From: ···········@gmail.com
Subject: Xemacs, Slime, Gnu Lisp usage problem
Hey, I'm getting used to XEmacs at the same time learning about Lisp,
so this is probably a newbie question.

I've set up my XEmacs, Gnu Lisp, and Slime as documented here:
http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/Using_XEmacs_as_a_lisp_shell

I can get to the REPL using M-x slime  and I can successfully run
commands such as
>> (+ 2 3)
5

However, when trying to open a file buffer, so I can write libraries/
save work/etc, I try it using C-x C-f, give it a file name, and enter
lisp code.  When I try to compile using C-c C-c or C-c C-k, I get "Not
connected"  Also, the minibuffer is also always filled with the line:
Polling "C:\\Documen~\\zcalver\\Locals~1\\Temp\\slime.5876".. (Abort
with 'M-x slime-abort-connection'.)

When I try defining a hello world function and running the compile
command, I can barely see this "Not connected" line, which is promptly
covered up by the Polling line listed above.

First, how do I get rid of that obnoxious polling line?  Second off,
how do I open a buffer that will allow me to write libraries and such
to a file and then compile them/load them for use in the REPL?

Thanks bunches,
Zach Calvert

From: Harold Lee
Subject: Re: Xemacs, Slime, Gnu Lisp usage problem
On Jan 18, 2:12 pm, ···········@gmail.com wrote:

> However, when trying to open a file buffer, so I can write libraries/
> save work/etc, I try it using C-x C-f, give it a file name, and enter
> lisp code.  When I try to compile using C-c C-c or C-c C-k, I get "Not
> connected"  Also, the minibuffer is also always filled with the line:
> Polling "C:\\Documen~\\zcalver\\Locals~1\\Temp\\slime.5876".. (Abort
> with 'M-x slime-abort-connection'.)

That's the gcl (Gnu Lisp) prompt you're looking at, not the Slime
prompt. Slime starts up the inferior process and tells it to run the
Slime server (written in Common Lisp) while trying to connect to it
using the Slime client (written in elisp).

IIRC, gcl does not implement the Common Lisp standard, and may not be
able to run the Slime server. To test the idea, try running gcl in a
separate window, load slime and try to start the server with code like
this:

(load "swank-loader.lisp")
(swank:create-swank-server)

Then, if that goes well, you can M-x slime-connect from emacs.

-Harold
From: vanekl
···········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey, I'm getting used to XEmacs at the same time learning about Lisp,
> so this is probably a newbie question.
>
> I've set up my XEmacs, Gnu Lisp, and Slime as documented here:
> http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/Using_XEmacs_as_a_lisp_shell
>
> I can get to the REPL using M-x slime  and I can successfully run
> commands such as
>>> (+ 2 3)
> 5
>
> However, when trying to open a file buffer, so I can write libraries/
> save work/etc, I try it using C-x C-f, give it a file name, and enter
> lisp code.  When I try to compile using C-c C-c or C-c C-k, I get "Not
> connected"  Also, the minibuffer is also always filled with the line:
> Polling "C:\\Documen~\\zcalver\\Locals~1\\Temp\\slime.5876".. (Abort
> with 'M-x slime-abort-connection'.)
>
> When I try defining a hello world function and running the compile
> command, I can barely see this "Not connected" line, which is promptly
> covered up by the Polling line listed above.
>
> First, how do I get rid of that obnoxious polling line?  Second off,
> how do I open a buffer that will allow me to write libraries and such
> to a file and then compile them/load them for use in the REPL?
>
> Thanks bunches,
> Zach Calvert

You'll probably get better responses if you are able to specify full program/OS/version numbers.

The journey to get a free lisp working with Slime/XEmacs on Windows is fraught with peril, grasshopper.
There are probably only a handful of people in the world using the combination of programs you are working with.
I had problems with native windows xemacs, too. When I changed to cygwin xemacs and clisp, I was able to connect
them together without problem. Other people have reported that plain emacs works better than xemacs. Clisp is a
high-quality Lisp that is a great to learn on, is used by a bunch of people, and runs well on windows.
If you don't require multithreading, this would be the first avenue I would try. If you need a multithreading,
free Lisp on Windows, there are adventurous things you can try that I wont bore you with now. If you have spare
scratch, buying a commercial package such as Lispworks will get you up and running the quickest but set you back
the cost of a really fine bike.
--
There's a good part of Computer Science that's like magic. Unfortunately there's a bad part of Computer Science
that's like religion. Hal Abelson