From: sross
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Mudballs, A Common Lisp System Manager.
Hi all,

 This post is to announce the release of Mudballs, a collection of
Common Lisp code for managing systems.  It is currently
 in an early stage of development and still has a long way to go but
is currently able to compile,  load, document, download
 and install systems across Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Mudballs
supports the following implementations

  * Lispworks on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
  * SBCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
  * CMUCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
  * CLISP on Linux and Windows (Mac OSX as well provided  you have
FFI).
  * ClozureCL/OpenMCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
  * AllegroCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.

 As it currently stands it is not ASDF compatible (not ideal, I know)
but ASDF support is planned for the future.
 It is available from http://mudballs.com which contains enough
information to get the intrepid lisper on his or her way.

 As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.

> (mb:install :hunchentoot)
> (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)

Cheers,
 Sean.

From: Albert Krewinkel
sross <······@gmail.com> writes:

>  This post is to announce the release of Mudballs, a collection of
> Common Lisp code for managing systems.  It is currently
>  in an early stage of development and still has a long way to go but
> is currently able to compile,  load, document, download
>  and install systems across Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.

Looks very neat, I'm definitely going to try it.

Notes and questions:

* Did you know about lispy? http://common-lisp.net/project/lispy
  What are the diffs?

* How is the load system different from ASDF and/or XCVB?

* You may want to consider adding support for version control
  repositories like darcs, git and svn.

Cheers
Albert
From: MacAllan
Il 02/12/2008, sross ha detto :

>  As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
> installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.
>
>> (mb:install :hunchentoot)
>> (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)

I tried that (clisp on Windows XP). What I get is:

Installing System HUNCHENTOOT.
Downloading source for HUNCHENTOOT from
http://mudballs.com/unstable/systems/hunchentoot.0.15.4.mb.
Verifying md5sum.
Md5sum matches.
Extracting to #P"C:\\Documents and
Settings\\User\\mudballs\\systems\\hunchentoot\\0.15.4\\".

*** - Invalid byte: 39 in #(45 83 105 110 99 101 39)
The following restarts are available:
ABORT          :R1      Abort main loop
Break 1 [5]>

What went wrong?
From: sross
On Dec 2, 8:23 pm, MacAllan <········@interfree.it.invalid> wrote:
> Il 02/12/2008, sross ha detto :
>
> >  As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
> > installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.
>
> >> (mb:install :hunchentoot)
> >> (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)
>
> I tried that (clisp on Windows XP). What I get is:

> Installing System HUNCHENTOOT.
> Downloading source for HUNCHENTOOT fromhttp://mudballs.com/unstable/systems/hunchentoot.0.15.4.mb.
> Verifying md5sum.
> Md5sum matches.
> Extracting to #P"C:\\Documents and
> Settings\\User\\mudballs\\systems\\hunchentoot\\0.15.4\\".
>
> *** - Invalid byte: 39 in #(45 83 105 110 99 101 39)
> The following restarts are available:
> ABORT          :R1      Abort main loop
> Break 1 [5]>
>
> What went wrong?

Good question, what version of CLISP are you using?
From: sross
On Dec 2, 8:23 pm, MacAllan <········@interfree.it.invalid> wrote:
> Il 02/12/2008, sross ha detto :
>
> >  As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
> > installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.
>
> >> (mb:install :hunchentoot)
> >> (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)
>
> I tried that (clisp on Windows XP). What I get is:
> *** - Invalid byte: 39 in #(45 83 105 110 99 101 39)
> The following restarts are available:
> ABORT          :R1      Abort main loop
> Break 1 [5]>
>
> What went wrong?

A bug with gzip-stream.
I've uploaded a new tarball which contains the appropriate fix.

cheers,
 sean.
From: MacAllan
Scriveva sross marted�, 02/12/2008:

> A bug with gzip-stream.
> I've uploaded a new tarball which contains the appropriate fix.

The extraction now works, but later the compiler signals a function
used but not defined (make-lock) in specials.lisp, and when loading the
fasl, it breaks.

I am using clisp 2.46, binary version, no cygwin.

Mudballs seems promising, anyway.
From: sross
On Dec 3, 1:40 am, MacAllan <········@interfree.it.invalid> wrote:
> Scriveva sross martedì, 02/12/2008:

> The extraction now works, but later the compiler signals a function
> used but not defined (make-lock) in specials.lisp, and when loading the
> fasl, it breaks.
>
> I am using clisp 2.46, binary version, no cygwin.
>
> Mudballs seems promising, anyway.

Sorry about that, the hunchentoot version I bundled seems to be
slightly broken on CLISP.
I'll get a new version up as soon as I can.

sean.
From: sross
On Dec 3, 9:46 am, sross <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:40 am, MacAllan <········@interfree.it.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Scriveva sross martedì, 02/12/2008:
> > The extraction now works, but later the compiler signals a function
> > used but not defined (make-lock) in specials.lisp, and when loading the
> > fasl, it breaks.
>
> > I am using clisp 2.46, binary version, no cygwin.
>
> > Mudballs seems promising, anyway.
>
> Sorry about that, the hunchentoot version I bundled seems to be
> slightly broken on CLISP.
> I'll get a new version up as soon as I can.
>
> sean.

I've added a new version (0.15.7) of hunchentoot to the mudballs
definition file.
You can upgrade this file by executing the following.

> (mb:upgrade)
> (sysdef:register-sysdefs)

to downoad the new definition file and register the new version of
hunchentoot in
your lisp image.
You should now be able to (mb:install :hunchentoot :version "0.15.7")

Cheers,
 Sean.
From: MacAllan
sross ha detto questo mercoled� :

> I've added a new version (0.15.7) of hunchentoot to the mudballs
> definition file.
> You can upgrade this file by executing the following.
>
>> (mb:upgrade)
>> (sysdef:register-sysdefs)
>
> to downoad the new definition file and register the new version of
> hunchentoot in
> your lisp image.
> You should now be able to (mb:install :hunchentoot :version "0.15.7")

Thanks, I'll try it out. By the way, I also tried installing
hunchentoot via mudballs on SBCL 1.0.22 on Win XP (despite it not being
a supported platform) and it worked.
From: MacAllan
sross ha pensato forte :
> I've added a new version (0.15.7) of hunchentoot to the mudballs
> definition file.

It worked fine this time. Nice!
From: Kenny
sross wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  This post is to announce the release of Mudballs, a collection of
> Common Lisp code for managing systems.  It is currently
>  in an early stage of development and still has a long way to go but
> is currently able to compile,  load, document, download
>  and install systems across Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Mudballs
> supports the following implementations
>
>   * Lispworks on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>   * SBCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
>   * CMUCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
>   * CLISP on Linux and Windows (Mac OSX as well provided  you have
> FFI).
>   * ClozureCL/OpenMCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>   * AllegroCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>
>  As it currently stands it is not ASDF compatible (not ideal, I know)
> but ASDF support is planned for the future.
>  It is available from http://mudballs.com which contains enough
> information to get the intrepid lisper on his or her way.
>
>  As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
> installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.
>

>>(mb:install :hunchentoot)
>>(hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)

Brilliant.

kt
From: Alessio Stalla
I haven't tried Mudballs yet but it sounds cool. Plus, the website is
really well done and to the point, which is quite rare (we're all lazy
when it comes to documentation :). Kudos for the good work!

From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
sross wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  This post is to announce the release of Mudballs, a collection of
> Common Lisp code for managing systems.  It is currently
>  in an early stage of development and still has a long way to go but
> is currently able to compile,  load, document, download
>  and install systems across Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Mudballs
> supports the following implementations
>
>   * Lispworks on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>   * SBCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
>   * CMUCL on Mac OSX and Linux.
>   * CLISP on Linux and Windows (Mac OSX as well provided  you have
> FFI).
>   * ClozureCL/OpenMCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>   * AllegroCL on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows.
>
>  As it currently stands it is not ASDF compatible (not ideal, I know)
> but ASDF support is planned for the future.
>  It is available from http://mudballs.com which contains enough
> information to get the intrepid lisper on his or her way.
>
>  As a small taste, the following is now possible from a freshly
> installed Lisp with Mudballs loaded.
>
>> (mb:install :hunchentoot)
>> (hunchentoot:start-server :port 8080)
>
> Cheers,
>  Sean.

Awesome. Just tried it, through couple of different implementations both
on Mac OS X 10.5 and Windows XP.

The :ABLE package though when you do (mb:install :able) - directly runs
it, and wants correct wish.exe (or just wish).

Problem is I've got cygwin, and on cygwin they are using some weird
symlinks that work only through the cygwin bash, and not from external
programs. Under it, wish.exe is a small text file pointing to
wish84.exe, with contents like this: "!<symlink>wish84.exe". Now if you
start this under cygwin, or any program using the cygwin runtime it
would interpret it correctly, but if you start from another, it's trying
to load it as an old MS-DOS (640kb) .COM file, which obviously crashes
(not sure what !<symlink> would be as instructions).

Now this has nothing directly to do with MUDBALLS and even ABLE (both
are great programs). It's just CYGWIN, but it might get some people
wondering why stuff does not work.

In the mean time, I'm going to do a script file, which changes all these
hack symlinks to real hardlinks, and I guess I would have to run this
script after every cygwin update.

Cygwin rocks, but it's a fish on a camel - it was designed to be a fish
on a camel.