From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Lispers stop posting interesthing threads I'M WARNING YOU
I have an application to write and you shifting my focus by posting
interesthing staff liek those  about embedded prolog, making me now
learning prolog, something that would never happened if it wasn't
embedded in  lisp(*).  Somebody else posted library called heresy with
Haskell staff that would most likely make me try Haskell after Prolog
and finally if Mark Tarver listens to my advice (**) and makes Qi asdf-
able I would definately learn it, and than I could change my app ship
date to Mart 2020.
This is why lisp doesn't have applications. Programming in it is just
too fun. Programming should be painfull to make people finish their
tasks ASAP and get away to their homes and talk to their kids they
jave a real job. And it's  Ansi comittee fault, they've should
included a special operator in the language that should notice when
lisper is having to much fun and release electric shocks immediately.
This operator will make lispers write all the software in the world
instead of playing around.
Jesus why am I talking to you, you wouldn't listen. Is it possible to
killfile a whole group? Oh . nevermind I use googlegroups.

Lisp, one language to rule them all (***)
Slobodan

(*) When I say lisp, I mean common lisp, for other uses I use lisp
family of languages.
(**) Slobodan's third rule of software development : Don't listen to
me.
(***) Inspired by latest fashion, which revives  embedding (insert a
programming language here)  into lisp

From: Ken Tilton
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> I have an application to write and you shifting my focus by posting
> interesthing staff liek those  about embedded prolog, making me now
> learning prolog, something that would never happened if it wasn't
> embedded in  lisp(*).  Somebody else posted library called heresy with
> Haskell staff that would most likely make me try Haskell after Prolog
> and finally if Mark Tarver listens to my advice (**) and makes Qi asdf-
> able I would definately learn it, and than I could change my app ship
> date to Mart 2020.
> This is why lisp doesn't have applications. Programming in it is just
> too fun. Programming should be painfull to make people finish their
> tasks ASAP and get away to their homes and talk to their kids they
> jave a real job.

This is no joke. Stumbling onto Cells totally distracted me the first
time I tried to create this math software, and the second time OpenGL
and OpenAl got me. So far so good this time, but if I have to do my own
WAM or start hacking PAIPLOG.... <sigh> giving serious thought to
bartender's school so I can take another ten years to finish the math
program.

You missed another problem: Lisp is so powerful it becomes possible to
toss off astonishing cool features so effortlessy that, well, think
feature stampede, not creep.

Basically, abandon all hope.

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Slobodan Blazeski
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> > I have an application to write and you shifting my focus by posting
> > interesthing staff liek those  about embedded prolog, making me now
> > learning prolog, something that would never happened if it wasn't
> > embedded in  lisp(*).  Somebody else posted library called heresy with
> > Haskell staff that would most likely make me try Haskell after Prolog
> > and finally if Mark Tarver listens to my advice (**) and makes Qi asdf-
> > able I would definately learn it, and than I could change my app ship
> > date to Mart 2020.
> > This is why lisp doesn't have applications. Programming in it is just
> > too fun. Programming should be painfull to make people finish their
> > tasks ASAP and get away to their homes and talk to their kids they
> > jave a real job.
>
> This is no joke. Stumbling onto Cells totally distracted me the first
> time I tried to create this math software, and the second time OpenGL
> and OpenAl got me. So far so good this time, but if I have to do my own
> WAM or start hacking PAIPLOG.... <sigh> giving serious thought to
> bartender's school so I can take another ten years to finish the math
> program.
Reminds me of Dilbert's world smartest garbage men, the guy who easily
solves the most complex problem in the world, yet he's working as
garbage man.As Adams says:
...the irony of a genius working as a garbage man is that we really
have no right to question his choice of careers as we are not as smart
as he.
One potential answer is that he's having to much fun sciencing, like
we do with lisp