From: Robert
Subject: Job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers?
How good is the job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers? Does it
pay fairly well? Are there jobs in Boston and Chicago?

I do suspect that salaries for SAS are being held down by high levels
of immigration and offshoring.

From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers?
On Aug 14, 1:00 pm, Robert <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> How good is the job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers? Does it
> pay fairly well? Are there jobs in Boston and Chicago?
>
> I do suspect that salaries for SAS are being held down by high levels
> of immigration and offshoring.

LOL. Are you a noob?

The jobs for Lisp or Haskell is doing well. They are in the same
league as having a literature, art, history, anthropology, or
entomology degree, or being a expert in juggling, piano playing,
dancing.

We all hang out here to discuss the deepest problems of humanity.
Kenny is our current president.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: namekuseijin
On 14 ago, 17:21, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> The jobs for Lisp or Haskell is doing well. They are in the same
> league as having a literature, art, history, anthropology, or
> entomology degree, or being a expert in juggling, piano playing,
> dancing.

LOL.  true...

> We all hang out here to discuss the deepest problems of humanity.
> Kenny is our current president.

And Xah is our Jester. :)
From: Sacha
······@gmail.com wrote:
> We all hang out here to discuss the deepest problems of humanity.
> Kenny is our current president.

Hey ! I didn't vote for Kenny... He's the one with the algebra software,
I'd rather have him count the votes.

Sacha
From: Kenny
Sacha wrote:
> ······@gmail.com wrote:
>> We all hang out here to discuss the deepest problems of humanity.
>> Kenny is our current president.
>
> Hey ! I didn't vote for Kenny... He's the one with the algebra software,
> I'd rather have him count the votes.

His Kennyness as bookkeeper? puh-leeze!

I am holding out for Roi du Coeur, and if you have not seen the movie,
run don't walk. It would be insanely appropriate for an NG where Kenny,
Xah, and Jon predominate and all the sane Lispers have left town.

kt

--

$$$$$: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
BSlog: http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
From: Jon Harrop
Robert wrote:
> How good is the job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers?

Here in the UK:

  http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/lisp.do
  http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/haskell.do

Average salaries:

Lisp:    �57k
Haskell: �62k

Both are rising.

The number of job ads mentioning "Haskell" and "Lisp" are not significantly
different. However, jobs mentioning "Haskell" are rarely trying to fill
actual Haskell programming positions but, rather, just trying to
differentiate between applicants for Java/C# jobs. Haskell is also used as
a homonym in this context.

> Does it pay fairly well?

I would say so.

However, you may be interested in my "Haskell's virginity" article that
quantifies Haskell's success in the real world compared to OCaml's:

  http://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/haskells-virginity.html

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u
From: tortoise
On Aug 14, 1:00 pm, Robert <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> How good is the job market for Lisp and Haskell programmers? Does it
> pay fairly well? Are there jobs in Boston and Chicago?
>
> I do suspect that salaries for SAS are being held down by high levels
> of immigration and offshoring.

I read your list via google interface and there are job ads in the
right hand margin. Right now all I see is one Scheme, it says in NYC.
But I have seen Lisp before.

I have heard that people often want
"Lisp Programmers" more for their depth of thinking and for
development
skills more than Lisp per se, right ? Be prepared for your great
design to be rewritten in C++ (the parts they understand at least) and
to train underlings in translation ?