From: gavino
Subject: what do lispers think of plan9 from bell labs? will anyone opensource 	genera? comparisons?
http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html

From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
 gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html

Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
program by now?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: gavino
On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article
> <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>
> Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
> program by now?
>
> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/

I wrote not much only basic crap, I hate pcl and grahams first book.
From: John Thingstad
P� Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:39:49 +0100, skrev gavino <·········@gmail.com>:

> On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>> In article
>> <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>>  gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>>
>> Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
>> program by now?
>>
>> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/
>
> I wrote not much only basic crap, I hate pcl and grahams first book.

Perhaps "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" by
David S. Touretzky is more your pace.
Free download at http://www.computer-books.us/lisp_0002.php

--------------
John Thingstad
From: gavino
On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article
> <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>
> Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
> program by now?
>
> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/

Hey Rainer, did you write a lisp web platform that beats aolserver+tcl
+postgresql or lighttpd+php+phpcake yet?  Written anything at all that
anyone can use?
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> > In article
> > <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
> >
> > Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
> > program by now?
> >
> > --http://lispm.dyndns.org/
>
> Hey Rainer, did you write a lisp web platform that beats aolserver+tcl
> +postgresql or lighttpd+php+phpcake yet?  Written anything at all that
> anyone can use?

Sure I did write something, but it wouldn't help you, since
you still need to learn some Lisp programming.
From: Raymond Wiker
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>> In article
>> <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>>  gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>>
>> Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
>> program by now?
>>
>> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/
>
> Hey Rainer, did you write a lisp web platform that beats aolserver+tcl
> +postgresql or lighttpd+php+phpcake yet?  Written anything at all that
> anyone can use?

	Begone, you fetid pile of compost.
From: gavino
On Jan 13, 1:25 pm, Raymond Wiker <····@RawMBP.local> wrote:
> gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jan 2, 1:34 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <····································@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Gavino, you again? Any progress? Did you write your first Lisp
> >> program by now?
>
> >> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/
>
> > Hey Rainer, did you write a lisp web platform that beats aolserver+tcl
> > +postgresql or lighttpd+php+phpcake yet?  Written anything at all that
> > anyone can use?
>
>         Begone, you fetid pile of compost.

I guess that means you have not written a nice web system.
From: Joost Diepenmaat
gavino <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html

It certainly looks like a good plan to take Unix and "re-normalize" it a
bit. On the other hand, there must be a reason for its failure to gain
any kind of market share.

Maybe nobody liked it's editor? Who'd want to use a mouse to edit text? :-)

Joost.
From: George Neuner
Why don't you stop asking idiotic questions and start writing
programs?

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: gavino
On Jan 4, 10:30 am, George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> wrote:
> Why don't you stop asking idiotic questions and start writing
> programs?
>
> George
> --
> for email reply remove "/" from address

why don't you have a coke and a smile?
From: George Neuner
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:26:11 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com>
wrote:

>what do lispers think of plan9 from bell labs?
>http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html

With a little work, anything can look like Unix and a uniform resource
API isn't really a benefit - the semantics of the various resources
are too different to hide the difference behind ioctl().  In part
that's why things like pipes and sockets and shared memory have their
own APIs separate from the original 5-function protocol.

As alternative OS designs go, I'm more partial to Amoeba.
http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: gavino
On Jan 4, 10:59 am, George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:26:11 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >what do lispers think of plan9 from bell labs?
> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>
> With a little work, anything can look like Unix and a uniform resource
> API isn't really a benefit - the semantics of the various resources
> are too different to hide the difference behind ioctl().  In part
> that's why things like pipes and sockets and shared memory have their
> own APIs separate from the original 5-function protocol.
>
> As alternative OS designs go, I'm more partial to Amoeba.http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/
>
> George
> --
> for email reply remove "/" from address

I looked at that, and emailed the maintaiers and they said they no
longer support it.......amoeba seemed awesome.....maybe the guy at the
lab is an idiot?
From: George Neuner
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:39:13 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 4, 10:59 am, George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:26:11 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >what do lispers think of plan9 from bell labs?
>> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>>
>> With a little work, anything can look like Unix and a uniform resource
>> API isn't really a benefit - the semantics of the various resources
>> are too different to hide the difference behind ioctl().  In part
>> that's why things like pipes and sockets and shared memory have their
>> own APIs separate from the original 5-function protocol.
>>
>> As alternative OS designs go, I'm more partial to Amoeba.http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/
>>
>> George
>> --
>> for email reply remove "/" from address
>
>I looked at that, and emailed the maintaiers and they said they no
>longer support it.......amoeba seemed awesome.....maybe the guy at the
>lab is an idiot?

I don't think it is maintained any more.  That's the problem with a
lot of academic efforts ... the designers move on to something else
and any good ideas that came out of it sit on a shelf until someone
else picks up the torch.

If you browse the source and read the papers, you'll see that
development on Amoeba spanned more than 10 years.  Then Tanenbaum
moved on to Orca and Paramecium and everyone forgot about Amoeba.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: gavino
On Jan 5, 8:15 pm, George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:39:13 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Jan 4, 10:59 am, George Neuner <·········@/comcast.net> wrote:

> >> With a little work, anything can look like Unix and a uniform resource
> >> API isn't really a benefit - the semantics of the various resources
> >> are too different to hide the difference behind ioctl().  In part
> >> that's why things like pipes and sockets and shared memory have their
> >> own APIs separate from the original 5-function protocol.
>
> >> As alternative OS designs go, I'm more partial to Amoeba.http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/
>
> >> George
> >> --
> >> for email reply remove "/" from address
>
> >I looked at that, and emailed the maintaiers and they said they no
> >longer support it.......amoeba seemed awesome.....maybe the guy at the
> >lab is an idiot?
>
> I don't think it is maintained any more.  That's the problem with a
> lot of academic efforts ... the designers move on to something else
> and any good ideas that came out of it sit on a shelf until someone
> else picks up the torch.
>
> If you browse the source and read the papers, you'll see that
> development on Amoeba spanned more than 10 years.  Then Tanenbaum
> moved on to Orca and Paramecium and everyone forgot about Amoeba.
>
> George
> --
> for email reply remove "/" from address

I was looking for parmecium and wow the linux v tanenbaum thread is
AWESOME
history shows linux to have won sofar, but I wonder if tanenbaum can
make a comeback
From: Matthias Buelow
gavino wrote:

> http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html

Would be better if it were written in Lisp. I'd also like to see a Lisp
designed by those guys (instead of the CL kludge). That's one of those
things that are impossible, though, or the universe will rip apart.
From: gavino
On Jan 4, 2:42 pm, Matthias Buelow <····@incubus.de> wrote:
> gavino wrote:
> >http://netlib.bell-labs.com/plan9/about.html
>
> Would be better if it were written in Lisp. I'd also like to see a Lisp
> designed by those guys (instead of the CL kludge). That's one of those
> things that are impossible, though, or the universe will rip apart.

why would universe rip apart? it would make too much sense?