From: __mario__
Subject: futures in common lisp
Hi,

tried it on c.l.s wihtout any response. Maybe there is any common lisp
implementation which implements futures or a similar constructs. I know
about the multilisp impl but I'm wondering if it was ever implemented in
a recent version of cl.

Thanks

-- Mario

From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
Subject: Re: futures in common lisp
On 31 Aug., 12:43, __mario__ <········@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tried it on c.l.s wihtout any response. Maybe there is any common lisp
> implementation which implements futures or a similar constructs. I know
> about the multilisp impl but I'm wondering if it was ever implemented in
> a recent version of cl.
>
> Thanks
>
> -- Mario

I have not seen that recently. If you look at
old Qlisp descriptions, it had Futures, too.

Most Common Lisp implementations will provide
some threading/process model.

If I understand futures right, then they would
need some low-level support from the
Implementation. When the future has computed
a value, then it would need to replaced by
the value. Also problematic: the interaction
with catch/throw and generally the condition
handling. I don't think that's easy to
do "right". Then there is the interaction
with other constructs. + needs its arguments
to compute the sum. CONS could store the
future in a cons and have it replaced
later. Also not easy to provide.

So, from reading about it Futures don't
look that attractive to me - from
an implementation point of view.

(wow, answering at some beach at the Elbe
with an iPhone :-) )
From: __mario__
> If I understand futures right, then they would
> need some low-level support from the
> Implementation. When the future has computed
> a value, then it would need to replaced by
> the value. Also problematic: the interaction
> with catch/throw and generally the condition
> handling. I don't think that's easy to
> do "right". Then there is the interaction
> with other constructs. + needs its arguments
> to compute the sum. CONS could store the
> future in a cons and have it replaced
> later. Also not easy to provide.

Fully agree to that, I will have a look at QLisp ...

> So, from reading about it Futures don't
> look that attractive to me - from
> an implementation point of view.

 From a language point of view it would be more than nice to have, though.

> (wow, answering at some beach at the Elbe
> with an iPhone :-) )

Reading it close to the Rhine, yet having no iPhone :( but working on
this ...

-- Mario
From: Pascal Costanza
__mario__ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tried it on c.l.s wihtout any response. Maybe there is any common lisp
> implementation which implements futures or a similar constructs. I know
> about the multilisp impl but I'm wondering if it was ever implemented in
> a recent version of cl.

A PhD student at our lab is implementing a model for distributed
programming on top of Common Lisp that includes futures. However, I
don't think it will be released soon (it's mostly a research prototype).

However, futures themselves are not too hard to implement, as long as
you have some reliable low-level APIs for distributed programming.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: John Thingstad
P� Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:43:18 +0200, skrev __mario__ <········@yahoo.de>:

> Hi,
>
> tried it on c.l.s wihtout any response. Maybe there is any common lisp
> implementation which implements futures or a similar constructs. I know
> about the multilisp impl but I'm wondering if it was ever implemented in
> a recent version of cl.
>
> Thanks
>
> -- Mario

I've been playing with these new distributed programming concepts in Oz.
Oz 'threads' are data-flow driven. (Something for Kenny to look at
perhaps?)
The commercial Lisp's seem to rely on CORBA or DCOM and I have yet to see
anything like this in Lisp.

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Alex Mizrahi
 JT> I've been playing with these new distributed programming concepts in
 JT> Oz. Oz 'threads' are data-flow driven. (Something for Kenny to look at
 JT> perhaps?)

there is distributed computing stuff in E programming language:

http://wiki.erights.org/wiki/Walnut/Distributed_Computing

 JT> The commercial Lisp's seem to rely on CORBA or DCOM and I have yet to
 JT> see  anything like this in Lisp.

there is some E in Common Lisp implementation:

http://homepage.mac.com/kpreid/elang/e-on-cl/