From: HalfEmpty
Subject: Need Help: Slime freezes at asdf:load-op
I tried to setup another computer for lisp the other day and
encountered a strange problem.

Using clbuild to check out sbcl and slime

Everything seems to work when I use the inferior mode of sbcl, however
when I try to load some system in emacs+slime, the load just hangs in
the middle with no error, debug or anything, (you can use emacs for
other things, only the top-level is unresponsive)

For example when I load drakma, it stops here:

CL-USER> (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'drakma)
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :DRAKMA {AEB1491}> as DRAKMA
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :CL+SSL {AFF42C1}> as CL+SSL
; /home/jt/clbuild/systems/flexi-streams.asd into #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :FLEXI-STREAMS {B186941}> as FLEXI-STREAMS
; registering #<SYSTEM :FLEXI-STREAMS-TEST {B2B9BD1}> as FLEXI-STREAMS-
TEST
; /home/jt/clbuild/systems/trivial-gray-streams.asd into #<PACKAGE
"ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :TRIVIAL-GRAY-STREAMS {B4372B9}> as
; TRIVIAL-GRAY-STREAMS
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM CFFI {B742161}> as CFFI
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM BABEL {AA30171}> as BABEL
alexandria.asd
; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :ALEXANDRIA {ABC8131}> as ALEXANDRIA
; /home/jt/clbuild/systems/trivial-features.asd into #<PACKAGE
"ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM TRIVIAL-FEATURES {AD78291}> as TRIVIAL-FEATURES
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM USOCKET {AF492E1}> as USOCKET
; /home/jt/clbuild/systems/split-sequence.asd into #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :SPLIT-SEQUENCE {B0B1F99}> as SPLIT-SEQUENCE
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM :CHUNGA {B20A891}> as CHUNGA
base64.asd
; into #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM CL-BASE64 {B3802F1}> as CL-BASE64
; registering #<SYSTEM CL-BASE64-TESTS {B4D1641}> as CL-BASE64-TESTS
into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM PURI {A96E721}> as PURI
; registering #<SYSTEM PURI-TESTS {AAC76A9}> as PURI-TESTS

; compiling file "/home/jt/clbuild/source/puri/src.lisp" (written 14
DEC 2008 08:29:54 PM):

OR if I compile the source under inferior mode and try to load drakma
in slime again, it still stops at

; registering #<SYSTEM PURI {A96E721}> as PURI
; registering #<SYSTEM PURI-TESTS {AAC76A9}> as PURI-TESTS

I setuped another lisp system without using clbuild (but using it's
systems/*.asd) it seems to work fine.

I don't know what the exact problem is. Maybe it's related to the fact
the clbuild gets newer versions of sbcl and slime that may have
unresolved conflicts?

From: alien_guy
Subject: Re: Need Help: Slime freezes at asdf:load-op
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:34:29 -0800, HalfEmpty wrote:

> I tried to setup another computer for lisp the other day and encountered
> a strange problem.
>
> Using clbuild to check out sbcl and slime
>
> Everything seems to work when I use the inferior mode of sbcl, however
> when I try to load some system in emacs+slime, the load just hangs in
> the middle with no error, debug or anything, (you can use emacs for
> other things, only the top-level is unresponsive)

see the thread on sbcl-devel named "hang when compiling ASDF systems in
1.0.23.40"
From: Juho Snellman
HalfEmpty <··············@gmail.com> writes:
> I tried to setup another computer for lisp the other day and
> encountered a strange problem.
>
> Using clbuild to check out sbcl and slime
>
> Everything seems to work when I use the inferior mode of sbcl, however
> when I try to load some system in emacs+slime, the load just hangs in
> the middle with no error, debug or anything, (you can use emacs for
> other things, only the top-level is unresponsive)

A known issue in CVS versions of SBCL >= 1.0.23.37, basically a
deadlock between the gray stream used by Slime and some sbcl internals
that try to write to that stream. See the sbcl-devel mailing list for
some more discussion on this. The sbcl mailing lists are a more
appropriate place for bug reports in any case.

--
Juho Snellman
From: HalfEmpty
On Dec 15, 5:36 pm, Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> wrote:
> HalfEmpty <··············@gmail.com> writes:
> > I tried to setup another computer for lisp the other day and
> > encountered a strange problem.
>
> > Using clbuild to check out sbcl and slime
>
> > Everything seems to work when I use the inferior mode of sbcl, however
> > when I try to load some system in emacs+slime, the load just hangs in
> > the middle with no error, debug or anything, (you can use emacs for
> > other things, only the top-level is unresponsive)
>
> A known issue in CVS versions of SBCL >= 1.0.23.37, basically a
> deadlock between the gray stream used by Slime and some sbcl internals
> that try to write to that stream. See the sbcl-devel mailing list for
> some more discussion on this. The sbcl mailing lists are a more
> appropriate place for bug reports in any case.
>
> --
> Juho Snellman

Good call. Will join sbcl-devel then... (another newbie slowly being
sucked into the world of Lisp)