From: J Kenneth King
Subject: Anyone with experience setting up lispy on Ubuntu Intrepid?
Hey everyone,

Still hacking away at lisp in my silo and lurking on c.l.l

I discovered lispy some time ago and have been really happy with it on
my Arch box. It runs great and is an easy way to grab libraries and
their dependencies.

The problem I'm having with it is on my Ubuntu Intrepid lappy.

I configured my .sbclrc as is shown on the lispy website to push the
paths to my lispy install onto asdf:*central-registry*. However,
whenever I load lispy through asdf to install libraries, they get
installed to a really convoluted path under /var. This makes things
slightly annoying.

My poking around hasn't revealed where asdf or lispy are getting these
weird /var paths from. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I'm using SBCL + SLIME on an up-to-date Ubuntu Intrepid box.

Cheers.

From: Alex Mizrahi
 JKK> I configured my .sbclrc as is shown on the lispy website to push the
 JKK> paths to my lispy install onto asdf:*central-registry*. However,
 JKK> whenever I load lispy through asdf to install libraries, they get
 JKK> installed to a really convoluted path under /var.
 JKK>  This makes things slightly annoying.

 JKK> My poking around hasn't revealed where asdf or lispy are getting these
 JKK> weird /var paths from. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

i guess this "issue" is common-lisp-controller feature that modifies ASDF
to save fasl in /var/cache. actually it is not a bad idea -- in most cases
you absolutely should not care where fasls are. if this annoys you,
most likely you're doing it wrong. how exactly are you using this pathes in
/var?

nevertheless, you can just build your own SBCL without
common-lisp-controller.
this way you also get more fresh SBCL version with some bugs fixed, perhaps.
From: J Kenneth King
"Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

>  JKK> I configured my .sbclrc as is shown on the lispy website to push the
>  JKK> paths to my lispy install onto asdf:*central-registry*. However,
>  JKK> whenever I load lispy through asdf to install libraries, they get
>  JKK> installed to a really convoluted path under /var.
>  JKK>  This makes things slightly annoying.
>
>  JKK> My poking around hasn't revealed where asdf or lispy are getting these
>  JKK> weird /var paths from. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
>
> i guess this "issue" is common-lisp-controller feature that modifies ASDF
> to save fasl in /var/cache. actually it is not a bad idea -- in most cases
> you absolutely should not care where fasls are. if this annoys you,
> most likely you're doing it wrong. how exactly are you using this pathes in
> /var?
>
> nevertheless, you can just build your own SBCL without
> common-lisp-controller.
> this way you also get more fresh SBCL version with some bugs fixed, perhaps.

I think you pointed out the bit of confusion for me -- something was
modifying asdf paths and I couldn't figure out what. Turns out I'm
looking in the wrong place as I suspected. Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction.
From: Steve Knight
> i guess this "issue" is common-lisp-controller feature that modifies ASDF
> to save fasl in /var/cache. actually it is not a bad idea -- in most cases
> you absolutely should not care where fasls are. if this annoys you,
> most likely you're doing it wrong. how exactly are you using this pathes in
> /var?

Yeah.  I had this problem.   I got really confused when I was compiling
using SLIME to compile and load incremental changes, which were being
placed in the local directory.

I figured I was probably doing it wrong.

> nevertheless, you can just build your own SBCL without
> common-lisp-controller.
> this way you also get more fresh SBCL version with some bugs fixed, perhaps.

This is what I ended up doing.   clbuild is now my friend (http://
common-lisp.net/project/clbuild/)