From: Chanwoo Yoo
Subject: Is there anyone uses FiveAM or stefil?
Happy new year~

I tried to install FiveAM and stefil. But installations were aborted
because they both required SWANK. I installed other libraries like
defclass-star, alexandria iterate, and arnesi required by them. But I
can't find a library named SWANK. What is SWANK? It seems there is no
library like it in Cliki. How can I install it?

-------------

component :SWANK not found, required by
#<SYSTEM "stefil" {1003EEE071}>
   [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY]

Restarts:
 0: [ABORT] Return to SLIME's top level.
 1: [TERMINATE-THREAD] Terminate this thread (#<THREAD "repl-
thread" {1003BAD841}>)

Backtrace:
  0: ((LABELS ASDF::DO-ONE-DEP) ASDF:COMPILE-OP :SWANK NIL)
  1: ((LABELS ASDF::DO-DEP) ASDF:COMPILE-OP (:DEFCLASS-STAR :METABANG-
BIND :ITERATE :ALEXANDRIA :SWANK))
  2: ((SB-PCL::FAST-METHOD ASDF::TRAVERSE (ASDF:OPERATION
ASDF:COMPONENT)) #(3 NIL) #<unavailable argument> #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP
NIL {1004356461}> #<ASDF:SYSTEM "stefil" {1003EEE071}>)
  3: ((LABELS ASDF::DO-DEP) ASDF:COMPILE-OP ("stefil"))

From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Is there anyone uses FiveAM or stefil?
> I tried to install FiveAM and stefil. But installations were aborted
> because they both required SWANK. I installed other libraries like
> defclass-star, alexandria iterate, and arnesi required by them. But I
> can't find a library named SWANK. What is SWANK? It seems there is no
> library like it in Cliki. How can I install it?

swank is the common lisp side of slime: http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

(yes, it's unfortunate to have two names, and that swank is not too
google friendly)

- attila
From: Alex Mizrahi
 CY> can't find a library named SWANK. What is SWANK? It seems there is no
 CY> library like it in Cliki. How can I install it?

 CY> -------------

 CY> component :SWANK not found, required by
 CY> #<SYSTEM "stefil" {1003EEE071}>
 CY>    [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY]

 CY> Restarts:
 CY>  0: [ABORT] Return to SLIME's top level.
 CY>  1: [TERMINATE-THREAD] Terminate this thread (#<THREAD "repl-
 CY> thread" {1003BAD841}>)

 CY> Backtrace:
 CY>   0: ((LABELS ASDF::DO-ONE-DEP) ASDF:COMPILE-OP :SWANK NIL)

it seems that you're already using swank (that is part of SLIME), but ASDF
is not aware of it.
if you're not looking for "pure" solution, just delete this dependency in
asd file
From: Chanwoo Yoo
Thanks for the replies~ :) Yes, I am already using slime.. I guess
this happens because I use 'Ready Lisp'. Without it, when I use SBCL
and slime directly, I can't find the way to make SBCL to support
experimental threads on Mac. I read the 'Install' file of SBCL,
particularly the part of '2.2 Customizing SBCL'. I made the "customize-
target-features.lisp" file contains following code in home directory,
but it seemed it did not work. Could I get any know-how to make SBCL
support threads on Mac(Intel Leopard)?

    (lambda (features)
      (flet ((enable (x)
               (pushnew x features))
             (disable (x)
               (setf features (remove x features))))
        ;; Threading support, available only on x86/x86-64 Linux, x86
Solaris
        ;; and x86 Mac OS X (experimental).
        (enable :sb-thread)))
From: vtail
On Jan 2, 9:47 am, Chanwoo Yoo <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies~ :) Yes, I am already using slime.. I guess
> this happens because I use 'Ready Lisp'. Without it, when I use SBCL
> and slime directly, I can't find the way to make SBCL to support
> experimental threads on Mac. I read the 'Install' file of SBCL,
> particularly the part of '2.2 Customizing SBCL'. I made the "customize-
> target-features.lisp" file contains following code in home directory,
> but it seemed it did not work. Could I get any know-how to make SBCL
> support threads on Mac(Intel Leopard)?
>
>     (lambda (features)
>       (flet ((enable (x)
>                (pushnew x features))
>              (disable (x)
>                (setf features (remove x features))))
>         ;; Threading support, available only on x86/x86-64 Linux, x86
> Solaris
>         ;; and x86 Mac OS X (experimental).
>         (enable :sb-thread)))

I've just discovered MacPorts, http://www.macports.org. They came with
SBCL 1.0.12 - which is pretty good if you ask me - e.g. Ubuntu 7.10
still ships with 1.0.6. After you've installed MacPorts, just say

sudo port install sbcl +threads

and you'll get a version with threads! - no more compiling by
yourself.

Regards,
Victor.
From: Chanwoo Yoo
Aha~ Thanks! :)

From: tagae
On Jan 2, 3:02 pm, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
>  CY> can't find a library named SWANK. What is SWANK? It seems there is no
>  CY> library like it in Cliki. How can I install it?
>
>  CY> -------------
>
>  CY> component :SWANK not found, required by
>  CY> #<SYSTEM "stefil" {1003EEE071}>
>  CY>    [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY]
>
>  CY> Restarts:
>  CY>  0: [ABORT] Return to SLIME's top level.
>  CY>  1: [TERMINATE-THREAD] Terminate this thread (#<THREAD "repl-
>  CY> thread" {1003BAD841}>)
>
>  CY> Backtrace:
>  CY>   0: ((LABELS ASDF::DO-ONE-DEP) ASDF:COMPILE-OP :SWANK NIL)
>
> it seems that you're already using swank (that is part of SLIME), but ASDF
> is not aware of it.
> if you're not looking for "pure" solution, just delete this dependency in
> asd file

Another alternative (the one I took) is to place a symbolic link to
swank.asd in one of your asdf:*central-registry* directories;
swank.asd can be found inside slime's directory.
From: Chanwoo Yoo
It works! Thanks! :)