From: dan
Subject: What websites use Lisp?
I'm putting together a structured wiki that documents what languages,
frameworks, and libraries are used by various websites. One of the
goals of the wiki is to highlight the diverse set of languages and
other components that people can and do use to power their sites.

I'd like to add in some sites that use Lisp and various related
frameworks or components like UnCommon Web (UCW), AllegroServe,
Hunchentoot, mod_lisp, etc.

So, far, I've found a few Lisp sites like http://gainesville-green.com,
http://origamigallery.net/, & http://www.lispnyc.org/wiki.clp?page=about.
But, it's a pretty tough slog.

Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
UCW, mod_lisp)?

Thanks, Dan

From: are
Subject: Re: What websites use Lisp?
From: Leslie P. Polzer
> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?

http://beta2.thanandar.de/

Weblocks rproxied with Apache, Elephant on BDB.

  Leslie
From: Zach Beane
dan <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?

http://wigflip.com/ is powered by TBNL. It's been running odd little
Lisp-powered graphical amusements since 2005. The most popular
application is <http://wigflip.com/signbot/>, which is powered by
Skippy. The most recent is tinytags at <http://wigflip.com/tinytags/>,
which I'm pleased to say topped delicious.com for a while (see
<http://flickr.com/photos/xach/3059723046/>) a few days ago.

Zach
From: Volkan YAZICI
On Dec 2, 2:37 pm, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
> http://wigflip.com/is powered by TBNL. It's been running odd little
> Lisp-powered graphical amusements since 2005. The most popular
> application is <http://wigflip.com/signbot/>, which is powered by
> Skippy. The most recent is tinytags at <http://wigflip.com/tinytags/>,
> which I'm pleased to say topped delicious.com for a while (see
> <http://flickr.com/photos/xach/3059723046/>) a few days ago.

Could you mention about the received traffic statistics in
delicious.com effect? How did Hunchentoot stand that load?

Regards.
From: Zach Beane
Volkan YAZICI <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 2, 2:37 pm, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>> http://wigflip.com/is powered by TBNL. It's been running odd little
>> Lisp-powered graphical amusements since 2005. The most popular
>> application is <http://wigflip.com/signbot/>, which is powered by
>> Skippy. The most recent is tinytags at <http://wigflip.com/tinytags/>,
>> which I'm pleased to say topped delicious.com for a while (see
>> <http://flickr.com/photos/xach/3059723046/>) a few days ago.
>
> Could you mention about the received traffic statistics in
> delicious.com effect? How did Hunchentoot stand that load?

It resulted in about 10,000 page views. I don't use Hunchentoot for
wigflip.com; TBNL didn't have any trouble with the traffic. The server
never got much load as a result.

The movie charts at <http://xach.com/moviecharts/> reached digg.com and
stumbleupon.com popularity, and the traffic effect was much, much, much
bigger than delicious.com. Those files are generated statically by Lisp,
though, and served by nginx, not TBNL.

Zach
From: Duane Rettig
dan <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm putting together a structured wiki that documents what languages,
> frameworks, and libraries are used by various websites. One of the
> goals of the wiki is to highlight the diverse set of languages and
> other components that people can and do use to power their sites.
>
> I'd like to add in some sites that use Lisp and various related
> frameworks or components like UnCommon Web (UCW), AllegroServe,
> Hunchentoot, mod_lisp, etc.
>
> So, far, I've found a few Lisp sites like http://gainesville-green.com,
> http://origamigallery.net/, & http://www.lispnyc.org/wiki.clp?page=about.
> But, it's a pretty tough slog.
>
> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?
>
> Thanks, Dan

http://www.franz.com/enterprise_development_tools.lhtml,
http://agraph.franz.com/

Links to docs for the components are at the bottom of the first page.

--
Duane Rettig  ·····@franz.com Franz Inc.  http://www.franz.com/
2201 Broadway,   Suite 715,  Oakland, Ca. 94612
From: Alberto Riva
dan wrote on 12/02/2008 03:27 AM:

> So, far, I've found a few Lisp sites like http://gainesville-green.com,
> http://origamigallery.net/, & http://www.lispnyc.org/wiki.clp?page=about.
> But, it's a pretty tough slog.
>
> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?

I wrote a few bioinformatics applications in Lisp:

http://snpper.chip.org/

http://mapper.chip.org/

http://bioinformatics.ufl.edu:8080/gp/

They are all based on an HTTP server + web development framework that I
wrote from scratch. I didn't use any of the existing ones, mainly
because... they didn't exist yet when I started :)

Alberto
From: dan
On Dec 2, 12:27 am, dan <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm putting together a structured wiki that documents what languages,
> frameworks, and libraries are used by various websites. One of the
> goals of the wiki is to highlight the diverse set of languages and
> other components that people can and do use to power their sites.
>
> I'd like to add in some sites that use Lisp and various related
> frameworks or components like UnCommon Web (UCW), AllegroServe,
> Hunchentoot, mod_lisp, etc.
>
> So, far, I've found a few Lisp sites likehttp://gainesville-green.com,http://origamigallery.net/, &http://www.lispnyc.org/wiki.clp?page=about.
> But, it's a pretty tough slog.
>
> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?
>
> Thanks, Dan

Thanks, to everybody who responded both to the group and over e-mail.
As soon as I get a chance, I'll add all of the sites.

-Dan
From: dan
> > I'm putting together a structured wiki that documents what languages,
> > frameworks, and libraries are used by various websites. One of the
> > goals of the wiki is to highlight the diverse set of languages and
> > other components that people can and do use to power their sites.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> > sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> > UCW, mod_lisp)?
>
> Thanks, to everybody who responded both to the group and over e-mail.
> As soon as I get a chance, I'll add all of the sites.

Sorry, for the delay in getting this stuff up. The final list is
posted at http://www.appliedstacks.com/PoweredBy/Lisp

The site itself is an open-edit structured wiki, so feel free to
expand or modify the entry for your site. To add a site, just type
http://www.appliedstacks.com/website/(name_of_the_site_to_add_goes_here)
in your address bar.

-Dan
From: Petter Gustad
dan <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website? If so, would you mind
> sharing the URL and what other support components are you using (e.g,
> UCW, mod_lisp)?

http://gratismegler.no

Portable Allegroserve/Webactions and CLSQL running CMUCL. All in
Norwegian. I haven't had any time to develop it futher but I have had
more than 6000 unique hits a month (mostly due to the real estate
statistics at http://gratismegler.no/finn).

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t
> From: dan <··········@gmail.com>
> I'm putting together a structured wiki that documents what
> languages, frameworks, and libraries are used by various websites.
> One of the goals of the wiki is to highlight the diverse set of
> languages and other components that people can and do use to power
> their sites.

It's not clear whether you're talking about the master HTTP server
itself, which in most cases is Apache, or the language used to
write individual CGI or similar applications, whereby one user's
"web site" might be all written in PHP and another's might be all
written in Perl and another's might be all written in Common Lisp,
but all three users are on a single ISP sharing a single Apache
HTTP server. If you're asking about individual users' Web sites
within the overall framework of an Apache HTTP server which all
those users share even though the various users use different
languages for their CGI applications, my personal answer is that I
have (so-far) used CMUCL for all serious applications on my Web
site, but have small demos of how to do simple things in several
other languages. In the future I plan to switch to PHP for the
first-step of getting into services, so that floods from dDOS
botnets won't overload the system, and link PHP into CMUCL only
after I'm sure a particular connection isn't from a dDOS botnet or
other unauthorized automated bulk connection flood. One idea is to
keep the URL of the actual CMUCL CGI script secret, and have a
different alias to that script for each user online at a given
time. The entry-point PHP script then verifies non-botnet, creates
a new alias, and redirects to that alias, and all URLs given in
subsequent Web pages/forms for that user will specify that same
alias again, so that one user will stay with that one alias for the
rest of the session. If any particular alias gets overloaded,
meaning that the user has switched over to a bot, that alias is
disabled, causing subsequent HTTP requests by that user's bot to
get 404 NOT FOUND from the Apache server at very little CPU
overhead, and then if the sysadmin sees infinite spew of additional
HTTP requests to the no-longer-existing URL despite the 404 already
sent, the sysadmin can block the relevant client IP numbers at the
Apache level or at the router level.

> Does anyone here have a Lisp powered website?

(Ambiguous question, see two interpretations above.)

> If so, would you mind sharing the URL and what other support
> components are you using (e.g, UCW, mod_lisp)?

Just regular CGI under Apache here.
To see the overall HTTP server configuration as viewed by PHP:
 <http://www.rawbw.com/~rem/HelloPlus/phpinfo.php>  =  <? phpinfo(); ?>
Let me know if that doesn't answer all your questions about HTTP
server configuration here, if you know a way I can get the
additional info you seek. In particular, there's mod_macro but no
mention of mod_perl or mod_php or even mod_cgi in that report, and
I don't know whether that's because phpinfo doesn't report that
info, or phpinfo *does* report that kind of info but neither
mod_perl nor mod_php is installed here and CGI is built into Apache
without need of any mod_cgi. CGI is explicitly mentionned in the
report, but perl isn't, so maybe mod_perl isn't installed here and
perl is instead running as an ordinary CGI application with a
brand-new start-up of the perl interpretor for each HTTP/CGI
request that tries to run a script starting with #!/usr/bin/perl
A few months or years ago /etc/motd used to mention something about
mod_perl or mod_php, but that info has been removed for a long time
and I don't remember the details of what it used to say.

By the way, timing evidence seems to indicate that re-starting the
same Unix-level application (such as CMUCL) several times in a row
is much faster than the first time that same application has been
started after a long time of not using it. I'm guessing that's
because most of the often-used pages of the core-image (and also
any lisp or fasl files it loads after startup) are already swapped
from disk into disk-cache and/or RAM if the application has been
running recently. Thus mod_lisp isn't really necessary for
efficient operation under medium load, plain old CGI is good
enough. Still PHP ought to be even faster, both the first time and
also repeat times.

When time permits I plan to write some distributed applications
that pass public-key encrypted+signed data objects across the net
from one component to another, typically between CGI or PHP
applications running on this FreeBSD shell account and others
running on a Ubuntu shell in the UK.
From: ··················@gmail.com
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
··················@gmail.com wrote:
> My wet dream would be to use lisp as if it were a java applet.

There is Kamen Lisp:

http://www.progmatism.com/software/kamen/index.php
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
··················@gmail.com writes:

> My wet dream would be to use lisp as if it were a java applet.

Can't we use ABCL or CLforJava to write Java applets?
I'd have a couple of applets I could write in Lisp...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Alessio Stalla
On Dec 9, 10:59 am, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> ··················@gmail.com writes:
> > My wet dream would be to use lisp as if it were a java applet.
>
> Can't we use ABCL or CLforJava to write Java applets?
> I'd have a couple of applets I could write in Lisp...

Unfortunately, if something is written in Java not necessarily it can
be used as an applet. Applets have all sort of security restrictions,
which can be disabled only by manual intervention of the user (which
might be as easy as clicking an "accept" button, or as hard as
modifying .policy files inside the Java implementation - I don't know
the details).
Still, it could be worth trying to load ABCL/CLforJava as an applet,
and see how disastrously it crashes :) maybe it's not too hard to fix
(I'm not even thinking about it running as-is... it's pure science
fiction imho).
Applets do have the advantage that they're immediately available on
all Java-enabled browsers, while a browser plugin would need to be
implemented differently - potentially for every browser/platform
combination.

Alessio Stalla