From: Francogrex
Subject: asdf confusion
Hi, I am struggling to understand how to work with asdf. I have read
some good instructions on the web, but none give really practical
examples from a to z on how to make the asdf package function (I need
elementary instructions, something like "asdf for completely mentally
retarded dummies"). For example and this interests me, I am trying to
use the cl-pdf (http://www.cliki.net/CL-PDF), I downloaded the asdf
package and I required asdf (I use sbcl or ecl), so far ok, but then
when I try to load the cl-pdf.asd file, it gives errors (unrecognized
pdf package...). The readme.txt instruction is of little help. Is
there like 2 or 3 simple steps to get this going? Thanks?

From: Kenny
Subject: Re: asdf confusion
Francogrex wrote:
> Hi, I am struggling to understand how to work with asdf. I have read
> some good instructions on the web, but none give really practical
> examples from a to z on how to make the asdf package function (I need
> elementary instructions, something like "asdf for completely mentally
> retarded dummies"). For example and this interests me, I am trying to
> use the cl-pdf (http://www.cliki.net/CL-PDF), I downloaded the asdf
> package and I required asdf (I use sbcl or ecl), so far ok, but then
> when I try to load the cl-pdf.asd file, it gives errors (unrecognized
> pdf package...). The readme.txt instruction is of little help. Is
> there like 2 or 3 simple steps to get this going? Thanks?

http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/beginners-guide-to-asdf-ha.html

hth, kenny
From: Zach Beane
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Francogrex wrote:
>> Hi, I am struggling to understand how to work with asdf. I have read
>> some good instructions on the web, but none give really practical
>> examples from a to z on how to make the asdf package function (I need
>> elementary instructions, something like "asdf for completely mentally
>> retarded dummies"). For example and this interests me, I am trying to
>> use the cl-pdf (http://www.cliki.net/CL-PDF), I downloaded the asdf
>> package and I required asdf (I use sbcl or ecl), so far ok, but then
>> when I try to load the cl-pdf.asd file, it gives errors (unrecognized
>> pdf package...). The readme.txt instruction is of little help. Is
>> there like 2 or 3 simple steps to get this going? Thanks?
>

> http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/beginners-guide-to-asdf-ha.html

I enjoy ASDF a little more than the default by doing a couple things:

  - load http://xach.com/lisp/customize-asdf.lisp to get a few handy
    functions; using ASDF:LOAD* feels nicer than the
    ASDF:OPERATE-ON-SYSTEM machinery

  - keep it simple (as documented in
    http://xach.livejournal.com/130040.html)

Lately I've just been using :serial t because my projects are so small
recompiling everything doesn't matter much.

Zach
From: Kenny
Zach Beane wrote:

> Lately I've just been using :serial t because my projects are so small
> recompiling everything doesn't matter much.

Oh, jeez, yeah, I forgot about ":serial t", another good way to fight
off what I forgot to mention: the problem is ASDF will try to compile
the last file before loading the first file.

Again, don't ask.

p,k
From: Francogrex
On Dec 7, 5:41 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/beginners-guide-to-asdf-ha....
>
> hth, kenny

Thanks everyone, especially Kenny and Pascal for help. Finally I got
it working:
(require 'asdf)
(pushnew #P "c:/cl-pdf/" ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdf)
Hurrah!
From: Kenny
Francogrex wrote:
> On Dec 7, 5:41 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/beginners-guide-to-asdf-ha....
>>
>>hth, kenny
>

> Thanks everyone, especially Kenny and Pascal for help. Finally I got
> it working:
> (require 'asdf)
> (pushnew #P "c:/cl-pdf/" ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*)
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdf)
> Hurrah!

Franco keeps his first-born!!!!!!!! Hurrahhh!!!

kt

ps. No need for :test 'string-equal :key 'namestring on the pushnew?
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Francogrex wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 5:41 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/beginners-guide-to-asdf-ha....
>>>
>>>hth, kenny
>> Thanks everyone, especially Kenny and Pascal for help. Finally I got
>> it working:
>> (require 'asdf)
>> (pushnew #P "c:/cl-pdf/" ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*)
>> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdf)
>> Hurrah!
>
> Franco keeps his first-born!!!!!!!! Hurrahhh!!!
>
> kt
>
> ps. No need for :test 'string-equal :key 'namestring on the pushnew?

:test (function equal) ; will be enough.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Jens Teich
which OS?
Do you use Emacs/Slime?

Jens
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:

> Hi, I am struggling to understand how to work with asdf. I have read
> some good instructions on the web, but none give really practical
> examples from a to z on how to make the asdf package function (I need
> elementary instructions, something like "asdf for completely mentally
> retarded dummies"). For example and this interests me, I am trying to
> use the cl-pdf (http://www.cliki.net/CL-PDF), I downloaded the asdf
> package and I required asdf (I use sbcl or ecl), so far ok, but then
> when I try to load the cl-pdf.asd file, it gives errors (unrecognized
> pdf package...). The readme.txt instruction is of little help. Is
> there like 2 or 3 simple steps to get this going? Thanks?

You  mustn't LOAD the cl-pdf.asd files, you must let ASDF OPERATE an
ASDF:LOAD-OP operation on the :CL-PDF system.

Type:

   (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdf)

Also, before doing that, if you downloaded the cl-pdf system "by hand",
then you need to tell ASDF where to find the cl-pdf.asd file, either
with a symbolic link to a directory present in ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*,
or, more portably, by adding the directory where this cl-pdf.asd file
likes to this ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY* list:

 (pushnew #P"/some/place/where/you/unpacked/cl-pdf/" ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Bob Felts
Pascal J. Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:
>
> > Hi, I am struggling to understand how to work with asdf. I have read
> > some good instructions on the web, but none give really practical
> > examples from a to z on how to make the asdf package function (I need
> > elementary instructions, something like "asdf for completely mentally
> > retarded dummies"). For example and this interests me, I am trying to
> > use the cl-pdf (http://www.cliki.net/CL-PDF), I downloaded the asdf
> > package and I required asdf (I use sbcl or ecl), so far ok, but then
> > when I try to load the cl-pdf.asd file, it gives errors (unrecognized
> > pdf package...). The readme.txt instruction is of little help. Is
> > there like 2 or 3 simple steps to get this going? Thanks?
>
> You  mustn't LOAD the cl-pdf.asd files, you must let ASDF OPERATE an
> ASDF:LOAD-OP operation on the :CL-PDF system.
>
> Type:
>
>    (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdf)

Perfect timing.  I don't want to have to type this.  I want it to be a
part of the source so that it happens automatically.  Is this the proper
incantation?

    (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdr))

Or is this overkill?
From: Zach Beane
····@stablecross.com (Bob Felts) writes:

> Perfect timing.  I don't want to have to type this.  I want it to be a
> part of the source so that it happens automatically.  Is this the proper
> incantation?
>
>   (eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute)
>     (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cl-pdr))
>
> Or is this overkill?

I never make ASDF operations part of my source. I make an .asd file for
my project and add a :depends-on (#:cl-pdf) clause to it. Then I use
ASDF ops to load my project (with the ASDF:LOAD* tweak mentioned
earlier).

I even have .asd files that don't load any actual Lisp files, they just
serve as a way to load a kitchen sink of other projects via the
:depends-on clause.

Zach