From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Making Lisp popular - can it be done?
If you want something done or believe something "should be done" then
try doing it yourself. :)

Keep it simple.
From: Ali
Don't worry, I'd imagine increasing numbers of people are finding lisp
more and more thanks to python and ruby becoming mainstreamed.

Lispers generally don't care about popularity because they can already
do what they want already. At least a few see it as a waste of time to
have lots of newbs around.

When I was even more of a newb, I took the view that transition code
should be written to allow people to use ugly stuff while they
transitioned to lisp, but now go with the view that you should just
ignore newb wants and have your own super productive higher order and
macro code as normal. That gives something worthwhile at least for
people to see as a reason for learning lisp.

OTOH, for the newb who finds macros and other niceties, an early
thought is, "omg, what if I had never taken the time to learn it? The
masses must be saved!", and I sympaphise with this view. An old-timer
will probably have less attachment to this feeling partly because it
was so long ago.

There are many people at university and otherwise who do have an
interest and all of the 2 required brain cells, but are simply unaware
of what they are missing. Heck, I came _this_ close to evangelizing
macros and linking to macro primers at my uni, I was just shocked that
all these bright people were unaware of their power.

But at the end of the day, the things I'm talking about are of little
interest to those who just want a degree, and of little interest to
those who just want a job (for the meantime). Most of the other people
who program out of interest will find lisp eventually anyway and might
even be super awesome enough that their employer lets them get on and
use lisp.

So for now, unless you are specifically making it possible to work
using lisp in the foreseeable future, very few people will care about
popularizing the language, not even lispers.