From: Kenny
Subject: When I get rich off Algebra...
...I am funding the A-Prize, $1k to find a worse piece of software than
ASDF.

hth, kenny

ps. yes, I just found another bug. k

--

$$$$$: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
BSlog: http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/

From: Scott Burson
Subject: Re: When I get rich off Algebra...
On Aug 12, 10:34 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I am funding the A-Prize, $1k to find a worse piece of software than
> ASDF.
>
> hth, kenny
>
> ps. yes, I just found another bug. k

The maintainers don't seem to care much.  I submitted a patch almost
three years ago, and never even got a reply to my offer to assist with
maintenance.

This project is crying out to be forked.

Feel free to send me your bug reports.  I'm not promising I'll fork
it, but I get the urge occasionally.

-- Scott
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Scott Burson <········@gmail.com> writes:

> The maintainers don't seem to care much.  I submitted a patch almost
> three years ago, and never even got a reply to my offer to assist with
> maintenance.

Maintainship has recently been taken up by Gary King. If the issue that
your patch addressed is still valid, bringing it up to date, and
resending it may be a good idea.

  -T.
From: Scott Burson
On Aug 13, 12:34 am, "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <····@freebits.de.invalid>
wrote:
> Maintainship has recently been taken up by Gary King.

Good news!  Thanks.

-- Scott
From: Dan Weinreb
On Aug 13, 2:07 am, Scott Burson <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 10:34 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...I am funding the A-Prize, $1k to find a worse piece of software than
> > ASDF.
>
> > hth, kenny
>
> > ps. yes, I just found another bug. k
>
> The maintainers don't seem to care much.  I submitted a patch almost
> three years ago, and never even got a reply to my offer to assist with
> maintenance.
>
> This project is crying out to be forked.
>
> Feel free to send me your bug reports.  I'm not promising I'll fork
> it, but I get the urge occasionally.
>
> -- Scott

Me too.  I wrote them a unit test to make sure that the toplogical
sort continues to work, in case any changes are made.  They paid me no
attention at all.  I'm glad to hear there's a new maintainer, and
maybe I can scare up that unit test again and resubmit it.
From: namekuseijin
On Aug 13, 2:34 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ps. yes, I just found another bug. k

Good.  Hope you're reporting them or submitting patches.

From the source in:
http://cclan.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/cclan/asdf/asdf.lisp

";;; Feedback, bug reports, and patches are all welcome: please mail
;;; <··········@lists.sf.net>.  But note first that the canonical
;;; source for asdf is presently the cCLan CVS repository at
;;; <URL:http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cclan/asdf/>
;;;
;;; If you obtained this copy from anywhere else, and you experience
;;; trouble using it, or find bugs, you may want to check at the
;;; location above for a more recent version (and for documentation
;;; and test files, if your copy came without them) before reporting
;;; bugs."
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2:34 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ps. yes, I just found another bug. k
>
> Good.  Hope you're reporting them or submitting patches.
>
> From the source in:
> http://cclan.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/cclan/asdf/asdf.lisp
>
> ";;; Feedback, bug reports, and patches are all welcome: please mail
> ;;; <··········@lists.sf.net>.  But note first that the canonical
> ;;; source for asdf is presently the cCLan CVS repository at
> ;;; <URL:http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cclan/asdf/>
> ;;;
> ;;; If you obtained this copy from anywhere else, and you experience
> ;;; trouble using it, or find bugs, you may want to check at the
> ;;; location above for a more recent version (and for documentation
> ;;; and test files, if your copy came without them) before reporting
> ;;; bugs."

Lord, no, because (to Scot) this hack does not need a fork, it needs a
knife. Between the third and fourth ribs. It is a bad piece of work all
the way through, from interface to functionality to error reporting to
implementation. If an alpha yobbo had not written it it would have been
laughed out of town.

Improve it? Fix it? That means "keep it". No no no no no.

(Cue Marco.)

kt

From: Marco Antoniotti
On Aug 13, 1:34 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I am funding the A-Prize, $1k to find a worse piece of software than
> ASDF.

MK:DEFSYSTEM ? (Yes, I am maintaining it, although I am slow in
responding as well :) the CVS version is probably the most up to date
right now).

Cheers

Marco

PS.  I ask forgiveness to MK for this post :)

From: Kaz Kylheku
> Subject: Re: When I get rich off Algebra...

If Kenny had three times as many dollars as he does, less seven, he would have
five dollars. How much money does Kenny have?

> ...I am funding the A-Prize, $1k to find a worse piece of software than
> ASDF.

The next revision of ASDF?
From: George Neuner
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 05:43:38 +0000 (UTC), Kaz Kylheku
<········@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2008-08-13, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: When I get rich off Algebra...
>
>If Kenny had three times as many dollars as he does, less seven, he would have
>five dollars. How much money does Kenny have?

9996 less than the 1K prize.

George
From: George Neuner
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:26:31 -0400, George Neuner
<········@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 05:43:38 +0000 (UTC), Kaz Kylheku
><········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2008-08-13, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Subject: Re: When I get rich off Algebra...
>>
>>If Kenny had three times as many dollars as he does, less seven, he would have
>>five dollars. How much money does Kenny have?
>
>9996 less than the 1K prize.

That should of course be 996 or Kenny can offer a 10K prize.

George