From: Alex Mizrahi
Subject: Re: Lisp at work
 F> a try in lisp and honest to god, I could solve it with a little prog
 F> within a few hours.
 F>  I showed the results to the boss in a meeting but some of my collegues
 F> started jumping up and down saying that Lisp is not a validated system
 F> in our firm and we'll have to do it in X software (commercial name
 F> omitted to avoid slander) because X is great it's validated and
 F> controlled etc...the boss unfortunately agreed with them. It's been 2
 F> weeks today that they've been mucking around in X and haven't found
 F> anything that comes close to what I wrote in lisp...

something says me problem is not in a programming language.. of course
it might be easier to do stuff in dynamic language like Lisp, but even with
friggin Visual Basic it would be only 10 times slower, but not more. maybe
they just do not know algorithm? or that X thing is totally inadequate?

 F> the boss unfortunately agreed with them.

he might change his mind after 2 weeks..

if he doesn't, after all you can write sort of compiler from Lisp to X and
convert your solution to that friggin X. that could be both interesting and
helpful..

 F> validated and controlled

i wonder what it means.. i've heard some companies prefer standartized
languages because it means less chances for vendor lock-in and portability.
but CL is quite standartized, it seems. did they get some sort of guarantee
from software vendor or something?