From: ·······@gmail.com
Subject: SF/Silicon Valley meetups?
Are there ever any meetings in the bay area?

-p

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: SF/Silicon Valley meetups?
·······@gmail.com <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

Plus, for a while we were experimenting with a "Peninsula Subclass"
of Bay Area Lispniks meeting every third Tuesday, but it sort of
tapered off into nothingness. [First 14 people, then 6, 1, 3, 0...]

Oh, what the heck?!? Let's try one more time. [Scott? Zach? You guys game?]

On August 19th at 7:30pm, folks are once again invited to participate
in the experiment-in-progress of a regular monthly [every 3rd Tuesday]
Lispniks dinner meeting at Suraj Indian Cuisine in Redwood City.[1]
All interested in Lisp -- which includes Common Lisp, Scheme, Arc,
etc. -- are welcome to join us.

Use <http://rpw3.org/events/2008/08/19/lispniks/> to RSVP [though that's
not really necessary -- I'll just go ahead and make a reservation].

-Rob

[1] http://surajrestaurant.com/
    Note that they've recently opened a branch called "Suraj Restaurant"
    in Milpitas. The original Redwood City location is now (well, always
    was, really) called "Suraj Indian Cuisine". For directions, see:
    http://surajrestaurant.com/contact_rwc.htm

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: ······@gmail.com
On Aug 15, 6:28 am, ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> ·······@gmail.com <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plus, for a while we were experimenting with a "Peninsula Subclass"
> of Bay Area Lispniks meeting every third Tuesday, but it sort of
> tapered off into nothingness. [First 14 people, then 6, 1, 3, 0...]
>
> Oh, what the heck?!? Let's try one more time. [Scott? Zach? You guys game?]
>
> On August 19th at 7:30pm, folks are once again invited to participate
> in the experiment-in-progress of a regular monthly [every 3rd Tuesday]
> Lispniks dinner meeting at Suraj Indian Cuisine in Redwood City.[1]
> All interested in Lisp -- which includes Common Lisp, Scheme, Arc,
> etc. -- are welcome to join us.
>
> Use <http://rpw3.org/events/2008/08/19/lispniks/> to RSVP [though that's
> not really necessary -- I'll just go ahead and make a reservation].
>
> -Rob
>
> [1]http://surajrestaurant.com/
>     Note that they've recently opened a branch called "Suraj Restaurant"
>     in Milpitas. The original Redwood City location is now (well, always
>     was, really) called "Suraj Indian Cuisine". For directions, see:
>    http://surajrestaurant.com/contact_rwc.htm

> All interested in Lisp -- which includes Common Lisp, Scheme, Arc,
> etc. -- are welcome to join us.

Are Emac Lispers welcome? I felt left out.

How about NewLisp and Mathematica programers? I don't want Common
Lispers dominating the table when we cut the pie.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: tortoise
On Aug 15, 6:28 am, ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
> ·······@gmail.com <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plus, for a while we were experimenting with a "Peninsula Subclass"
> of Bay Area Lispniks meeting every third Tuesday, but it sort of
> tapered off into nothingness. [First 14 people, then 6, 1, 3, 0...]
>
> Oh, what the heck?!? Let's try one more time. [Scott? Zach? You guys game?]
>
> On August 19th at 7:30pm, folks are once again invited to participate
> in the experiment-in-progress of a regular monthly [every 3rd Tuesday]
> Lispniks dinner meeting at Suraj Indian Cuisine in Redwood City.[1]
> All interested in Lisp -- which includes Common Lisp, Scheme, Arc,
> etc. -- are welcome to join us.
>
> Use <http://rpw3.org/events/2008/08/19/lispniks/> to RSVP [though that's
> not really necessary -- I'll just go ahead and make a reservation].
>
> -Rob
>
> [1]http://surajrestaurant.com/
>     Note that they've recently opened a branch called "Suraj Restaurant"
>     in Milpitas. The original Redwood City location is now (well, always
>     was, really) called "Suraj Indian Cuisine". For directions, see:
>    http://surajrestaurant.com/contact_rwc.htm
>
> -----
> Rob Warnock                     <····@rpw3.org>
> 627 26th Avenue                 <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
> San Mateo, CA 94403             (650)572-2607

please note that this particular time conflicts with BALUG meeting in
SF.
They have some pretty excellent speakers lined up. Today is the
guy in charge of open source code at google.

BTW there is a new search engine that has some innovativeness that
google lacks. It is from Powerset which is a small co. in SF, they
have a natural language generalized search interface for wikipedia.
It can be used on top of google also. They use Ruby and Java there.
(so Java is not dead either).
From: tortoise
On Aug 14, 3:42 am, ········@gmail.com" <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there ever any meetings in the bay area?
>
> -p

I would like to see some newbies meeting in San Francisco,
where I live.

I like old macs, I use powerlisp and xlisp and
openmcl and ecl so far and a little slime.
I have sbcl installed in linux but haven't used
it much. I have slime setup on osX and linux.

I have the slime movie, thanks for posting the url on this
list. Its very good !.

I have paul graham's second book in old mac os and in linux
and have tried out some examples up to about page 100.

Would be interest in discussing that book or his earlier one,
or *simple* examples.

Have been losing motivation recently, it might help to have
some sort of study group. I am scientist, I am not too interested
in socializings.
From: Juanjo
On Aug 17, 7:53 am, tortoise <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like old macs, I use powerlisp and xlisp and
> openmcl and ecl so far and a little slime.

I am happy to read about another ECL user but...

> I am scientist, I am not too interested in socializings.

being a scientist myself, I would not say both things are
incompatible.

Sorry I could not help commenting this :-)

Juanjo
From: tortoise
On Aug 18, 3:20 pm, Juanjo <·····················@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On Aug 17, 7:53 am, tortoise <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I like old macs, I use powerlisp and xlisp and
> > openmcl and ecl so far and a little slime.
>
> I am happy to read about another ECL user but...
>
> > I am scientist, I am not too interested in socializings.
>
> being a scientist myself, I would not say both things are
> incompatible.
>
> Sorry I could not help commenting this :-)
>
> Juanjo

I meant, I am looking for motivations/ support to study.

No, not at all incompatible. But Lisp is something I have
a little time for now which I didn't before.

I would really like to use Lisp in my current project but have
to work harder initially. As a matter of fact I think it is
long past time I learned Lisp ... that
was my thought when I was given a free text a while back.

Programming is not my best talent, but maybe studying Lisp
could help that. Maybe it already has, but I am not programming
in Lisp yet which is probably a big loss for me.

I don't want to get lost in technical details or specifics to much
and/ or philosophizing. Neither of those are my best skills either.

Mostly I want a nice way to talk to the computer ... most other
languages have seemed rather confining.

------------

You may think I have given a long list of weaknesses and nothing
to my credit (which is true) but also I have found that
socializing can be easier or better if there is something
going on. Some smart people near where I live have a game
club, but this study thing is just more direct.

My idea was for something like a writers workshop applied to
programming. What goes on in those things is some topic
is chosen perhaps and everyone has to participate and withhold
judgement about other members perspectives/opinions/values
(that is the price you pay for the support), and given that
share some examples of your own work with the others and/or
work you value and expect to improve your skills.

That is maybe socializing more but not so abstract as dinner
meetings because you have something to focus on. When I
was actually in a writers group we would go out to eat after
sometimes.

Maybe if there is time anyone in SF could meet before the
dinner hour at some cafe after work hours though like 5:30 to 7.
That's my suggestion.

Maybe it shouldn't be trying to saying newbies either as there
would be few enough people interested. Just basics. Like, I like
Paul Graham's books for two reasons: a) he really knew the
language well early in his career b) his excellent writing
skill. Forget about cult of webapps $$$$$$$$$$$...