From: Kenny
Subject: The Dead End to Lisp?
http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey

-> 404

The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: The Dead End to Lisp?
Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
| -> 404
|
| The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
|
| http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
+---------------

It appears that sometime on 2008-12-10, the DNS entry for the
IP address of the domain name "wiki.alu.org" was changed from
its previous value (the Wiki server) to be the same as the
IP address of "alu.org". And indeed, <http://wiki.alu.org/>
now serves up exactly the same content as <http://alu.org/>.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: GP lisper
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:19:47 -0600, <····@rpw3.org> wrote:
> Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
>| http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>| -> 404
>
> It appears that sometime on 2008-12-10, the DNS entry for the
> IP address of the domain name "wiki.alu.org" was changed from
> its previous value (the Wiki server) to be the same as the
> IP address of "alu.org". And indeed, <http://wiki.alu.org/>
> now serves up exactly the same content as <http://alu.org/>.

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all different.

If I followed this thread, then you mention at the appropriate IP, one
may find the wiki once again.  Might you post the appropriate IP?

From: Rob Warnock
| If I followed this thread, then you mention at the appropriate IP,
| one may find the wiki once again. Might you post the appropriate IP?
+---------------

Wouldn't help, I suspect, since the previous server provides
multiple virtual hosts, and would have to be accessed *as*
"wiki.alu.org" to get the right content. [Yes, one can in theory
write a client which spoofs the HTTP/1.1 "Host:" header, but I
don't know of any standard browsers that will do that.]

I'm still trying to find out just exactly what happened myself.
If I do, I'll report back...

-Rob

p.s. The Wayback Machine has a Feb'08 snapshot, see:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20080208102418/http://wiki.alu.org/
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080208102418/http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080208102418/http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

Unfortunately, the latest version of the source of the latter page
is this one:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20071215104907/http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film?action=edit

-----
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-12-13, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>
> -> 404
>
> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>
> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

Time to recreate the cliki.net original from the Google caches? :)

http://www.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey
From: Kenny
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2008-12-13, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>>
>>-> 404
>>
>>The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>>
>>http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
>

> Time to recreate the cliki.net original from the Google caches? :)
>
> http://www.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey

Actually cliki was the first to throw out The Road.

:)

kt
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:29 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>
> -> 404
>
> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>
> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}

Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
(the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.

..I'm not serious.

But ok, yeah -- that thing should be preserved somehow. I think it is
responsible for triggering curiosity in those thinking "there's got to
be something better out there!".

I remember reading it back in 2003 or so thinking "wtf. is this?".
From: Kenny
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:29 -0500, Kenny wrote:
>
>>http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>>
>>-> 404
>>
>>The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>>
>>http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
>

> haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}
>
> Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
> (the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
> connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
> bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.
>
> ..I'm not serious.
>
> But ok, yeah -- that thing should be preserved somehow. I think it is
> responsible for triggering curiosity in those thinking "there's got to
> be something better out there!".
>
> I remember reading it back in 2003 or so thinking "wtf. is this?".

Ah, so you were just returning the favor when... well, I'll let you read
it for your self:

   http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-qooxdoo.html

thx again,

kt
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 23:19 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:29 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> >
> >>http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
> >>
> >>-> 404
> >>
> >>The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
> >>
> >>http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
> >

> > haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}
> >
> > Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
> > (the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
> > connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
> > bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.
> >
> > ..I'm not serious.
> >
> > But ok, yeah -- that thing should be preserved somehow. I think it is
> > responsible for triggering curiosity in those thinking "there's got to
> > be something better out there!".
> >
> > I remember reading it back in 2003 or so thinking "wtf. is this?".
> >

> Ah, so you were just returning the favor when... well, I'll let you read
> it for your self:
>
>    http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-qooxdoo.html
>
> thx again,
>
> kt

Ok that's cool .. I'm glad it worked out .. :)

I might just hop on the qooxdoo bandwagon wrt. SW eventually .. don't ..
know .. yet. Working on other (non-widget) parts now really.
From: Kenny
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 23:19 -0500, Kenny wrote:
>
>>Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

>>>haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}
>>>
>>>Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
>>>(the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
>>>connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
>>>bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.
>>>
>>>..I'm not serious.
>>>
>>>But ok, yeah -- that thing should be preserved somehow. I think it is
>>>responsible for triggering curiosity in those thinking "there's got to
>>>be something better out there!".
>>>
>>>I remember reading it back in 2003 or so thinking "wtf. is this?".
>>>

>>Ah, so you were just returning the favor when... well, I'll let you read
>>it for your self:
>>
>>   http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-qooxdoo.html
>>
>>thx again,
>>
>>kt
>

> Ok that's cool .. I'm glad it worked out .. :)
>
> I might just hop on the qooxdoo bandwagon wrt. SW eventually .. don't ..
> know .. yet. Working on other (non-widget) parts now really.

Oh, no. qooxdoo is antithetical to your/our ideal. We want 99% Lisp, 1%
JS/HTML/CSS. You are on the right track except for your inexplicable
omission of Cells to support the dataflow thing. But I am sure you are
doing a fine job with your greenspunning of same so don't mind me.

cheers, kenneth

ps. Who is the enormous nutjob buzzing around, and where is the
flyswatter? Has it written any Lisp? The name sounds unfamiliar. k
From: Thomas F. Burdick
I do hope they backed up the wiki before killing it. It would be a
shame to lose a nice collection of stories like that.

On 13 déc, 07:47, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> ps. Who is the enormous nutjob buzzing around, and where is the
> flyswatter? Has it written any Lisp? The name sounds unfamiliar. k

He's been around trolling on lisp fora for years. He used to annoy the
denizens of #lisp, maybe still does. As far as I know, not only hasn't
he written anything, he's never even asked a coherent question. You'll
notice that his username is a reference to needing more
methamphetamine, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
From: Madhu
* "Thomas F. Burdick" Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 03:28:29 -0800 (PST):

| I do hope they backed up the wiki before killing it. It would be a
| shame to lose a nice collection of stories like that.
|
| On 13 déc, 07:47, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
|
|> ps. Who is the enormous nutjob buzzing around, and where is the
|> flyswatter? Has it written any Lisp? The name sounds unfamiliar. k

More ad hominem for burdick.

| He's been around trolling on lisp fora for years. He used to annoy the
| denizens of #lisp, maybe still does. As far as I know, not only hasn't
| he written anything, he's never even asked a coherent question. You'll
| notice that his username is a reference to needing more
| methamphetamine, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

briefly: i've posted more code on cll than burdick has.  My nick refers
to "Error No available Method." an error code in an OO Language I worked
on during gradschool.  The #lisp logs are public so anyone can decide
for themselves on the trolling allegations

It should be clear this thread was nothing but an elaborate setup of
the OP to promote a blog posting.

The rest of it seems to be mutual oral sex (on the lines of "sign up
for my rss feed!" "Link to my page!") between the OP and another
poster who have never used any of each other's software earlier; but
both of them put on the internet oral sex show anyway, because, hey,
more adclicks for both of them!

WHY THIS AFFECTS ME MORE THAN IT SHOULD:

[I'm not very good at articulating my concerns but let me try.]

I recently saw an ad posted on CLL on the topic of web frameworks in
java: [note the promise-failure-catch]

,----
| Great Indian Developer Summit. Bangalore, December 10, 2008: If you
| are a Java developer building web- based applications and tired of the
| countless frameworks that promise you a slick UI fast but fail to live
| up to their promise, then switch to [name of product elided].
|
| If you are a Java developer building web- based applications and tired
| of the countless frameworks that promise you a slick UI fast but fail
| to live up to their promise, then switch to Rich Internet Applications
| (RIA), Web 2.0, Ajax, Agile, SOA, and Enterprise IT. For both veterans
| and newcomers to the world of .NET, Java, and the Rich Web [more buzz
| elided]
`----

Apparently people have found ways to make money off an ecosystem where
a developer tries framework after disappointing framework in a game
that is rigged from the start.  No doubt investments are afoot to get
the lisp slice of this pie.  Now the concern is that the OP is
striving to bring this unsatisfactory state of affairs upon lisp
developers.  [by "leveraging" his celebrity/credibility status from
numerous posts]. If indeed it pans out to my worst case scenario it
might indeed spell out the truth of this thread's topic.  <ominous
wagner music with howling dogs in background />

--
Madhu :)
From: Kenny
> Apparently people have found ways to make money off an ecosystem where
> a developer tries framework after disappointing framework in a game
> that is rigged from the start.

Then find a post by me to the qooxdoo-devel list before November 16 (I
had to check when some jerks on c.l.js took the same desperate "gee I
can't think of anything intelligent to say so I will accuse him of
lying" tack). Investigate also my posts to the YUI and Dojo lists. You
won't find much on the latter because it turns out #dojo is the main
source of support. If they have archives, reassure yourself there. To
jQuery's credit I never needed a list, but even that plus brings us back
to the problem: there is nothing there.

>  No doubt investments are afoot to get
> the lisp slice of this pie.  Now the concern is that the OP is
> striving to bring this unsatisfactory state of affairs upon lisp
> developers.  [by "leveraging" his celebrity/credibility status from
> numerous posts]. If indeed it pans out to my worst case scenario it
> might indeed spell out the truth of this thread's topic.  <ominous
> wagner music with howling dogs in background />

I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next lunatic, but only in
proportion to the gravity of the subject: Kennedy assassination, fine.
Moon landing, OK. 9/11, good. Dianna's death, definitely. A javascript
framework...ouch.

Well, you can go check a few a mailing list archives and come back with
actual facts to prove you did it and let the world know your concerns
were misplaced or you can do nothing which will look /really/ bad for
you. Your choice.

Prove 'em wrong, Maddhog! Go hit those lists! We'll be waiting.
From: Madhu
* Kenny <························@cv.net> :
Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:01:25 -0500:

| Prove 'em wrong, Maddhog! Go hit those lists! We'll be waiting.

I'm going to do no such thing, better to just kill this thread.
--
Madhu
From: Madhu
* Kenny <························@cv.net> :
Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:01:25 -0500:

[context readded]

|* Madhu <··············@moon.robolove.meer.net> :
| Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:16:06 +0530:
|
|> * "Thomas F. Burdick" Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 03:28:29 -0800 (PST):
|> |
|> | On 13 déc, 07:47, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
|> |

|> More ad hominem for* burdick.
|>
|> | He's been around trolling on lisp fora for years. He used to annoy the
|> | denizens of #lisp, maybe still does. As far as I know, not only hasn't
|> | he written anything, he's never even asked a coherent question. You'll
|> | notice that his username is a reference to needing more
|> | methamphetamine, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
|>
|> briefly: i've posted more code on cll than burdick has.  My nick refers
|> to "Error No available Method." an error code in an OO Language I worked
|> on during gradschool.  The #lisp logs are public so anyone can decide
|> for themselves on the trolling allegations
|>
|> It should be clear this thread was nothing but an elaborate setup of
|> the OP to promote a blog posting.
|>
|> The rest of it seems to be mutual oral sex (on the lines of "sign up
|> for my rss feed!" "Link to my page!") between the OP and another
|> poster who have never used any of each other's software earlier; but
|> both of them put on the internet oral sex show anyway, because, hey,
|> more adclicks for both of them!
|>
|> WHY THIS AFFECTS ME MORE THAN IT SHOULD:
|>
|> [I'm not very good at articulating my concerns but let me try.]
|>
|> I recently saw an ad posted on CLL on the topic of web frameworks in
|> java: [note the promise-failure-catch]
|>
|> ,----
|> | Great Indian Developer Summit. Bangalore, December 10, 2008: If you
|> | are a Java developer building web- based applications and tired of the
|> | countless frameworks that promise you a slick UI fast but fail to live
|> | up to their promise, then switch to [name of product elided].
|> |
|> | If you are a Java developer building web- based applications and tired
|> | of the countless frameworks that promise you a slick UI fast but fail
|> | to live up to their promise, then switch to Rich Internet Applications
|> | (RIA), Web 2.0, Ajax, Agile, SOA, and Enterprise IT. For both veterans
|> | and newcomers to the world of .NET, Java, and the Rich Web [more buzz
|> | elided]
|> `----
|>
|> Apparently people have found ways to make money off an ecosystem where
|> a developer tries framework after disappointing framework in a game
|> that is rigged from the start.  No doubt investments are afoot to get
|> the lisp slice of this pie.  Now the concern is that the OP is
|> striving to bring this unsatisfactory state of affairs upon lisp
|> developers.  [by "leveraging" his celebrity/credibility status from
|> numerous posts]. If indeed it pans out to my worst case scenario it
|> might indeed spell out the truth of this thread's topic.  <ominous
|> wagner music with howling dogs in background />
|>

|> Apparently people have found ways to make money off an ecosystem where
|> a developer tries framework after disappointing framework in a game
|> that is rigged from the start.

See the posting in this very thread
<······························@blackbox.nostdal.org>
<··································································@blackbox.nostdal.org>

| Then find a post by me to the qooxdoo-devel list before November 16 (I
| had to check when some jerks on c.l.js took the same desperate "gee I
| can't think of anything intelligent to say so I will accuse him of
| lying" tack). Investigate also my posts to the YUI and Dojo lists. You
| won't find much on the latter because it turns out #dojo is the main
| source of support. If they have archives, reassure yourself there. To
| jQuery's credit I never needed a list, but even that plus brings us
| back to the problem: there is nothing there.
|
|>  No doubt investments are afoot to get
|> the lisp slice of this pie.  Now the concern is that the OP is
|> striving to bring this unsatisfactory state of affairs upon lisp
|> developers.  [by "leveraging" his celebrity/credibility status from
|> numerous posts]. If indeed it pans out to my worst case scenario it
|> might indeed spell out the truth of this thread's topic.  <ominous
|> wagner music with howling dogs in background />
|
| I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next lunatic, but only in
| proportion to the gravity of the subject: Kennedy assassination,
| fine. Moon landing, OK. 9/11, good. Dianna's death, definitely. A
| javascript framework...ouch.
|
| Well, you can go check a few a mailing list archives and come back
| with actual facts to prove you did it and let the world know your
| concerns were misplaced or you can do nothing which will look /really/
| bad for you. Your choice.
|
| Prove 'em wrong, Maddhog! Go hit those lists! We'll be waiting.

Pardon me, but you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
shit about what you posted on some javascript lists

--
Madhu
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 17:16 +0530, Madhu wrote:
> * "Thomas F. Burdick" Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 03:28:29 -0800 (PST):
>
> | I do hope they backed up the wiki before killing it. It would be a
> | shame to lose a nice collection of stories like that.
> |
> | On 13 déc, 07:47, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> |
> |> ps. Who is the enormous nutjob buzzing around, and where is the
> |> flyswatter? Has it written any Lisp? The name sounds unfamiliar. k
>
> More ad hominem for burdick.
>
> | He's been around trolling on lisp fora for years. He used to annoy the
> | denizens of #lisp, maybe still does. As far as I know, not only hasn't
> | he written anything, he's never even asked a coherent question. You'll
> | notice that his username is a reference to needing more
> | methamphetamine, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
>
> briefly: i've posted more code on cll than burdick has.  My nick refers
> to "Error No available Method." an error code in an OO Language I worked
> on during gradschool.  The #lisp logs are public so anyone can decide
> for themselves on the trolling allegations
>
> It should be clear this thread was nothing but an elaborate setup of
> the OP to promote a blog posting.

yesss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY
From: Madhu
* Kenny <························@cv.net> :
Wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:19:12 -0500:

| Ah, so you were just returning the favor when... well, I'll let you
| read it for your self:

[advertisment elided]

awesome. I think you've successfully beat the mcclim folk in efforts
ability to suck developer time and effort on your projects.  Maybe this
will see even better results :)
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 08:48 +0530, Madhu wrote:
> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
> Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:03:24 +0100:
>
> | Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
> | (the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
> | connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
> | bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.
>
> I suggest you restrict your misrepreprestation and incorrect portrayel
> of facts to web forums and not spill over to usenet.  cll has its share
> of xah, harrop, garret etc. already. no need for more self proclaimed
> "lisp saviours" to subvert it more

haha, you're insane .. this is great! .. *heads for more beer*
From: Madhu
Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:32:38 +0100:

| On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 08:48 +0530, Madhu wrote:
|> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
|> Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:03:24 +0100:
|>
|> | Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside. JavaScript is bad
|> | (the ads!), HTML is bad (the ads!), TCP is bad (I forget why!). Anything
|> | connected with the "real" or "outside" world in _any_ way possible, is
|> | bad or _potentially_ bad. It's all downwards and inwards; always.
|>
|> I suggest you restrict your misrepreprestation and incorrect portrayel
|> of facts to web forums and not spill over to usenet.  cll has its share
|> of xah, harrop, garret etc. already. no need for more self proclaimed
|> "lisp saviours" to subvert it more
|
| haha, you're insane .. this is great! .. *heads for more beer*

everyone else, please ignore the drunk. thanks
--
Madhu
From: Albert Krewinkel
Madhu <·······@meer.net> writes:

> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
> Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:32:38 +0100:
>
> | On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 08:48 +0530, Madhu wrote:
> |> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :

> |> I suggest you restrict your misrepreprestation and incorrect portrayel
> |> of facts to web forums and not spill over to usenet.  cll has its share
> |> of xah, harrop, garret etc. already. no need for more self proclaimed
> |> "lisp saviours" to subvert it more
> |
> | haha, you're insane .. this is great! .. *heads for more beer*
>
> everyone else, please ignore the drunk. thanks

Shuddup ya.  I learned that beer and lisp go good together.  Also, don't
forget the Balmer Peak.  Prost!  *drinks*
From: Kenny
Madhu wrote:
> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
> Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:32:38 +0100:
>
> | On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 08:48 +0530, Madhu wrote:
> |> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :

> |> I suggest you restrict your misrepreprestation and incorrect portrayel
> |> of facts to web forums and not spill over to usenet.  cll has its share
> |> of xah, harrop, garret etc. already. no need for more self proclaimed
> |> "lisp saviours" to subvert it more
> |
> | haha, you're insane .. this is great! .. *heads for more beer*
>
> everyone else, please ignore the drunk. thanks
> --
> Madhu

The inmates have taken over. Awesome!

kxo
From: Mark Tarver
> Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside.

Would you care to elaborate?  I'm genuinely interested - 'eaten from
the inside' sounds quite nasty ;).

Mark
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 06:01 -0800, Mark Tarver wrote:
> > Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside.
>
> Would you care to elaborate?  I'm genuinely interested - 'eaten from
> the inside' sounds quite nasty ;).
>
> Mark

I don't think it represents the entire community by far and I wasn't
really serious, but some don't seem to _like_ Lisp being used for web
stuff.

I don't know; Edi has left c.l.l.. Evolve or die. Maybe he has switched
to Ruby, Rails, Python or Pylons or something.

There's work being done anyway. Drew is working on a branch of UCW
called lisp-on-lines; continuations, AJAX -- web stuff! Leslie is doing
Weblocks; there's been a lot of stuff going on here lately and I haven't
been able to keep up. Attila Lendvai is working on something called WUI
and he has some _really_ cool stuff going on wrt. connecting a (web) UI
with a DB backend. ...and, I'm doing my own weird web thing. Oh, and I
think Hans is working on Hunchentoot from time to time still! :)
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 17:24 +0100, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 06:01 -0800, Mark Tarver wrote:
> > > Lisp is being eaten up from the outside and inside.
> >
> > Would you care to elaborate?  I'm genuinely interested - 'eaten from
> > the inside' sounds quite nasty ;).
> >
> > Mark
>
> I don't think it represents the entire community by far and I wasn't
> really serious, but some don't seem to _like_ Lisp being used for web
> stuff.

wait, no .. one do not have to like "the web" or like some particular
way of "doing the web" .. that's not what i mean or expect

..i'm paranoid about the paranoia..
From: Madhu
* Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:03:24 +0100:

| On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:29 -0500, Kenny wrote:
|> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
|>
|> -> 404
|>
|> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
|>
|> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
|
| haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}

If I posted to usenet everytime i accessed c-l.net (which is rare) and
found it was down or something i wanted did not work, i'd have reached
your fallacious conclusion many times.

--
Madhu
From: Kenny
Madhu wrote:
> * Lars Rune Nøstdal <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org> :
> Wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:03:24 +0100:
>
> | On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 20:29 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> |> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
> |>
> |> -> 404
> |>
> |> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
> |>
> |> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
> |
> | haha .. so the "yobbos" finally did it .. :}
> |

> If I posted to usenet everytime i accessed c-l.net (which is rare) and
> found it was down or something i wanted did not work, i'd have reached
> your fallacious conclusion many times.

Well I was clever enough to check the ALU site, that was up. And I
checked multiple RtL pages -- the survey, the highlights, Paul Graham's
page -- they are all gone.

Well, disk drives are pretty expensive...

kzo
From: Rob Warnock
Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Madhu wrote:
| > If I posted to usenet everytime i accessed c-l.net (which is rare) and
| > found it was down or something i wanted did not work, i'd have reached
| > your fallacious conclusion many times.
|
| Well I was clever enough to check the ALU site, that was up. And I
| checked multiple RtL pages -- the survey, the highlights, Paul Graham's
| page -- they are all gone.
+---------------

That's because the domain name has been changed to point to a server
that doesn't have the Wiki software on it. [See my parallel reply.]
<http://wiki.alu.org/> & <http://alu.org/> are now the same IP address
[they weren't before 2008-12-10], and now serve up identical content,
e.g., <http://wiki.alu.org/alu/alu-minutes>.

-Rob

-----
From: Kenny
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Kenny  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | Madhu wrote:
> | > If I posted to usenet everytime i accessed c-l.net (which is rare) and
> | > found it was down or something i wanted did not work, i'd have reached
> | > your fallacious conclusion many times.
> |
> | Well I was clever enough to check the ALU site, that was up. And I
> | checked multiple RtL pages -- the survey, the highlights, Paul Graham's
> | page -- they are all gone.
> +---------------
>
> That's because the domain name has been changed to point to a server
> that doesn't have the Wiki software on it. [See my parallel reply.]
> <http://wiki.alu.org/> & <http://alu.org/> are now the same IP address
> [they weren't before 2008-12-10], and now serve up identical content,
> e.g., <http://wiki.alu.org/alu/alu-minutes>.

Ah, nice sleuthwork. So anything wiki is gone? Damn, the whole
conspiracy theory was so much more fun. I kinda like the idea of the
Lisp community trying to purge all evidence of my existence now that I
have abandoned it for javascript.

kzo
From: WalterGR
On Dec 12, 5:29 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>
> -> 404
>
> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>
> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highligh...

Uh... is this not a cause for alarm?  I don't see anything on alu.org
mentioning it.  Anyone know if somebody's working on the problem?

Thanks.
From: D Herring
WalterGR wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:29 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey
>>
>> -> 404
>>
>> The ALU is dead! Long live the Google!
>>
>> http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highligh...
>
> Uh... is this not a cause for alarm?  I don't see anything on alu.org
> mentioning it.  Anyone know if somebody's working on the problem?

Yes.  On Saturday, Nick Levine emailed that he was working on it (I
had contacted the ALU wrt this issue).  The ALU website mentions that
they started having issues a couple months ago; I'd guess the wiki got
whacked while working on another problem.

- Daniel
From: WalterGR
On Dec 17, 6:17 pm, D Herring <········@at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:

> Yes.  On Saturday, Nick Levine emailed that he was working on it (I
> had contacted the ALU wrt this issue).

Great, thanks.  Did he mention whether they still have the data?  If
not, we / someone / I should begin recovering a "mirror" from the
Google cache - before it spiders the site again and removes the pages
from its index.

Walter
From: WalterGR
On Dec 18, 1:46 am, WalterGR <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 6:17 pm, D Herring <········@at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes.  On Saturday, Nick Levine emailed that he was working on it (I
> > had contacted the ALU wrt this issue).
>
> Great, thanks.  Did he mention whether they still have the data?  If
> not, we / someone / I should begin recovering a "mirror" from the
> Google cache - before it spiders the site again and removes the pages
> from its index.
>
> Walter

I e-mailed Nick Levine directly.  I'll report back.

Walter