From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting with LISP. Help!
On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 15:01 -0700, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Lispers!
> I just started with LISP today. So far, I like what I'm seeing :) Only
> problem is, I have no clue how to save in LISP.
> I'm using GNU CLISP 2.45 (downloaded from source-forge) on windows
> 2000. I'm currently downloading ABLE right now. I'm reading "Practical
> Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
> limitations.
>
> I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
> other computers?

Hi,
I've given up on "GUI programming" (note: regardless of language) and
I'm working on a GUI type API for the browser instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymbolicWeb
http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb

Using the browser for rendering is nice IMHO. You've got networking
built in already and you don't have to write custom client or server
code, and _everyone_ has a browser installed(#1) and knows how to use it
so the audience is much wider.

About deployment:

* It's easy to get hold of a cheap, old PC and install Linux on it and
hook it up to the home network and further, perhaps, the Internet.

* If you don't have continuous access to the Internet and thus can't run
an always on server yourself, I can offer access to a Linux server for
free if you behave. :P

* If you need offline access to you application and your user is running
Win32; I hear coLinux + SBCL works. But there are probably better
options out there if you need to do this. Ltk perhaps.

#1: but for now i've only covered IE and FF fully though ..
safari/web-kit and/or opera is next

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/