From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Hi! Starting with LISP. Help!
Hi Lispers!
I just started with LISP today. So far, I like what I'm seeing :) Only
problem is, I have no clue how to save in LISP.
I'm using GNU CLISP 2.45 (downloaded from source-forge) on windows
2000. I'm currently downloading ABLE right now. I'm reading "Practical
Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
limitations.

I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
other computers?

I'm still in Chapter 2, so sorry if the questions don't make sense.

From: K Livingston
Subject: Re: Hi! Starting with LISP. Help!
On Aug 13, 5:01 pm, ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Lispers!
> I just started with LISP today. So far, I like what I'm seeing :) Only
> problem is, I have no clue how to save in LISP.
> I'm using GNU CLISP 2.45 (downloaded from source-forge) on windows
> 2000. I'm currently downloading ABLE right now. I'm reading "Practical
> Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
> limitations.
>
> I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
> other computers?
>
> I'm still in Chapter 2, so sorry if the questions don't make sense.

From your post I'm assuming you're programming directly into the REPL,
which for fiddling is (sometimes) fine, but not the way to go long
run.

You'll want to edit files in an editor and then load and compile them
with (LOAD) and (COMPILE) - a good IDE will make that a lot easier for
you.

Franz's Allegro and LispWorks both have trial versions available that
you can download that have good IDEs (and lots of documentation).  May
be more friendly to start if you are used to something like Eclipse.

I prefer using Slime to integrate (X)Emacs with my lisp, but that can
add a layer of complexity, but a lot of features too.  (a great way to
go in the long run - I use Allegro under the hood with Emacs/Slime,
but still use the Allegro GUI for trace output, and sometimes for
inspect)

For many the REPL is where you turn to test and debug code, but it's a
rare day that I type "(defun" into it.

Although, for pedagogical, or other reasons, if you want to record
your interactions with the REPL, check out the (DRIBBLE) function.

Kevin
From: Thomas A. Russ
·········@gmail.com writes:

> I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
> other computers?

Both of these depend on the particular implementation and platform.

There is some work on providing some platform-independent graphics
capabilities, such as OpenGL or TK-based interfaces.  The latter
goes under the name of LTK.

Look at
  http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-opengl/
  http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/

Also as a general resource there is the Common Lisp Directory project,
which is a set of links describing various libraries available for
Common Lisp.

  http://www.cl-user.net/asp/root-dir

Also

  http://www.cliki.net/index

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
·········@gmail.com writes:

> Hi Lispers!
> I just started with LISP today. So far, I like what I'm seeing :) Only
> problem is, I have no clue how to save in LISP.

Well, normally you would edit your lisp sources in an editor such as
emacs, and save them as text file in the host file system.

> I'm using GNU CLISP 2.45 (downloaded from source-forge) on windows
> 2000. I'm currently downloading ABLE right now. I'm reading "Practical
> Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
> limitations.
>
> I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> graphics or GUI?

Yes.  There are several different ways to do that.

http://www.cliki.net/admin/search?words=gui

> How can I package a fully made program usable on
> other computers?

It's possible.  But don't mind that right now.  First learn the
language, and the lisp way of life.

> I'm still in Chapter 2, so sorry if the questions don't make sense.

ADVISORY: There is an extremely small but nonzero chance that,
through a process known as "tunneling," this product may
spontaneously disappear from its present location and reappear at
any random place in the universe, including your neighbor's
domicile. The manufacturer will not be responsible for any damages
or inconveniences that may result.
From: Andrew Main
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm reading "Practical
> Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
> limitations.
>
> I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
> other computers?
>
> I'm still in Chapter 2, so sorry if the questions don't make sense.

Pratical Common Lisp covers finding libraries and delivring apps in chaper 32.
There is no GUI defined in the spec (possibly a good thing, it was written in
the 1980s), so look for a good cross platform library, and/or read up on what
your implementation offers.
From: ·········@gmail.com
On Aug 13, 9:17 pm, Andrew Main <···········@caverock.net.nz> wrote:
> ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm reading "Practical
> > Common Lisp", but not following all the downloads exactly due to speed
> > limitations.
>
> > I've been programming in Java for the last two years. Looking at Java
> > and LISP, a quick question on capabilities. Does LISP support any
> > graphics or GUI? How can I package a fully made program usable on
> > other computers?
>
> > I'm still in Chapter 2, so sorry if the questions don't make sense.
>
> Pratical Common Lisp covers finding libraries and delivring apps in chaper 32.
> There is no GUI defined in the spec (possibly a good thing, it was written in
> the 1980s), so look for a good cross platform library, and/or read up on what
> your implementation offers.

CL-USER> (format t "Thanks!")