From: =?GB2312?B?y/jXodfT?=
Subject: Another asdf confusion (sorry!)
I know half of the questions on this list are asdf-related, but for a
new Lisp user, this is definitely stumbling block number one.

I'm on MacOSX, using OpenMCL (1.2-r10485M-RC1) via Slime, inside an
emacs session running in Terminal.app. I've already figured out that
Slime and asdf-install hate each other, so I've been using the plain
old ccl command to enter a command-line REPL and do installation
there.

Mostly that has worked, but the packages I install via ccl are then
unaccessible within Slime. I start Slime and ccl cold. Evaluating
(asdf:find-system 'cl-ppcre) in ccl finds the system, doing the same
in Slime produces asdf:missing-component. So far as I understand it
(not far), both methods are invoking the same lisp/asdf installation,
so I don't know what's going wrong. I've got a ccl-init.lisp, loaded
by ccl (but not by Slime?), with this in it:

(require :asdf)
(pushnew "/Path/to/ccl/registry/asdf-install.asd" asdf:*central-
registry* :test #'equal)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)

But if I evaluate those exact lines in Slime, I still get the same
problem. Are there any other initialization tricks I'm missing? Is
Slime not finding my .asdf-install-dir?

Unrelated, but equally frustrating: I'm trying to install
portableaserve. asdf-install chokes on the remote sourceforge URL, and
if I download the tar.gz archive to disk and try to asdf-install that,
I get NIL. Just NIL, nothing else. Does anyone know what that might
indicate?

Thanks for your patience, and I hope someone's willing to give a
newbie a hand...

Eric

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Another asdf confusion (sorry!)
锁住子 <······@gmail.com> writes:

> I know half of the questions on this list are asdf-related, but for a
> new Lisp user, this is definitely stumbling block number one.
>
> I'm on MacOSX, using OpenMCL (1.2-r10485M-RC1) via Slime, inside an
> emacs session running in Terminal.app. I've already figured out that
> Slime and asdf-install hate each other, so I've been using the plain
> old ccl command to enter a command-line REPL and do installation
> there.
>
> Mostly that has worked, but the packages I install via ccl are then
> unaccessible within Slime. I start Slime and ccl cold. Evaluating
> (asdf:find-system 'cl-ppcre) in ccl finds the system, doing the same
> in Slime produces asdf:missing-component. So far as I understand it
> (not far), both methods are invoking the same lisp/asdf installation,
> so I don't know what's going wrong. I've got a ccl-init.lisp, loaded
> by ccl (but not by Slime?), with this in it:

Why is it not loaded when you launch ccl from slime?
Are you actually launching ccl?
Type: (lisp-implementation-type) ; in lisp
Or are you launching it with disabling options?
Type: inferior-lisp-program C-u C-x C-e in emacs.

> Unrelated, but equally frustrating: I'm trying to install
> portableaserve. asdf-install chokes on the remote sourceforge URL, and
> if I download the tar.gz archive to disk and try to asdf-install that,
> I get NIL. Just NIL, nothing else. Does anyone know what that might
> indicate?

If you download it yourself, don't use asdf-install anymore.  Unpack
the tarball, and add the directory where the .asd lies on
asdf:*central-registry*.    Then you can (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op it).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: =?GB2312?B?y/jXodfT?=
On Dec 8, 5:45 pm, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Ëøס×Ó <······@gmail.com> writes:
> > I know half of the questions on this list are asdf-related, but for a
> > new Lisp user, this is definitely stumbling block number one.
>
> > I'm on MacOSX, using OpenMCL (1.2-r10485M-RC1) via Slime, inside an
> > emacs session running in Terminal.app. I've already figured out that
> > Slime and asdf-install hate each other, so I've been using the plain
> > old ccl command to enter a command-line REPL and do installation
> > there.
>
> > Mostly that has worked, but the packages I install via ccl are then
> > unaccessible within Slime. I start Slime and ccl cold. Evaluating
> > (asdf:find-system 'cl-ppcre) in ccl finds the system, doing the same
> > in Slime produces asdf:missing-component. So far as I understand it
> > (not far), both methods are invoking the same lisp/asdf installation,
> > so I don't know what's going wrong. I've got a ccl-init.lisp, loaded
> > by ccl (but not by Slime?), with this in it:
>
> Why is it not loaded when you launch ccl from slime?
> Are you actually launching ccl?
> Type: (lisp-implementation-type) ; in lisp
> Or are you launching it with disabling options?
> Type: inferior-lisp-program C-u C-x C-e in emacs.
>
> > Unrelated, but equally frustrating: I'm trying to install
> > portableaserve. asdf-install chokes on the remote sourceforge URL, and
> > if I download the tar.gz archive to disk and try to asdf-install that,
> > I get NIL. Just NIL, nothing else. Does anyone know what that might
> > indicate?
>
> If you download it yourself, don't use asdf-install anymore.  Unpack
> the tarball, and add the directory where the .asd lies on
> asdf:*central-registry*.    Then you can (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op it).

Thank you! Your questions and pointers were enough to clue me in to
how the process was actually working. Ccl and Slime were indeed using
the same Lisp image, the problem was with how I had set up asdf. I had
thought that adding a directory to the *central-registry*, then
symlinking .asd files into that directory, would be enough to load
manually-installed packages, which wasn't true, as you said. I had
also assumed that asdf's default .asdf-install-dir/systems/ would be
in the *central-registry* by default, which it wasn't. I still don't
know why the asdf tutorial says you can :install local archives
directly when you can't, but who cares! It works now.

Thanks again,
Eric