From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Great screencast tutorial: Raytracing in Lisp
Probably many know that I made a few movies showing
obscure and dead user interfaces or how to write
some code parsing trivial data records. This has
spawned some screencasts done by other people.

This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
raytracer in Lisp.

http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html

Just in time for the christmas holidays.

Great stuff, well done!

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/

From: ··········@googlemail.com
Subject: Re: Great screencast tutorial: Raytracing in Lisp
On 15 Dez., 15:10, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> Probably many know that I made a few movies showing
> obscure and dead user interfaces or how to write
> some code parsing trivial data records. This has
> spawned some screencasts done by other people.

Yes, it surely did! Thanks a lot!

> This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
> series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
> raytracer in Lisp.
>
> http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html
>
> Just in time for the christmas holidays.
>
> Great stuff, well done!

And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)

Best regards,
Alexander
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
 ··········@googlemail.com wrote:

> On 15 Dez., 15:10, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> > Probably many know that I made a few movies showing
> > obscure and dead user interfaces or how to write
> > some code parsing trivial data records. This has
> > spawned some screencasts done by other people.
>
> Yes, it surely did! Thanks a lot!
>
> > This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
> > series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
> > raytracer in Lisp.
> >
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html
> >
> > Just in time for the christmas holidays.
> >
> > Great stuff, well done!
>
> And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
> will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)

It is not really that trivial. In my case, I had to code
and at the same time speak
in a foreign language. In my DSL video,
I also wanted to make one or two mistakes, and then
correct them using the interactive Lisp system.
But then one has to make the right mistakes, those
that can be corrected
within a few seconds/minutes and not those where
one hunts the problem for an hour. That would kind of
spoil the purpose of the video. ;-) I read one comment
where a guy says, that he saw me making a mistake and
that it was painful to watch. But it was the same
mistake that let me show that one can look at the
macroexpansion and see if there is an error, fix the
error in the macro and retry. ;-) This instant
'check, fix and retry' is an important part of the
interactive Lisp experience.

I like your example, since it is non-trivial and shows
quite a bit of the coding process. Showing a few
slides with background or architectural information
is also very useful. I haven't seen the video fully
yet, but you could show the results a bit longer
and maybe there is some way to show what goes on
at runtime?

Excellent contribution, I'm looking forward to the
next episodes. ;-)

Best regards,

Rainer Joswig

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: ··········@googlemail.com
On 15 Dez., 21:53, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> It is not really that trivial. In my case, I had to code
> and at the same time speak
> in a foreign language. In my DSL video,
> I also wanted to make one or two mistakes, and then
> correct them using the interactive Lisp system.
> But then one has to make the right mistakes, those
> that can be corrected
> within a few seconds/minutes and not those where
> one hunts the problem for an hour. That would kind of
> spoil the purpose of the video. ;-) I read one comment
> where a guy says, that he saw me making a mistake and
> that it was painful to watch. But it was the same
> mistake that let me show that one can look at the
> macroexpansion and see if there is an error, fix the
> error in the macro and retry. ;-) This instant
> 'check, fix and retry' is an important part of the
> interactive Lisp experience.

You're absolutely right. And as far as the foreign language concerned,
I have the same "problem".

> I like your example, since it is non-trivial and shows
> quite a bit of the coding process. Showing a few
> slides with background or architectural information
> is also very useful. I haven't seen the video fully
> yet, but you could show the results a bit longer
> and maybe there is some way to show what goes on
> at runtime?

Again, you're right. The results could/should have been a bit longer.
Starting from part 2, slides with background information will be shown
and thoroughly discussed.
Admittedly, when I watch the videos myself once again, I think that a
top-down approach would have been more appropriate and explanatory
than the bottom-up one that I actually used. I sincerely hope that I
can improve at this topic for the next screencast (if time permits)...

> Excellent contribution, I'm looking forward to the
> next episodes. ;-)

Thanks once agai! It's especially nice to hear that from you ;-),
since your videos were the ones that particulary "inspired" me. At the
same time I'm really sorry that recently I just don't have the time to
continue with the tutorial. As I think that both raytracing as well as
first and foremost Lisp are by all means very interesting topics, I
hope that some day I'll have the opportuniy to continue or even start
over...

Looking forward to meeting you some day,
best regards,

Alexander Lehmann
From: Bob Felts
Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:

> In article
> <····································@b41g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
>  ··········@googlemail.com wrote:

[...]

> > And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
> > will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)
>
> It is not really that trivial. In my case, I had to code and at the same
> time speak in a foreign language.

I have a hard time coding and speaking in my native language, much less
doing it for a camera, too.

FWIW, I re-viewed your video last week before passing the link on to
some colleagues on the virtues of DSL's.  It gets "two thumbs up" from
me.

[...]
From: Bob Felts
<··········@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 15 Dez., 15:10, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
[...]

> > Great stuff, well done!
>
> And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
> will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)

I've learned as much watching the first 1 & 1/4 episodes as with reading
PCL.

But there is something I don't understand.  Perhaps it's because my
German is so rusty.  Just what is "a gorram sharp sign", anyway?

Take my Mac, burn my house,
Take me where I cannot mouse
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take my Lisp from me...
From: Andrew Reilly
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:50:03 -0500, Bob Felts wrote:

> Just what is "a gorram sharp sign", anyway?

I guessed that it was a pop-culture reference to "Firefly".  No?

Andrew
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 17 Dez., 06:39, Andrew Reilly <···············@areilly.bpc-
users.org> wrote:
> I guessed that it was a pop-culture reference to "Firefly".  No?

Exactly ;-)
From: Bob Felts
Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:

> On 17 Dez., 06:39, Andrew Reilly <···············@areilly.bpc-
> users.org> wrote:
> > I guessed that it was a pop-culture reference to "Firefly".  No?
>
> Exactly ;-)

*facepalm*

Take my Mac, burn my house,    | Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot mouse  | Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free              | I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take my Lisp from me  | You can't take the sky from me
From: Moritz Ulrich
··········@googlemail.com schrieb:
> On 15 Dez., 15:10, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
>> Probably many know that I made a few movies showing
>> obscure and dead user interfaces or how to write
>> some code parsing trivial data records. This has
>> spawned some screencasts done by other people.
>
> Yes, it surely did! Thanks a lot!
>
>> This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
>> series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
>> raytracer in Lisp.
>>
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html
>>
>> Just in time for the christmas holidays.
>>
>> Great stuff, well done!
>
> And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
> will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander

First: Thanks you for the great screencasts.

I'm on the first video right now, and I really like what I have seen so far.
Thumbs-Up ;)

But I'm asking myself the question, why you use a macro for
assert-same-dimensions.
I've implemented this as a function, and it works very well. I don't see
the benefits of a macro there.

Greetings from Germany
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 16 Dez., 23:53, Moritz Ulrich <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I'm asking myself the question, why you use a macro for
> assert-same-dimensions.
> I've implemented this as a function, and it works very well. I don't see
> the benefits of a macro there.

I've used a macro instead of a function because I think that an
additional function call is too much overhead in this place. Right now
only few matrix multiplications take place, but with an incrementing
number of matrix multiplications the overhead of using a function
instead of a macro shouldn't be neglected. Anyways, it's absolutely ok
to use a function instead of a macro.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
 Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:

> On 16 Dez., 23:53, Moritz Ulrich <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But I'm asking myself the question, why you use a macro for
> > assert-same-dimensions.
> > I've implemented this as a function, and it works very well. I don't see
> > the benefits of a macro there.
>
> I've used a macro instead of a function because I think that an
> additional function call is too much overhead in this place. Right now
> only few matrix multiplications take place, but with an incrementing
> number of matrix multiplications the overhead of using a function
> instead of a macro shouldn't be neglected. Anyways, it's absolutely ok
> to use a function instead of a macro.

Don't forget that functions can be inlined. There is a declaration to
control this.

Advantages:

* functional interface
* functions can be passed around
* with the right settings the compiler will inline them where
  they are called directly

Disadvantages:

* some compilers have (had?) their own ideas about inlining.
  for example they are not using the inline declaration,
  but may choose some functions to be inlined.

You might want to check out, if it works for you.
Often it should not be necessary to use macros for code
inlining.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 17 Dez., 14:14, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> Don't forget that functions can be inlined. There is a declaration to
> control this.

Oh, oops, I forgot. Thanks ;-)

I also think that compilers usually do a better job in optimizations
than one can do personally, and hence it might be better to make use
of inline instead of a macro within the mentioned functions.

Also, to speed things up a bit, one should consider direct
manipulation of the vectors instead of all the consing and mapping...
As I haven't seen the videos in quite a long time I'm not exactly sure
what method I used at the end (the linalg stuff keeps changing a bit
during part 2+).
From: Stanisław Halik
thus spoke ··········@googlemail.com:

> And also thank you for your kind words. I certainly hope that people
> will find my submission useful and "tolerate" my faults ;-)

IMO there weren't enough shiny glossy pictures of raytraced scenes to
drool at. The very first part should begin with such and maybe an
animation, computation resources withstanding. Same goes for the
presentation's HTML page.

Can't say much about the code due to the lack of required mathematics
knowledge.

In the future, might be of use to make cuts in tactical moments and
maybe keep code state at cuts tagged in an RCS.

--
Nawet świnka wejdzie na drzewo kiedy jest chwalona.
From: Alexander Lehmann
Hi Stanislaw,

On 23 Dez., 14:01, Stanis³aw Halik <··············@tehran.lain.pl>
wrote:
> IMO there weren't enough shiny glossy pictures of raytraced scenes to
> drool at. The very first part should begin with such and maybe an
> animation, computation resources withstanding. Same goes for the
> presentation's HTML page.

thank you for your feedback. I understand your point, yet I think that
as far as raytracing is concerned people have seen lots of raytraced
pictures and thus need not be convinced of writing one themselves ;-)
Also, as I unfortunately didn't have the time to complete every aspect
of the raytracer, the resulting pictures are rather simple right now
(cubes, spheres and a little lighting).
Regarding the presentation's HTML page, I do agree with you. I'll add
some pictures and make the slides that I've used throughout the
tutorial available to the public.

> Can't say much about the code due to the lack of required mathematics
> knowledge.

Naturally, raytracing is deeply related to mathematics, yet be assured
that only the first part of the tutorial deals that much with
mathematics. It's just the basic stuff that is needed to go on...
Admittedly, there's also lots of mathematics in the subsequent movies,
but you can safely skip the detailed explanations and hop right to the
actual coding.

> In the future, might be of use to make cuts in tactical moments and
> maybe keep code state at cuts tagged in an RCS.

Technically, the code is tracked within a subversion repository. As,
however, the code is quite incomplete with respect to what I intend
the tutorial to be at the very end, I have decided not to release the
code until it is really finished in order to prevent several
incomplete versions of the code "flying around".

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it!

Regards,
Alexander
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 23 Dez., 21:36, Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:
> I'll add some pictures and make the slides that I've used throughout
> the tutorial available to the public.

Done.

-- Alexander
From: Stanisław Halik
thus spoke Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de>:

>> In the future, might be of use to make cuts in tactical moments and
>> maybe keep code state at cuts tagged in an RCS.
> Technically, the code is tracked within a subversion repository. As,
> however, the code is quite incomplete with respect to what I intend
> the tutorial to be at the very end, I have decided not to release the
> code until it is really finished in order to prevent several
> incomplete versions of the code "flying around".

I was thinking about pausing the recording every dozen-or-so minutes to
avoid recorded coding being unproductively spent.

The teaser images look cool, with textures, many polygons and all.
Wonder if some time later the raytracer will produce images with as much
drool-value as this one: http://tinyurl.com/3teql7

--
Nawet świnka wejdzie na drzewo kiedy jest chwalona.
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 24 Dez., 17:37, Stanis³aw Halik <··············@tehran.lain.pl>
wrote:
> I was thinking about pausing the recording every dozen-or-so minutes to
> avoid recorded coding being unproductively spent.

Yep, I think I know what you meant/mean. But still, there's always the
option to pause a movie :)

> The teaser images look cool, with textures, many polygons and all.
> Wonder if some time later the raytracer will produce images with as much
> drool-value as this one:http://tinyurl.com/3teql7

Well, actually the teaser images are rather basic with respect to a
full-featured raytracer. The image that you've provided for "drool-
value comparison" is a bit more sophisticated. A good amount of it
will be possible in the end, yet the blur effect as well as the global
illumination (photons) won't be covered in the tutorial as this might
be just too much. We'll see... :)

Thanks for your interest!
From: Jens Teich
Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> writes:

> Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for these great videos.

I have seen them all and I learned a lot. I was not sure at the
beginning what 'raytracer' means and I had to wait about six hours to
see what it is all about. This could be easily fixed by placing the
result PNG on the website at the very beginning. It looks quite
impressive in my eyes.

Thanks again.

Jens
From: Alexander Lehmann
On 24 Dez., 22:40, Jens Teich <········@jensteich.de> wrote:
> I have seen them all and I learned a lot. I was not sure at the
> beginning what 'raytracer' means and I had to wait about six hours to
> see what it is all about. This could be easily fixed by placing the
> result PNG on the website at the very beginning. It looks quite
> impressive in my eyes.

I think you're actually the first who's seen them all ;-) As of
yesterday, a result PNG and the slides that were used throughout the
presentation are online as well (see earlier replies).

Merry xmas,
Alexander
From: GP lisper
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:36:16 -0800 (PST), <········@in.tum.de> wrote:

>> In the future, might be of use to make cuts in tactical moments and
>> maybe keep code state at cuts tagged in an RCS.
>
> Technically, the code is tracked within a subversion repository. As,
> however, the code is quite incomplete with respect to what I intend
> the tutorial to be at the very end, I have decided not to release the
> code until it is really finished in order to prevent several

I would argue for _not_ releasing the code.  It was a great but
unexpected benefit to me having to type in the code.

There is something to getting the fingers involved that helps cement
an understanding of the code.  I'm sure I would have skipped typing if
I could have, and that the code would end up with alot of other CLOS
code I keep around.  But typing it gave me the advantage of thinking
about what I thought the 'bug' in the code might be, while you were
tracking it down, based on a feeling of what might have been left out.
Your movies are more that simply a ray-tracer example, they are one of
the more complex "Hello World" example programs I can recall.

--
"Most programmers use this on-line documentation nearly all of the
time, and thereby avoid the need to handle bulky manuals and perform
From: Tamas K Papp
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:35:20 -0800, GP lisper wrote:

> I would argue for _not_ releasing the code.  It was a great but
> unexpected benefit to me having to type in the code.

Releasing it doesn't prevent anyone from typing it in.

Tamas
From: WalterGR
On Dec 26, 4:57 pm, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:35:20 -0800, GP lisper wrote:
> > I would argue for _not_ releasing the code.  It was a great but
> > unexpected benefit to me having to type in the code.
>
> Releasing it doesn't prevent anyone from typing it in.
>
> Tamas

Amen.  I'm going through the lispcast.com Reddit clone videos and
typing things in myself.  But the later videos build on the previous
ones.  If I can download the code from episode 1 when I start episode
2, it's easier to follow along.  I don't have to type everything
*exactly* as he does in episode 1.

Walter
From: GP lisper
On 27 Dec 2008 00:57:46 GMT, <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:35:20 -0800, GP lisper wrote:
>
>> I would argue for _not_ releasing the code.  It was a great but
>> unexpected benefit to me having to type in the code.
>
> Releasing it doesn't prevent anyone from typing it in.

It does.  It takes a rather strong desire to go thru the typing when
you can just 'read along' from supplied source, I have 10s of
megabytes of CLOS code already.  This is from the viewpoint of someone
just grappling with the object idea, a master of CLOS isn't going to
be watching much of the video series.  I cannot think of a single time
that I typed in code when I could just copy it, going back to the
punched tape days.

It's like going thru a year of solving heat flow with differential
equations, would you really do that if you knew that conformal mapping
allowed you to skip the pain and just write down a solution?  There is
some additional aspect of learning that gets pounded in via the
fingers.

From: Alexander Lehmann
On 27 Dez., 06:10, GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:
> It does.  It takes a rather strong desire to go thru the typing when
> you can just 'read along' from supplied source, I have 10s of
> megabytes of CLOS code already.  This is from the viewpoint of someone
> just grappling with the object idea, a master of CLOS isn't going to
> be watching much of the video series.  I cannot think of a single time
> that I typed in code when I could just copy it, going back to the
> punched tape days.

I agree with you as well as with Walter saying that it could be a
benefit if after completing an episode one could get the code up to
that point so that it might be easier to follow along. Anyways, in the
end it's probably up to the ``discipline'' of the viewer/programmer to
follow along instead of just scrolling through any provided code.

This way or that way, I'm incredibly impressed that you took the time
to type in all the code from the videos!
From: Stanisław Halik
thus spoke GP lisper <········@clouddancer.com>:

> This is from the viewpoint of someone just grappling with the object
> idea, a master of CLOS isn't going to be watching much of the video
> series.

That gave me an idea for a MOP lispcast. :-)

--
You only have power over people so long as you don’t take everything
away from them. But when you’ve robbed a man of everything he’s no longer
From: GP lisper
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:10:21 +0100, <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
> series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
> raytracer in Lisp.
>
> http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html
>
> Just in time for the christmas holidays.
>
> Great stuff, well done!

10 fingers up!

So far, I've learned that my typing speed cannot quite keep up, but
all the backtracking of errors is WONDERFUL for a CLOS noob.  I got
thru the first movie, and just now skipped to the last to see what all
the work is about, but otherwise it's great.  For me, it's pitched at
the right level, so no changes to suggest.

VLC can be utilized to slow down the movies when needed, and of course
there is always a rewind on any .mov viewer.

From: Alexander Lehmann
On 16 Dez., 06:15, GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:
> 10 fingers up!

Thank you very much!

> So far, I've learned that my typing speed cannot quite keep up, but
> all the backtracking of errors is WONDERFUL for a CLOS noob.

Actually, I'd like to say the errors were intentional, but now you
have given me the perfect excuse for my faults ;-)

> VLC can be utilized to slow down the movies when needed, and of course
> there is always a rewind on any .mov viewer.

Yes, the typing is a bit fast sometimes. Thank you for that hint!
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Dec 16, 11:46 pm, Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:
> On 16 Dez., 06:15, GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:
>
> > 10 fingers up!
>
> Thank you very much!
I watched the first video, and it's great. Looking forward to find
some time to watch the rest of them.
It was interesting how you demonstrated replace string with slime  for
your methods. Anyway I wonder if emacs would be easier to learn if it
had a sort of meta listener for editing the code.

bobi

From: Alexander Lehmann
On 18 Dez., 09:30, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It was interesting how you demonstrated replace string with slime  for
> your methods. Anyway I wonder if emacs would be easier to learn if it
> had a sort of meta listener for editing the code.

Although I generally prefer another popular editor (hint hint), Emacs
is a wonderful "IDE" for Lisp development, in particular when using
SLIME. Actually, I "learned" Emacs solely for this purpose. Once you
have a cheat sheet for both Emacs and SLIME, you get used to the
keybindings, functions, etc. and hence become familiar with Emacs very
quickly.

What do you mean by "meta listener"?
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Dec 18, 12:59 pm, Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:
> On 18 Dez., 09:30, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It was interesting how you demonstrated replace string with slime  for
> > your methods. Anyway I wonder if emacs would be easier to learn if it
> > had a sort of meta listener for editing the code.
>
> Although I generally prefer another popular editor (hint hint), Emacs
> is a wonderful "IDE" for Lisp development, in particular when using
> SLIME. Actually, I "learned" Emacs solely for this purpose. Once you
> have a cheat sheet for both Emacs and SLIME, you get used to the
> keybindings, functions, etc. and hence become familiar with Emacs very
> quickly.
>
> What do you mean by "meta listener"?
Lisp listener that will work on the buffer/IDE. So you could evaluate
something like (replace-string "foo" "baz") or (count (lambda (token)
(and (integerp (read token)) (> token 7))))   etc. So you're always in
lisp mode. Full power of lisp always in the IDE.

bobi

bobi
From: Thomas A. Russ
Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> writes:
> On Dec 18, 12:59��pm, Alexander Lehmann <········@in.tum.de> wrote:
> > On 18 Dez., 09:30, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway I wonder if emacs would be easier to learn if it
> > > had a sort of meta listener for editing the code.
> > What do you mean by "meta listener"?

> Lisp listener that will work on the buffer/IDE. So you could evaluate
> something like (replace-string "foo" "baz") or (count (lambda (token)
> (and (integerp (read token)) (> token 7))))   etc. So you're always in
> lisp mode. Full power of lisp always in the IDE.

You mean like you get with M-:   (meta-colon)?

But I don't really think that would make Emacs easier to learn.  You
would have to learn the elisp language first, and then use it to write
code that changes the editor buffer.  I think direct manipulation with
the standard Emacs commands would be better.

But for the hard-core Emacs hacker, it's already there.

From: Matthias Buelow
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:

> Lisp listener that will work on the buffer/IDE. So you could evaluate
> something like (replace-string "foo" "baz") or (count (lambda (token)
> (and (integerp (read token)) (> token 7))))   etc. So you're always in
> lisp mode. Full power of lisp always in the IDE.

I'd prefer to have an ed(1)-style buffer that would operate on the
current buffer; a couple years ago I was having a look for such a thing
and was rather surprised it didn't exist (or maybe I have overlooked
it). I briefly considered writing one myself but was too lazy so far. ;)
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Dec 15, 3:10 pm, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> Probably many know that I made a few movies showing
> obscure and dead user interfaces or how to write
> some code parsing trivial data records. This has
> spawned some screencasts done by other people.
>
> This time it's Alexander Lehmann who made a whole
> series of screencasts showing how to write a 'simple'
> raytracer in Lisp.
>
> http://home.in.tum.de/~lehmanna/lisp-tutorial.html
>
> Just in time for the christmas holidays.
>
> Great stuff, well done!
>
> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/

Cool, thanks for sharing. I'm downloading them at the moment.

bobi