From: jra
Subject: vbz Portable AllegroServe gray-streams external-format
I'm very new to Lisp, asdf, and aserve so this is probably a very
simple problem. After I asdf:install aserve, I run aserve's
INSTALL.lisp and get the following:

; compiling (DEFCLASS VHOST ...)
; compiling (DEFMETHOD PRINT-OBJECT ...)
; compiling (DEFMACRO WITH-HTTP-RESPONSE ...); compilation aborted
because of fatal error:
;   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
;     SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 17883 (line 574, column
41) on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/usr/local/lib/sbcl/site/portableaserve-1.2.47-vbz-0.1.4/aserve/
main.cl"
{11D4A731}>:
;       Symbol "EXTERNAL-FORMAT" not found in the GRAY-STREAM package.
; compilation aborted after 0:00:00

My operating environment:
Mac OS X 10.5.4
sbcl 1.0.19
portableaserve-1.2.47-vbz-0.1.4

I have these packages:
acl-compat
htmlgen
cl-ppcre-2.0.0
puri-1.5.1
cl-unicode-0.1.1
flexi-streams-1.0.7
trivial-gray-streams-2006-09-16

Some probably useless observations:
It looks like an issue with gray-stream:external-format; I have almost
no idea what this is about or how to fix it.
All instances of gray-stream:external-format in aserve/main.cl are
preceded by #+sb-unicode.

Thanks for any help,
Jason
From: Kenny
jra wrote:
> I'm very new to Lisp, asdf, and aserve so this is probably a very
> simple problem. After I asdf:install aserve, I run aserve's
> INSTALL.lisp and get the following:

> ; compiling (DEFCLASS VHOST ...)
> ; compiling (DEFMETHOD PRINT-OBJECT ...)
> ; compiling (DEFMACRO WITH-HTTP-RESPONSE ...); compilation aborted
> because of fatal error:
> ;   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
> ;     SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 17883 (line 574, column
> 41) on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
> /usr/local/lib/sbcl/site/portableaserve-1.2.47-vbz-0.1.4/aserve/
> main.cl"
> {11D4A731}>:
> ;       Symbol "EXTERNAL-FORMAT" not found in the GRAY-STREAM package.
> ; compilation aborted after 0:00:00
>

> My operating environment:
> Mac OS X 10.5.4
> sbcl 1.0.19
> portableaserve-1.2.47-vbz-0.1.4
>
> I have these packages:
> acl-compat
> htmlgen
> cl-ppcre-2.0.0
> puri-1.5.1
> cl-unicode-0.1.1
> flexi-streams-1.0.7
> trivial-gray-streams-2006-09-16
>
> Some probably useless observations:
> It looks like an issue with gray-stream:external-format; I have almost
> no idea what this is about or how to fix it.
> All instances of gray-stream:external-format in aserve/main.cl are
> preceded by #+sb-unicode.
>
> Thanks for any help,

I think folks nowadays prefer Hunchentoot for opensource Lisp web
server. Built nicely once I collected all the dependencies.

kt