From: Tamas K Papp
Subject: Re: Slow Loop (alternatives in lisp?)
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:42:02 -0700, Francogrex wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to imitate the behaviour of the pivot-table in excel

Besides what others said: I would recommend that you start reading an
intro book.  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ is a very good one, for
example.  You would benefit more from the comments - right now your code
is so un-lispy that incremental criticism probably helps very little.

Tamas

From: Grant Rettke
On Aug 16, 9:55 am, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> right now your code is so un-lispy that incremental criticism probably helps very little.

Well, it is written in Lisp, so how can it be un-lispy? :)

I think that *I* know what you mean, but you can't expect someone who
is writing un-lispy code to know what you mean.

So, what do you mean?
From: Tamas K Papp
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:12:20 -0700, Grant Rettke wrote:

> On Aug 16, 9:55 am, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> right now your code is so un-lispy that incremental criticism probably
>> helps very little.
>
> Well, it is written in Lisp, so how can it be un-lispy? :)
>
> I think that *I* know what you mean, but you can't expect someone who is
> writing un-lispy code to know what you mean.
>
> So, what do you mean?

I think that others explained that in detail above.

All I meant that OP was not using Lisp idiomatically - which is OK, I am
sure he will learn it in time.  But foundations are important - what I
would do in his place is read some of the initial chapters of PCL, then
come back and look at the comments he got for his code snippet.

Tamas
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:12:20 -0700, Grant Rettke wrote:
>
>> On Aug 16, 9:55�am, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> right now your code is so un-lispy that incremental criticism probably
>>> helps very little.
>>
>> Well, it is written in Lisp, so how can it be un-lispy? :)
>>
>> I think that *I* know what you mean, but you can't expect someone who is
>> writing un-lispy code to know what you mean.
>>
>> So, what do you mean?
>
> I think that others explained that in detail above.
>
> All I meant that OP was not using Lisp idiomatically - which is OK, I am
> sure he will learn it in time.  But foundations are important - what I
> would do in his place is read some of the initial chapters of PCL, then
> come back and look at the comments he got for his code snippet.

Perhaps idiomatic usage would be to use vectors for a vector based
algorithm, and lists for a list based algorithm?

"You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you
stand!"