From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: CLIM for mousephobics
Hi *,

I'm currently having a first glance at CLIM (mcclim with sbcl to be more
precise) and I really like many of the philosophy and features I see --
with one exception: some of the really nice features, like the
"Possibilities" List in an interactor pane are only available using the
mouse.  Or are they?  This is my question, are there any default keyboard
shortcuts for the pointer actions like LMR buttons or jumping from one
active element to the next?

I have asked google and hat a quick search though some CLIM/CLIM2
documentation but didn't find any information on this topic.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

"There is no reason why anyone would want a computer in their home"
Ken Olson, DEC, 1977

From: Paul Donnelly
Subject: Re: CLIM for mousephobics
Sascha Wilde <·····@sha-bang.de> writes:

> Hi *,
>
> I'm currently having a first glance at CLIM (mcclim with sbcl to be more
> precise) and I really like many of the philosophy and features I see --
> with one exception: some of the really nice features, like the
> "Possibilities" List in an interactor pane are only available using the
> mouse.  Or are they?  This is my question, are there any default keyboard
> shortcuts for the pointer actions like LMR buttons or jumping from one
> active element to the next?

Mousophobia? That seems like a fear it's better to face down.
From: Robert Uhl
Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Mousophobia? That seems like a fear it's better to face down.

When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.

Nathan Wagner quotes an instructor in law school:
> Instructor: Windows helps the computer run.
Juergen Nieveler responds: Of course, the same way that dobermans
help people to run.  Away from them...
From: Paul Donnelly
Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>
>> Mousophobia? That seems like a fear it's better to face down.
>
> When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.

When CLIM apps run in the terminal, maybe I'll be wrong. ;)
From: Robert Uhl
Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:
>
>> Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>>
>>> Mousophobia? That seems like a fear it's better to face down.
>>
>> When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.
>
> When CLIM apps run in the terminal, maybe I'll be wrong. ;)

Which is why I don't use CLIM--although I'll admit to having heard some
rumours that it's at least conceptually possible.

GUIs are nice window-dressing, but for real work one needs text.
Really, I think the only reason I don't run everything in a console is
that it's nice to browse the web in a GUI--everything else I do is
text-based.

[November] ...Abroad, unemployed ghetto youths in France go on a
weeks-long rampage, burning thousands of cars to express their view that
being an unemployed French ghetto youth sucks.  Outraged, French
President Jacuqes Chirac announces that, as a precautionary move, he is
relocating the army to Belgium...     --Dave Barry, 2005 Year in Review
From: Paul Donnelly
Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

>>> When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.
>>
>> When CLIM apps run in the terminal, maybe I'll be wrong. ;)
>
> Which is why I don't use CLIM--although I'll admit to having heard some
> rumours that it's at least conceptually possible.
>
> GUIs are nice window-dressing, but for real work one needs text.
> Really, I think the only reason I don't run everything in a console is
> that it's nice to browse the web in a GUI--everything else I do is
> text-based.

Well, I agree to some unspecified extent. Give a designer a mouse, and
he'll design seven new circles of Hell for you. I don't blame that on
the poor rodent though.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@latakia.octopodial-chrome.com>,
 Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> >> When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.
> >
> > When CLIM apps run in the terminal, maybe I'll be wrong. ;)
>
> Which is why I don't use CLIM--although I'll admit to having heard some
> rumours that it's at least conceptually possible.
>
> GUIs are nice window-dressing, but for real work one needs text.
> Really, I think the only reason I don't run everything in a console is
> that it's nice to browse the web in a GUI--everything else I do is
> text-based.

One of the ideas of CLIM is that it makes all text (and graphics)
browsable like the web. Why stop with 'documentation'? All your Lisp
objects will be hyperlinked. CLIM makes it possible to
work with Lisp objects and not just 'text'. You can
enter text at prompts, but you can also use active objects.
CLIM enables interesting user interfaces which can be
a mix of text-based and graphics-based - the balance
between both can be arbitrary.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Aug 12, 10:05 pm, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > Mousophobia? That seems like a fear it's better to face down.
>
> When SSH supports the mouse, maybe you'll be right.

It does of course, if you tunnel a graphics protocol through it. X11
for example. Or if that's to ugly/unreactive, you could try ltk-
remote, which tunnels just fine and looks reasonable on the local
system. Porting McCLIM to Ltk is a different question.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@mid.individual.net>,
 Sascha Wilde <·····@sha-bang.de> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I'm currently having a first glance at CLIM (mcclim with sbcl to be more
> precise) and I really like many of the philosophy and features I see --
> with one exception: some of the really nice features, like the
> "Possibilities" List in an interactor pane are only available using the
> mouse.  Or are they?  This is my question, are there any default keyboard
> shortcuts for the pointer actions like LMR buttons or jumping from one
> active element to the next?
>
> I have asked google and hat a quick search though some CLIM/CLIM2
> documentation but didn't find any information on this topic.
>
> cheers
> sascha

Don't know about CLIM just right now, but in DW (Dynamic Windows)
using an interactor
c-? gets the possibilities starting with some string and
c-/ gets the possibilities where the items contain some string.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Sascha Wilde
Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article <··············@mid.individual.net>,
>  Sascha Wilde <·····@sha-bang.de> wrote:
>> I'm currently having a first glance at CLIM (mcclim with sbcl to be more
>> precise) and I really like many of the philosophy and features I see --
>> with one exception: some of the really nice features, like the
>> "Possibilities" List in an interactor pane are only available using the
>> mouse.  Or are they?  This is my question, are there any default keyboard
>> shortcuts for the pointer actions like LMR buttons or jumping from one
>> active element to the next?
[...]
> Don't know about CLIM just right now, but in DW (Dynamic Windows)
> using an interactor
> c-? gets the possibilities starting with some string and
> c-/ gets the possibilities where the items contain some string.

c-? is unbound but c-/ works with an mcclim interactor out of the box.
So I'm optimistic there are default key bindings for other tasks like
selectin embeded input fields for input etc., too.

Thank you!

sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Real programmers don't want "what you see is what you get", they want