.

I should be bragging more.

> Similar is your cells stuff.
> Hurting is that you deliberately never (or almost never) explain in
> any sincere way about it, but just throw abstruse humour.
>
> Also, you used to plaster several quotes about algebra in your sig
> that goes more than 10 lines. I don't remember exactly what (but
> google groups easily have a record of them), but just remember those
> quotes are quite silly. Its degree of stupidity offended me. It is NOT
> how such extremely beautiful subjct mathematics, should be marketed.
> Nor are they, effective quotes for marketing math or your software.
>
> About your “cells”. What the fuck is it?? A linear source code
> language that functions like spread-sheet? I'm not sure i need to
> know. Humour me.

No. There is quite a long detailed explanation in CVS,
cells-manifesto.txt. If you do not understand something, ask. If you
have not and will not read it, why should I bother?

> Back to the original subject... The name “Tiltons Algebra” is
> confusing as well as offensive. It's not a good name because the name
> doesn't impart what it is. It is confusing and offensive because, real
> algebra (O note: not algebra of the reals), like real mathematician's
> algebra, are sometimes named after a mathematician. e.g. Clifford
> Algebra. So, your “Tiltons Algebra” — a mere software math tutorial
> for highschooler — hints on the audacity of feigned authority. If
> yours is a Tiltons Algebra, then the world should know about Xah
> Mathematics, Xah Computer Science, Xah Science, Xah Logic.
>
> You might think that this confusive and offensive qualities makes
> Tiltons Algebra a good name for marketing purposes. No. The name is,
> as i said, opaque. But, it is also bland, un-memorable.
>
> Stuck On Algebra, is actually good. As you indicated, that one could
> be stuck in both ways. The phrase is easy on the ears, simple to
> understand, hints on its purpose, pique the curious. It, in a word,
> strikes a impression. (if you choose this name and your endeavor
> fails, i'm not responsible for it, however.)

I /have/ chosen the name and I have crossed you off the list of people I
will be blaming.

Thanks for your careful, considered, and copious input.

> You need to buy me pizza, ok?

Any time. Beers, too, if you like. Not sure we need the pizza.

> PS I wrote the bulk of this post yesterday, when there are maybe 7 or
> so posts. Today, there are 25. I don't like to post trivial or off-
> topic posts. I've been dithering to post this post actually. Kenny,
> you, on the other hand, shits all over comp.lang.lisp

What are we supposed to do on Usenet, save the fucking world?

> freewheeling. ... all's all right excep i really cant stand most the
> comp.lang.lisp regulars with their fucking drivels.

I am here for the newbies.

hth,k
From: Frank Buss
Kenny wrote:

> ······@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'd go for Stuck On Algebra. It's more catchy.
>
> Thanks, I agree. It has gotten a strong response, always a Good Sign.

Think about who is reading this newsgroup. Very unlike that it is your
target group (unless some prof likes to bother some students with a Lisp
homework). I would suggest something more positive, like Algebra Master, or
more personal, like Kenny's Algebra. You should ask some people of your
target group which name they like. Something like a market survey.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Leandro Rios
······@gmail.com escribió:

[snip]

> I don't like to post trivial or off-
> topic posts.

Please, Xah, we all know about the importance, relevance, conciseness
and moderation of your posts. You don't need to mention it.

Leandro.