From: Parth Malwankar
Subject: ecl + ecl-readline
Hello,

Has anyone tried using ecl-readline (0.1.0 - the latest) with ecl recently?
I tried this with ecl 0.9j and seem to be getting the following error:

     [parth:~]% ecl
     ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9j
     Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
     Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
     Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
     ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
     under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
     Type :h for Help.  Top level.
     > (require 'asdf)
     NIL
     > (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'ecl-readline)
/home/parth/.ecl/systems/ecl-readline.asd into
     ; #<ASDF38 package>
     ; registering #<SYSTEM ECL-READLINE 144776672> as ECL-READLINE
     NIL
     > (ecl-readline::enable)
     In function MAKE-FOREIGN-DATA-FROM-ARRAY, the value of argument is
             "/home/parth/.ecl-history"
     which is not of expected type BASE-STRING
     Broken at EVAL.Available restarts:
     1. (USE-VALUE) Supply a new value of type BASE-STRING.
     Broken at ECL-READLINE::ENABLE.

Couldn't really understand whats happening as I am somewhat new
to both ecl and lisp. I have explored clisp and sbcl till now and
am now trying out ecl.

ecl seems to be a very nice implementation. I like the
way it works with C but I would really like to have features
like tab-completion and history work in the interactive shell.

I also like that it has native threads. Does anyone
know if it supports threads on Win32 (green? or native?).

I would like to stick to Vim and use the interactive ecl shell separately,
so I suppose emacs and slime are out.
[I know its probably blasphemy to even say this here ;)]

Linedit works very nicely with SBCL. Have anyone used it with ecl?

Thanks.
--
Parth Malwankar
From: Parth Malwankar
Subject: Re: ecl + ecl-readline
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 13:53:46 +0530, Parth Malwankar
<·················@parth.malwankar> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone tried using ecl-readline (0.1.0 - the latest) with ecl
> recently?
> I tried this with ecl 0.9j and seem to be getting the following error:
>
>      [parth:~]% ecl
>      ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9j

> "/home/parth/.ecl/site/ecl-readline-0.1.0/ecl-readline.fas"
>      NIL
>      > (ecl-readline::enable)
>      In function MAKE-FOREIGN-DATA-FROM-ARRAY, the value of argument is
>              "/home/parth/.ecl-history"
>      which is not of expected type BASE-STRING
>      Broken at EVAL.Available restarts:
>      1. (USE-VALUE) Supply a new value of type BASE-STRING.
>      Broken at ECL-READLINE::ENABLE.
>      >>

> Couldn't really understand whats happening as I am somewhat new
> to both ecl and lisp. I have explored clisp and sbcl till now and
> am now trying out ecl.
>
> ecl seems to be a very nice implementation. I like the
> way it works with C but I would really like to have features
> like tab-completion and history work in the interactive shell.
>
> I also like that it has native threads. Does anyone
> know if it supports threads on Win32 (green? or native?).
>
> I would like to stick to Vim and use the interactive ecl shell
> separately,
> so I suppose emacs and slime are out.
> [I know its probably blasphemy to even say this here ;)]
>
> Linedit works very nicely with SBCL. Have anyone used it with ecl?
>
> Thanks.

Found commandline editing and autocompletion at Edi Weitz's
page (http://www.weitz.de/completions.html).
Works nicely, but only think nit is that the completions are based
on predefined completions in a file so functions/data defined
interactively or loaded is not available. But its way better than
nothing :) Thanks for the putting up the post Edi.

--
Parth Malwankar