From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: TRACE writes to STDIN or STDOUT?
Re: http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/m_tracec.htm#trace

The spec doesnt say anything about STDIN and STDOUT, understandably
because these are just Unix concepts?

My question:

1 - For me, TRACE output is excellent log info. If I were writing a
web app, I would like to have this info available by running tail -f
on a file. How would you do this? Of course, because a cgi program
responds via STDOUT, the trace output would have to go to another
output channel.

From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: TRACE writes to STDERR or STDOUT? (was: Re: TRACE writes to STDIN or 	STDOUT?)
Much better to use the the output streams in the title than one input
and one output :)

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: TRACE writes to STDIN or STDOUT?
Terrence Brannon <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Re: http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/m_tracec.htm#trace
>
> The spec doesnt say anything about STDIN and STDOUT, understandably
> because these are just Unix concepts?
>
> My question:
>
> 1 - For me, TRACE output is excellent log info. If I were writing a
> web app, I would like to have this info available by running tail -f
> on a file. How would you do this? Of course, because a cgi program
> responds via STDOUT, the trace output would have to go to another
> output channel.

See
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/v_debug_.htm. You
could do something like this:

  (setf *trace-output* (open "/var/log/trace.log"
                             :direction :output
                             :if-exists :append))
Zach
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 Terrence Brannon <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Re: http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/m_tracec.htm#trace
>
> The spec doesnt say anything about STDIN and STDOUT, understandably
> because these are just Unix concepts?
>
> My question:
>
> 1 - For me, TRACE output is excellent log info. If I were writing a
> web app, I would like to have this info available by running tail -f
> on a file. How would you do this? Of course, because a cgi program
> responds via STDOUT, the trace output would have to go to another
> output channel.

Did you see that it goes to the stream which is the value of *TRACE-OUTPUT* ?

You can set this to a stream you like.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/