From: Kenny
Subject: "beta" is a reach, but....
...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
the (Windows) public: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.

kt

ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(

From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: "beta" is a reach, but....
On Aug 2, 7:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

Thanks, but my good old W2K doesn't like to start it up (but I could
admire the splash screen!).
(The error was a missing entry point in kernel32.dll.)

Now my question: Do you downgrade or do I upgrade?

-PM
From: Kenny
········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Thanks, but my good old W2K doesn't like to start it up

bummer.

  (but I could
> admire the splash screen!).

Thx! Isn't that perty?
> (The error was a missing entry point in kernel32.dll.)
>
> Now my question: Do you downgrade or do I upgrade?

I'll be working on hints and adding more Algebra and greater variety in
the random problems for a while, I am afraid, but thx for trying.

kt
From: Joshua Taylor
On Aug 2, 1:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
> kt
>
> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(

I read the history bit about Theory X and Theory Y, but is there some
connection with the YMCA too?

http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/images/concrete_bd2.jpg
http://redbrickblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ymca.jpg

(I did a quick search through the group archives, and on Google, but
didn't find any mention of this. Surely it's come up before?)

//JT
From: Kenny
Joshua Taylor wrote:
> On Aug 2, 1:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
>> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(
>
> I read the history bit about Theory X and Theory Y, but is there some
> connection with the YMCA too?
>
> http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/images/concrete_bd2.jpg
> http://redbrickblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ymca.jpg
>
> (I did a quick search through the group archives, and on Google, but
> didn't find any mention of this. Surely it's come up before?)

It rings a bell, but my Y is nothing but an uppercase Y in the
braggadocio font, not really a logo. We /were/ in intense negotiations
with The Village People, but now the name is changing to Stuck On!
Algebra (not sure where the exclamation mark ends up, but the splash
screen (coming soon to a web site near you) has it as Stuck On! in one
font and color and Algebra in another and it looks coolio so I think the
bang goes with the Stuck On.

kt
From: Joost Kremers
Kenny wrote:
> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

i don't know if you're building the website yourself, but it doesn't render
very well on my firefox (2.0.0.16, running on slackware linux). a
screenshot to show how it looks:

<http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/theoryalgebra.png>

i have a wide screen and a maximised firefox window, causing the background
image to be visible twice. more problematically, the text doesn't render
well: there appear to be hard-coded line breaks and hard-coded text
positions, which wreak havoc given my rather large default font size
(16pt). decreasing the font size fixes it, but apparently it doesn't choose
the correct font size automatically.

--
Joost Kremers                                      ············@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: namekuseijin
On 2 ago, 08:04, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> > ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> > the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> i don't know if you're building the website yourself, but it doesn't render
> very well on my firefox (2.0.0.16, running on slackware linux). a
> screenshot to show how it looks:
>
> <http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/theoryalgebra.png>

It renders mostly the same in IE and FF on Windows.
Your font is way too big and that does not work nice with CSS
layouts.  Have you tried CTRL-- or CTRL-0?
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> On 2 ago, 08:04, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Kenny wrote:
>>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>> i don't know if you're building the website yourself, but it doesn't render
>> very well on my firefox (2.0.0.16, running on slackware linux). a
>> screenshot to show how it looks:
>>
>> <http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/theoryalgebra.png>
>
> It renders mostly the same in IE and FF on Windows.
> Your font is way too big and that does not work nice with CSS
> layouts.  Have you tried CTRL-- or CTRL-0?

Were you two looking for comp.web.page.graphic.design?

:)

kt
From: Joost Kremers
namekuseijin wrote:
> It renders mostly the same in IE and FF on Windows.
> Your font is way too big

no it's not. large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
read anything at all. i never experience any problems with it, except here.

> and that does not work nice with CSS
> layouts.

the site doesn't have much css. just two font declarations (the size of
which isn't picked up in my case, it seems.)

>  Have you tried CTRL-- or CTRL-0?

yup. like i said, decreasing the font size puts it in order. i just wanted
to let kenny know that for some reason, this doesn't happen automatically,
at least not in my case. it's up to him to decide whether he thinks it
important enough to pursue or not.

--
Joost Kremers                                      ············@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: namekuseijin
On 2 ago, 13:12, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
> large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
> read anything at all.

I'll never really understand this.  Why the need for large monitors
and high resolution in the first place when you end up making fonts
larger to be usable and ocuppying pretty much the same screen estate
as before?...  ok, this is utterly off-topic, as Kenny noted...
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> On 2 ago, 13:12, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
>> read anything at all.
>
> I'll never really understand this.  Why the need for large monitors
> and high resolution in the first place when you end up making fonts
> larger to be usable and ocuppying pretty much the same screen estate
> as before?...  ok, this is utterly off-topic, as Kenny noted...

It wouldn't be comp.lang.lisp if it were any other way! I only posted
here so we could argue for two weeks over the name.

:)

kenny
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2 ago, 13:12, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
>> read anything at all.
>
> I'll never really understand this.  Why the need for large monitors
> and high resolution in the first place when you end up making fonts
> larger to be usable and ocuppying pretty much the same screen estate
> as before?...  ok, this is utterly off-topic, as Kenny noted...

To get higher resolution of course.

At 60 cm, the human eye resolves about 30,000 dpi.  While the screens
display less than that (at least around the foveal area), what is on
screen is very discernable from what is real.  That's the reason why
some people complain about the difference between screen and paper
reading.

Higher resolutions are wanted to put in more details, to get closer to
real world.

In any case, even on my not so high resolution LCD, it doesn't display
right, because of HTML and CSS incompetence.

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: ········@gmail.com
On 2 Ago, 19:14, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Higher resolutions are wanted to put in more details, to get closer to
> real world.

(..so, you silently imply that stupid automagical-calculator-machine
machines, in the long term, should be able to isolate us *definitely*
from the *real* *world* world?)

;)

-PM
From: Joost Kremers
Subject: [OT] screen real estate (was: Re: "beta" is a reach, but....)
namekuseijin wrote:
> On 2 ago, 13:12, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
>> read anything at all.
>
> I'll never really understand this.  Why the need for large monitors
> and high resolution in the first place when you end up making fonts
> larger to be usable and ocuppying pretty much the same screen estate
> as before?...

actually, i do have more screen estate. my emacs frame is 25% higher, and
almost 50% wider than on my old computer, measured by the number of
characters displayed. the larger width means that emacs splits the frame
horizontally so that compilation windows, help windows etc. are placed to
the side, rather than below the text or code i'm working on. That is
especially an advantage, because an output/compilation window doesn't
obscure half of my text.

and even in my browser, the larger fonts don't eat all the extra screen
size.

--
Joost Kremers                                      ············@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: http://public.xdi.org/=pf
On 2 Aug 2008 16:12:21 GMT, Joost Kremers wrote:

> namekuseijin wrote:
>> It renders mostly the same in IE and FF on Windows.
>> Your font is way too big

> no it's not. large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
> read anything at all.

That doesn't make sense.  16pt is 16pt regardless of the size and
resolution of your display.  Unless your monitor is an IMAX screen, or
something, and you're sitting 30 feet away from it, you shouldn't need
to adjust the font size to read it.  Maybe you have your X server
misconfigured, so it doesn't know the correct display resolution?

--
Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
hole in his head.

(setq reply-to
  (concatenate 'string "Paul Foley " "<mycroft" '(··@) "actrix.gen.nz>"))
From: Paul Donnelly
Paul Foley <···@below.invalid> (http://public.xdi.org/=pf) writes:

> On 2 Aug 2008 16:12:21 GMT, Joost Kremers wrote:
>
>> namekuseijin wrote:
>>> It renders mostly the same in IE and FF on Windows.
>>> Your font is way too big
>
>> no it's not. large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
>> read anything at all.
>
> That doesn't make sense.  16pt is 16pt regardless of the size and
> resolution of your display.  Unless your monitor is an IMAX screen, or
> something, and you're sitting 30 feet away from it, you shouldn't need
> to adjust the font size to read it.  Maybe you have your X server
> misconfigured, so it doesn't know the correct display resolution?

A 16pt font on the web? 8pt or 10 pt is more like it, meaning letters
without ascenders or descenders are generally 1/16th of an inch tall
or so. Terrible! Anyhow, please tell us more about his viewing needs.
From: Kenny
Paul Donnelly wrote:
> Paul Foley <···@below.invalid> (http://public.xdi.org/=pf) writes:

>>> no it's not. large monitor, high resolution, need big fonts to be able to
>>> read anything at all.
>> That doesn't make sense.  16pt is 16pt regardless of the size and
>> resolution of your display.  Unless your monitor is an IMAX screen, or
>> something, and you're sitting 30 feet away from it, you shouldn't need
>> to adjust the font size to read it.  Maybe you have your X server
>> misconfigured, so it doesn't know the correct display resolution?
>
> A 16pt font on the web? 8pt or 10 pt is more like it, meaning letters
> without ascenders or descenders are generally 1/16th of an inch tall
> or so. Terrible! Anyhow, please tell us more about his viewing needs.

New improved version now here: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

It does 8, 10, and 16 pt all at the same time.

<sigh>

kenny
From: Paul Donnelly
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Donnelly wrote:
>> Paul Foley <···@below.invalid> (http://public.xdi.org/=pf) writes:

>>> That doesn't make sense.  16pt is 16pt regardless of the size and
>>> resolution of your display.  Unless your monitor is an IMAX screen, or
>>> something, and you're sitting 30 feet away from it, you shouldn't need
>>> to adjust the font size to read it.  Maybe you have your X server
>>> misconfigured, so it doesn't know the correct display resolution?
>>
>> A 16pt font on the web? 8pt or 10 pt is more like it, meaning letters
>> without ascenders or descenders are generally 1/16th of an inch tall
>> or so. Terrible! Anyhow, please tell us more about his viewing needs.
>
> New improved version now here: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> It does 8, 10, and 16 pt all at the same time.
>
> <sigh>
>
> kenny

For the record, I didn't have a problem with your particular font
size. But lots of other fonts on the web are so tiny that I can't
blame a person for enlarging the default.
From: Alessio Stalla
On 2 Ago, 07:38, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
> kt
>
> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(

Bug report! Bug report! :)
Using an Italian keyboard, I can't type the @ sign when registering
the new account. (@ is Ctrl+Alt+ò on an Italian keyboard - ò is
where ; is on an US keyboard. That key combination gives me ò, as if
the Ctrl+Alt combination was ignored). Copying and pasting the @ from
somewhere does not work either... Changing keyboard layout does work,
though.

Hth,
Alessio
From: Kenny
Alessio Stalla wrote:
> On 2 Ago, 07:38, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
>> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(
>
> Bug report! Bug report! :)
> Using an Italian keyboard, I can't type the @ sign when registering
> the new account.  (@ is Ctrl+Alt+� on an Italian keyboard - � is
> where ; is on an US keyboard. That key combination gives me �, as if
> the Ctrl+Alt combination was ignored).

I wonder if /all/ TCL apps have the same problem. I could watch out for
that combo, but then how do I know what sending keyboard I am listening to?

> Copying and pasting the @ from
> somewhere does not work either...

Ah, good point, I should support that.

> Changing keyboard layout does work,
> though.

Sounds like a long way to go. :) Thx for your perserverance.

kt
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
Hi Kenny,

Honestly that's quite heavy distribution (47MB) that requires an
additional install (GraphicsMagick-1.2.5-Q8-windows-dll.exe) and
system-wide changes to the PATH variable.

That's probably okay, but certainly some people might discard trying it
only because of this.

Isn't it possible to bundle GraphicsMagick as part of your distribution
directly (if license allows).

Also one other thing you can do is to use PROCEXP, and put a filter on
what files are readed from your process (your executable). Run the
application for quite a while, gather a good log - and see only what
files are used to - there are couple of .tcl files, two TCL versions -
tcl8.4 and tcl8.5

libsnack.dll is found in three places:

D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra>dir libsnack.dll /s/b
D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\snack\bin\windows\libsnack.dll
D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\tcl8.4\snack2.2\libsnack.dll
D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\tcl8.5\snack2.2\libsnack.dll

There are Thumbs.db everywhere (leftovers from some graphics viewer).

Also some your JPG images are 2048x1500, and probably not compressed
well (do you need the marble one to be that high-quality - try
experimenting with lower settings, until you got one).

Oppps... enough rant :)

But overall good job - The way the formulas are entered is impressive :)

Thanks,
Dimiter "malkia" Stanev,
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
> Also one other thing you can do is to use PROCEXP, and put a filter on
> what files are readed from your process (your executable).

Sorry I meant PROCMON:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

You can make a filter on it (Ctrl+L) to capture only your application
name, and then capture only file operations.
From: Kenny
Dimiter "malkia" Stanev wrote:
> Hi Kenny,
>
> Honestly that's quite heavy distribution (47MB) that requires an
> additional install (GraphicsMagick-1.2.5-Q8-windows-dll.exe) and
> system-wide changes to the PATH variable.
>
> That's probably okay, but certainly some people might discard trying it
> only because of this.
>
> Isn't it possible to bundle GraphicsMagick as part of your distribution
> directly (if license allows).

I sure tried, including moving the entire contents of the GM directory
into my application directory, and nothing short of using the installer
worked. A message to the GM mailing list apparently did not get past the
moderator. I should look for an ordinary comp.* group where it might be
in use, but it is such a product-specific issue.

Herculean measures will have to wait.

> Also one other thing you can do is to use PROCEXP, and put a filter on
> what files are readed from your process (your executable). Run the
> application for quite a while, gather a good log - and see only what
> files are used to - there are couple of .tcl files, two TCL versions -
> tcl8.4 and tcl8.5
>
> libsnack.dll is found in three places:
>
> D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra>dir libsnack.dll /s/b
> D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\snack\bin\windows\libsnack.dll
> D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\tcl8.4\snack2.2\libsnack.dll
> D:\Applications\StuckOnAlgebra\lib\tcl8.5\snack2.2\libsnack.dll

I spent quite a bit of time in trial and error trying to figure out when
Snack stopped working, kinda gave up for the short term. I can probably
knock 25%-35% off the download, and after a while it occurred to me that
my time would be spent better on other things what with broadband and all.

> There are Thumbs.db everywhere (leftovers from some graphics viewer).

14 files for a total of 100k.

> Also some your JPG images are 2048x1500, and probably not compressed
> well (do you need the marble one to be that high-quality - try
> experimenting with lower settings, until you got one).

Hmm, turns out I am not using any of those. That would save 4mb
uncompressed.

> Oppps... enough rant :)
>
> But overall good job - The way the formulas are entered is impressive :)

Thanks! Is that slick or what? It is amazing how much mind-reading is
possible with math notation given conventions like "we type 3x, not x3,
when we want to multiply x by 3". In the C version there was an option
to turn off "smart fractions" if one was going to be typing a lot of
"one over the quantity 2x" things. We'll see.

kt
From: ············@gmail.com
Hi Kenny :

  I would like to know about the license from Allegro CL, is there a
deadline just like the free version you need to refresh the license
file?
From: Kenny
············@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Kenny :
>
>   I would like to know about the license from Allegro CL, is there a
> deadline just like the free version you need to refresh the license
> file?

No, this is a license for distributed applications generated under my
agreement with Franz. If you are referring to the .LIC file, I actually
do not know much about it. That is generated by the Franz "generate
distibutable" procedure and I have no idea what it does other than the
obvious in re controlling use of their software in lines with our
agreement. I imagine it indicates who I am so they know who is shipping
apps, etc, etc.

kt
From: George Neuner
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 21:15:25 -0400, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dimiter "malkia" Stanev wrote:
>> Hi Kenny,
>>
>> Honestly that's quite heavy distribution (47MB) that requires an
>> additional install (GraphicsMagick-1.2.5-Q8-windows-dll.exe) and
>> system-wide changes to the PATH variable.
>>
>> That's probably okay, but certainly some people might discard trying it
>> only because of this.
>>
>> Isn't it possible to bundle GraphicsMagick as part of your distribution
>> directly (if license allows).
>
>I sure tried, including moving the entire contents of the GM directory
>into my application directory, and nothing short of using the installer
>worked. A message to the GM mailing list apparently did not get past the
>moderator. I should look for an ordinary comp.* group where it might be
>in use, but it is such a product-specific issue.
>
>Herculean measures will have to wait.

GraphicsMagick has a COM interface which must be registered to work,
but AFAICS, the graphics API functions are all exported from the DLLs
and should be callable directly from C/C++.

Are you calling the GM functions directly (FFI) or is some other layer
like TCL calling them for you?  If you're using the COM interface,
you'll have to register the GM server.

George
From: John Thingstad
P� Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:38:31 +0200, skrev Kenny <·········@gmail.com>:

> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public: http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
> kt
>
> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(

The program won't run om my machine.
I never get past the splash screen.
Contact met at ·······@online.no .

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
I had to install the GraphicsMagick-1.2.5-Q8-windows-dll.exe package,
then I guess if the PATH variable was not updated, it still won't load
the .DLL file.

Mine got updated to:

PATH=d:\applications\graphicsmagick-1.2.5-q8;...etc...

P.S. I don't install stuff in C:\Program Files, but in D:\Applications.

From: viper-2
On Aug 2, 1:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
> kt
>
> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(

I presume your algebra tutor is free as in freedom?

Kenny, maybe you forgot a link from "About Us" (http://
www.theoryyalgebra.com/about_us.html) to your illustrator Justin's
webpage http://www.allthumbspress.com/ ?

If the content is too X-rated for your mid-schoolers target market,
maybe you could link to a more appropriate page, but I think that as
your featured illustrator you need a link to some of Justin's work -
just a suggestion.

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Aug 2, 1:38 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
>> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> ps. Not sure what my download limit was.... :(
>
> I presume your algebra tutor is free as in freedom?

You lost me.

> Kenny, maybe you forgot a link from "About Us" (http://
> www.theoryyalgebra.com/about_us.html) to your illustrator Justin's
> webpage http://www.allthumbspress.com/ ?
>
> If the content is too X-rated for your mid-schoolers target market,
> maybe you could link to a more appropriate page, but I think that as
> your featured illustrator you need a link to some of Justin's work -
> just a suggestion.

Is this a contest to see how many ways one can seem to respond to my
article without responding to it? That actually sounds like fun.

Meanwhile, to those actually using the software, no rush but the latest
release fixes the problem where you say something not in simplest form
is in simplest form and the software talks about being confused when in
fact it is right (that the expression is not in simplest form).

What I did to fix it was I basically just yanked the bit where the
software second guesses itself and this is cool cuz I had to back off
something similar in the C version where it was second-guessing itself
erroneously.

kt
From: viper-2
On Aug 3, 10:46 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
> >

> > I presume your algebra tutor is free as in freedom?
>
> You lost me.

Free as in Freedom, not as in beer. Definition and Wikipedia article
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

See Vassil Nikolov's neat quote "Free Programmers, Bound Variables".
Of course, when I download the software, the licence will tell.

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:46 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> viper-2 wrote:
>
>>> I presume your algebra tutor is free as in freedom?
>> You lost me.
>
> Free as in Freedom, not as in beer.

I know all that and your question still confuses me. :)

  Definition and Wikipedia article
> here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
>
> See Vassil Nikolov's neat quote "Free Programmers, Bound Variables".
> Of course, when I download the software, the licence will tell.

heh-heh, that reminds me of something else I have to do very soon.

But a light dawns: this is a proprietary binary release for now, no code
so def not GPL (which is what I think you meant by "free" <g>). I am
open to other business models that might put food on my table, but for
now this is a classic commercial product. free download and free to use
until October 1st, and then a per user per year fee or something
thereafter, ala Worlds of Warcraft (tho that and other such things such
as Chess applications are monthly -- I just do not plan to charge enough
to justify monthly.

hth, kenny

ps. Fun development note: a couple of days ago I signed off with "first
I have teach my software that x-y-z is -z-y+-x. After an hour of study I
concluded that what the app needed was an equivalence test dedicated to
sums to help the generic type-driven equivalence code. I went looking
for a blank spot in my document to add it, I found I had written it
several months ago, and the test case left in the test chamber was...
I'll let you all guess. :)

pps. Thomas! How did you get into that loop? Or did it just silently
crash? I was prescient enough to write crashes out to the database, but
not enough to record the whole problem. Fixing that now. k
From: viper-2
On Aug 3, 5:04 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:

> >> You lost me.
>
> > Free as in Freedom, not as in beer.
>
> I know all that and your question still confuses me. :)
>
>   Definition and Wikipedia article
>
> > here:
>
> >http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
>
> > See Vassil Nikolov's neat quote "Free Programmers, Bound Variables".
> > Of course, when I download the software, the licence will tell.
>
> heh-heh, that reminds me of something else I have to do very soon.
>
> But a light dawns: this is a proprietary binary release for now, no code
> so def not GPL (which is what I think you meant by "free" <g>). I am
> open to other business models that might put food on my table ...

I'll download and check out your software if and when you change your
business model so the software is free, best wishes until then.

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Aug 3, 5:04 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> viper-2 wrote:
>>> Free as in Freedom, not as in beer.
>> I know all that and your question still confuses me. :)
>>
>>   Definition and Wikipedia article
>>
>>> here:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
>>> See Vassil Nikolov's neat quote "Free Programmers, Bound Variables".
>>> Of course, when I download the software, the licence will tell.
>> heh-heh, that reminds me of something else I have to do very soon.
>>
>> But a light dawns: this is a proprietary binary release for now, no code
>> so def not GPL (which is what I think you meant by "free" <g>). I am
>> open to other business models that might put food on my table ...
>
> I'll download and check out your software if and when you change your
> business model so the software is free, best wishes until then.

Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
from on a non-Web app.

Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?

I did write to PG because he once wrote somewhere that the best way to
commercialize is to give the software away, but he never got back to me
on that question. It might have been too open-ended.

kt
From: viper-2
On Aug 3, 10:04 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
> >> I know all that and your question still confuses me. :)
>
> >>   Definition and Wikipedia article

> >> heh-heh, that reminds me of something else I have to do very soon.
>
> >> But a light dawns: this is a proprietary binary release for now, no code
> >> so def not GPL (which is what I think you meant by "free" <g>). I am
> >> open to other business models that might put food on my table ...
>
> > I'll download and check out your software if and when you change your
> > business model so the software is free, best wishes until then.
>
> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away ...

Kenny, have you read the definition of "Free Software" at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html ? You don't need to give it
away, it's "free" as in freedom, not as in beer.

As for the business model, it's not a matter of being lazy, I'm far
too swamped with legal matters just now to be of much help.

--agt
From: Kenny
viper-2 wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:04 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> viper-2 wrote:
>>> I'll download and check out your software if and when you change your
>>> business model so the software is free, best wishes until then.
>> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
>> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away ...
>
> Kenny, have you read the definition of "Free Software" at
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html ? You don't need to give it
> away, it's "free" as in freedom, not as in beer.

Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.

Or did you miss that part? I know you are busy... <g>

peace, kt
From: Mark Tarver
Subject: On GPL
On 4 Aug, 04:44, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
> >> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> >> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away ...
>
> > Kenny, have you read the definition of "Free Software" at
> >http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html? You don't need to give it
> > away, it's "free" as in freedom, not as in beer.
>
> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.
>
> Or did you miss that part? I know you are busy... <g>
>
> peace, kt- Hide quoted text -

Indeed.

http://orangesoftware.net/articles/opensource.html

Mark
From: Kenny
Subject: Lisp Sucks! [was Re: "beta" is a reach, but....]
Kenny wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
>>> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
>>> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it
>>> away ...
>>
>> Kenny, have you read the definition of "Free Software" at
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html ? You don't need to give it
>> away, it's "free" as in freedom, not as in beer.
>
> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.
>
> Or did you miss that part? I know you are busy... <g>

PWUAUAUAAHHAHHAHHAAAAAAAHAHAHAH... one lousy misplaced parenthesis fixed
and the hints/annotations now manage to substitute in actual terms from
the math being commented on. The bad news is that I now have to go
through hundreds of these to validate them all. The good news being I
never thought I'd get this far this fast.

  http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/index.html

  Lisp rocks!

kt
From: Brian
On Aug 3, 10:44 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> viper-2 wrote:
> >> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> >> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away ...
>
> > Kenny, have you read the definition of "Free Software" at
> >http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html? You don't need to give it
> > away, it's "free" as in freedom, not as in beer.
>
> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.
>
> Or did you miss that part? I know you are busy... <g>
>
> peace, kt
Or if Stuck on Algebra is sufficiently modular, you could do what id
Software
did with the older Dooms and Quakes; after some period of time release
the
engine/core of the software under the GPL but keep the content
proprietary.

Also, I'm wondering how you are going to get away with using all of
those
sound clips.  Are you going to try to claim fair use or what?
From: Andy Chambers
Brian wrote:

> Or if Stuck on Algebra is sufficiently modular, you could do what id
> Software
> did with the older Dooms and Quakes; after some period of time release
> the
> engine/core of the software under the GPL but keep the content
> proprietary.

That's pretty much the situation already.  Cells and cello already is
GPL

--
Andy
From: Kenny
Andy Chambers wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> Or if Stuck on Algebra is sufficiently modular, you could do what id
>> Software
>> did with the older Dooms and Quakes; after some period of time release
>> the
>> engine/core of the software under the GPL but keep the content
>> proprietary.
>
> That's pretty much the situation already.  Cells and cello already is
> GPL

LLGPL last I looked, but it does vary over time. :)

I /could/ license it so anyone could do what they want with the software
as long as users needed a subscription to use the software, but that
would be interesting only if people got excited about the first version
and then wanted to take it in different directions. I am not sure then
how people get excited about the first version by arguing about web page
point size. Of course they do not bringing me back to my theory about
some people just needing to see their names in print and if they have
nothing to offer they scan their conversation loop for something they
can play over the public microphone just standing there I have to say
something! Lessee, whadowehave...headscarves in French schools... Giants
over Patriots... its not the heat its the humidity... ah, bingo: GPL!
Hey kenny!....

The last time I did this (on CompuServe!) I got about five guinea pigs
one of whom I ended up hiring for two contracts and then one full-time
position at $100k. Many are called, few are chosen.

Thx, btw, to you and Thomas the others who have pitched in. Is it a
coincidence they are the same people who have delivered before? :)

Meanwhile, omigod, the editor cannot parse "3 * -12"!!!! Well, I just
touched that code, guess I broke it. Gotta go...

kt
From: Joost Kremers
Kenny wrote:
> I am not sure then
> how people get excited about the first version by arguing about web page
> point size.

mmm. since you seem rather hung up on this, let me explain why i brought it
up. (though TBH i thought it would be obvious...) personally, if i am
considering spending my money on some piece of software, the first place i
look is the company's/program's homepage. the website basically gives me
the first impression of the program, and if the website looks bad, that
immediately influences my feelings about the program. if a company is
unable to make a decent website suggests something to me about their
ability to make a decent program.

now, consciously, i know that the two aren't necessarily related, but it
nonetheless has an effect, and furthermore, i suspect that many of your
prospective customers are less inclined to make that distinction. so i
figured it'd be a good idea to warn you about the fact that on some
configurations, the website doesn't look good. i know i may not really have
a standard setup, so you may decide that the actual number of people that
might have trouble with the site is so small, it's not worth your time to
fix it, that's completely up to you.

anyway, i wasn't trying to be an ass, and i'm sorry if i came across that
way. i certainly wish you good luck with stuck on algebra and hope it'll be
a success. if i had windows, i might have downloaded the beta and tried
your software, the demo on the website certainly looks very appealing.

--
Joost Kremers                                      ············@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: Kenny
Joost Kremers wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
>> I am not sure then
>> how people get excited about the first version by arguing about web page
>> point size.
>
> mmm. since you seem rather hung up on this,...

It's me who is hung up on this? Excuse me....

AAUAUGGHHHRHRGHAAUAUARGRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for waiting.

  let me explain why i brought it
> up. (though TBH i thought it would be obvious...) personally, if i am
> considering spending my money on some piece of software, the first place i
> look is the company's/program's homepage.

Actually, one of the things I have had to learn is to lose that
attitude. Oh, god, I cannot ship it like this, I have to ask the
operating system how fast to blink the caret in the math editor. No, I
don't. (But I did, I had not learned.) That is something definitely to
get round to, but in its right prioritized order.

Most critics never consider that every enterprise has finite resources,
they just pound their criticizee with any fault they can spot, an
activity for which they have infinite resources it seems.

Most critics also forget they are talking to someone who might have just
spent a year or five on producing something with a lot of substance and
that it is fine to offer helpful advice (which is exactly how I took
yours) but expect smoke from ears if that is /all/ you can say.

As for home pages, you have not seen the competion:

   http://www.mathpower.com/tips.htm

And I think that is after I suggested he improve his web site. :)

the website basically gives me
> the first impression of the program, and if the website looks bad, that
> immediately influences my feelings about the program.

Oh? What effect did "The best Algebra tutorial I have seen" from
macworld have on you? Or was the type too small. <sigh>

if a company is
> unable to make a decent website suggests something to me about their
> ability to make a decent program.
>
> now, consciously, i know that the two aren't necessarily related, but it
> nonetheless has an effect, and furthermore, i suspect that many of your
> prospective customers are less inclined to make that distinction.

No argument. meanwhile someone who actually tried the software
complained about being able to move quickly from problem to problem and
we had a nice chat about the undocumented use of page down for that and
how to refine the interface so folks can know it is there. I actually
thought I would get that complaint because I had the same reaction when
I was doing missions but I really wanted to have someone else complain
about before working on it.

This is a very rich piece of software with all sorts of interface things
to be ironed out and I could be ironing until the day I die and not even
know if I am ironing things that ever matter.

Of course this is c.l.l, a bad place to find programmers who work on
interesting software with interesting problems, let's get back to Anna
Kournikova...

so i
> figured it'd be a good idea to warn you about the fact that on some
> configurations, the website doesn't look good. i know i may not really have
> a standard setup, so you may decide that the actual number of people that
> might have trouble with the site is so small, it's not worth your time to
> fix it, that's completely up to you.
>
> anyway, i wasn't trying to be an ass, and i'm sorry if i came across that
> way. i certainly wish you good luck with stuck on algebra and hope it'll be
> a success. if i had windows, i might have downloaded the beta and tried
> your software, the demo on the website certainly looks very appealing.

Thanks! :)

Peace, kenzo
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> Most critics never consider that every enterprise has finite
> resources, they just pound their criticizee with any fault they can
> spot, an activity for which they have infinite resources it seems.

It is not the critics' job to pound the resources and circumstances of
the criticized.  Let the criticized filter out the validity and
relevance of the criticism it receives.

"This statement is false."            In Lisp: (defun Q () (eq nil (Q)))
From: Kenny
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>> Most critics never consider that every enterprise has finite
>> resources, they just pound their criticizee with any fault they can
>> spot, an activity for which they have infinite resources it seems.
>
> It is not the critics' job to pound the resources and circumstances of
> the criticized.  Let the criticized filter out the validity and
> relevance of the criticism it receives.

What makes you think I am talking to the critics when I am addressing
the critics?

hth, kenny
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Most critics never consider that every enterprise has finite
>>> resources, they just pound their criticizee with any fault they can
>>> spot, an activity for which they have infinite resources it seems.
>> It is not the critics' job to pound the resources and circumstances
>> of
>> the criticized.  Let the criticized filter out the validity and
>> relevance of the criticism it receives.
>>

> What makes you think I am talking to the critics when I am addressing
> the critics?

Too bad.  That would have been a critic of the critics...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Kenny
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>>> It is not the critics' job to pound the resources and circumstances
>>> of
>>> the criticized.  Let the criticized filter out the validity and
>>> relevance of the criticism it receives.
>>>
>> What makes you think I am talking to the critics when I am addressing
>> the critics?
>
> Too bad.  That would have been a critic of the critics...

I chose to ignore the argument from self-reference. Too easy.

kt
From: Leandro Rios
Pascal J. Bourguignon escribi�:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>>> It is not the critics' job to pound the resources and circumstances
>>> of
>>> the criticized.  Let the criticized filter out the validity and
>>> relevance of the criticism it receives.
>>>
>> What makes you think I am talking to the critics when I am addressing
>> the critics?
>
> Too bad.  That would have been a critic of the critics...

A meta-critic!
From: John Thingstad
P� Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:54:52 +0200, skrev Leandro Rios
<··················@gmail.com>:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon escribi�:
>> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What makes you think I am talking to the critics when I am addressing
>>> the critics?
>>  Too bad.  That would have been a critic of the critics...
>
> A meta-critic!

Hmm a meta circular criticizer. Sound like a interesting AI project..
I think I will call it a Kenny..
(Zippy the pinhead evolved into mr Lee..)

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Aug 6, 4:23 pm, "John Thingstad" <·······@online.no> wrote:
> På Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:54:52 +0200, skrev Leandro Rios
> <··················@gmail.com>:
>

> > Pascal J. Bourguignon escribió:

> >>  Too bad.  That would have been a critic of the critics...
>
> > A meta-critic!
>
> Hmm a meta circular criticizer. Sound like a interesting AI project..

No it doesn't. Rather, not if you ask its opinion.
From: John Thingstad
P� Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:07:19 +0200, skrev Thomas F. Burdick
<········@gmail.com>:

> On Aug 6, 4:23�pm, "John Thingstad" <·······@online.no> wrote:
>> P� Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:54:52 +0200, skrev Leandro Rios �
>> <··················@gmail.com>:
>>

>> > Pascal J. Bourguignon escribi�:

>> can

>> addressing
>>
>> > A meta-critic!
>>
>> Hmm a meta circular criticizer. Sound like a interesting AI project..
>
> No it doesn't. Rather, not if you ask its opinion.

Funny. To me sexual reproduction just seems like lazyness.. You are -- a
programmer?

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Nicolas Neuss
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.

Of yourse, you could offer the free software enthusiast viper-2 a GPLed
version for a reasonable price (covering your expenses and lost revenues).

Nicolas
From: Kenny
Nicolas Neuss wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
>> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
>> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
>> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.
>
> Of yourse, you could offer the free software enthusiast viper-2 a GPLed
> version for a reasonable price (covering your expenses and lost revenues).
>
> Nicolas

"...and lost revenues"?! <g> Could be a tricky calculation.

kt
From: George Neuner
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:25:20 -0400, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nicolas Neuss wrote:
>> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Of course I know what the GPL says. And the Manifesto. That concedes I
>>> will not make much money charging for something people can get for free
>>> but that that is OK, my years of effort to create a better way to learn
>>> Algebra entitle me to no more income than the minimum wage.
>>
>> Of yourse, you could offer the free software enthusiast viper-2 a GPLed
>> version for a reasonable price (covering your expenses and lost revenues).
>>
>> Nicolas
>
>"...and lost revenues"?! <g> Could be a tricky calculation.
>
>kt

You can always make the source available with nondisclosure/noncompete
agreement.  People who really just want to learn won't balk at that.

George
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Aug 4, 4:04 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
it in the fallowing days.

> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
> marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
> from on a non-Web app.
Make it Subscription based so:
1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
features like basecamp

And please trim your app 46.2 MB is a lot to download.

> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?
Unless you have tons of users I still believe charging some
(reasonable) amount is better, then relying on adds.

bobi

From: viper-2
On Aug 4, 9:29 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Aug 4, 4:04 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
> it in the fallowing days.
>
> > Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> > this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
> > marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
> > from on a non-Web app.
>
> Make it Subscription based so:
> 1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
> 2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
> features like basecamp

There's a Pizza Party for Friends of the FSF tomorrow in San Francisco
http://www.fsf.org/associate/events/2008/sf-pizza/

For those of you who are interested, here are some tips for health and
freedom to the tune of "San Francisco":

If you're going to San Francisco
You'll be washing Bill right out of your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're going to meet some pizza people there

Across the cyber nation
Free Software explosion
FSF in motion
The global generation
Has a new explanation
Free Software explosion
FSF in motion

If you're going to San Francisco
Go easy on the pizza over there
If you're going to San Francisco
There's LDL so please take lots of care

Across the global nation
Free Software explosion
FSF in motion
FSF in motion ....

;-)

Adapted from "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your
Hair)"

Apologies to author John Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas) and
singer Scott McKenzie.

--agt
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 4, 4:04�am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
> it in the fallowing days.
>>
>> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
>> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
>> marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
>> from on a non-Web app.
> Make it Subscription based so:
> 1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
> 2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
> features like basecamp
>
> And please trim your app 46.2 MB is a lot to download.

Make it 462 MB, and sell CDs!
eg. include some of Kenny's videos as extra ;-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Aug 4, 4:04 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
> it in the fallowing days.

Thx!

>> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
>> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
>> marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
>> from on a non-Web app.
> Make it Subscription based so:
> 1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
> 2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
> features like basecamp

That is the plan.

> And please trim your app 46.2 MB is a lot to download.

I tried, then retargeted my scarce energies when I noticed the download
was only a minute or so and that no matter what I did with ACL
generating 37mb or so in a distro folder it was still going to be a big
download.

>> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
>> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
>> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?
> Unless you have tons of users I still believe charging some
> (reasonable) amount is better, then relying on adds.

I think you are right. Even with universal use by Algebra students I
would not generate enough impressions, in part because of what was
reported here:

   http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/roundup.html

The students who fell behind actually caught up with the rest of the
class and rejoined them when she put them on the C version of this app.
And then they did not need the software any more. ie, the software got
them over some psychological/conceptual block and then they were good to go.

Thx for the input! Thomas found some glaring mistakes (see the Stuck on
Algebra google group) I'll be working on today. But then you would have
to wear out your modem on another download. :)

Thx again, kt
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Aug 4, 9:52 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> > On Aug 4, 4:04 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
> > it in the fallowing days.
>
> Thx!
>
> >> Thanks! But don't be so lazy, figure out a business model for me. I mean
> >> this GPL thing is your idea, not mine. And I would love to give it away,
> >> marketing is too much like work. Just do not see where the money comes
> >> from on a non-Web app.
> > Make it Subscription based so:
> > 1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
> > 2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
> > features like basecamp
>
> That is the plan.
>

> > And please trim your app 46.2 MB is a lot to download.
>
> I tried, then retargeted my scarce energies when I noticed the download
> was only a minute or so and that no matter what I did with ACL
> generating 37mb or so in a distro folder it was still going to be a big
> download.
Ok but make sure that people don't need to redownload very often. Of
course that's after you stabilise you software.

> >> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
> >> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
> >> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?
> > Unless you have tons of users I still believe charging some
> > (reasonable) amount is better, then relying on adds.
>
> I think you are right. Even with universal use by Algebra students I
> would not generate enough impressions, in part because of what was
> reported here:
>
>    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/roundup.html
>
> The students who fell behind actually caught up with the rest of the
> class and rejoined them when she put them on the C version of this app.
> And then they did not need the software any more. ie, the software got
> them over some psychological/conceptual block and then they were good to go.
>
> Thx for the input! Thomas found some glaring mistakes (see the Stuck on
> Algebra google group) I'll be working on today. But then you would have
> to wear out your modem on another download. :)
I redownloaded and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer I would
feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
your attitude when dealing when your customers. Your job is take their
money and make them feel them so good so they will recommend
theoryalgebra to everybody they know. Otherwise if you want people to
worship you, start a cult.

From: namekuseijin
On Aug 5, 5:14 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I redownloaded and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer I would
> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith.

Sheesh!  I have a "poor" 1MB and it was fast enough:  less than 7
minutes.  What do you want?  2 secs?

I agree with Kenny, technology grows so fast you never know when it's
enough.  I was overjoyed with the 1MB conn after years of 56K modems
-- blazing fast, hands down!  Now I hear my sister in London had a
20MB conn!  That's crazy, people don't even know what to do with it,
they watch idiot youtube video after idiot youtube video just like
they did with TV.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 5, 5:14�am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I redownloaded and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer I would
>> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith.
>
> Sheesh!  I have a "poor" 1MB and it was fast enough:  less than 7
> minutes.  What do you want?  2 secs?
>
> I agree with Kenny, technology grows so fast you never know when it's
> enough.  I was overjoyed with the 1MB conn after years of 56K modems
> -- blazing fast, hands down!  Now I hear my sister in London had a
> 20MB conn!  That's crazy, people don't even know what to do with it,
> they watch idiot youtube video after idiot youtube video just like
> they did with TV.

Or they just watch IPTV just they did with TV, err, actually worse.
The best program I can see on IPTV it's a youtube selection, "The Best
of Internet"...  I predict a bright future to eDonkey...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Aug 4, 9:52 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
>>> On Aug 4, 4:04 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> First congratulations, Kenny I downloaded your beta and will look at
>>> it in the fallowing days.
>> Thx!

>>> Make it Subscription based so:
>>> 1. It has to depend on you servers in order to work
>>> 2. Free download for the application for everybody with limited No of
>>> features like basecamp
>> That is the plan.
>>

>>> And please trim your app 46.2 MB is a lot to download.
>> I tried, then retargeted my scarce energies when I noticed the download
>> was only a minute or so and that no matter what I did with ACL
>> generating 37mb or so in a distro folder it was still going to be a big
>> download.
> Ok but make sure that people don't need to redownload very often. Of
> course that's after you stabilise you software.
>>> Unless you have tons of users I still believe charging some
>>> (reasonable) amount is better, then relying on adds.
>> I think you are right. Even with universal use by Algebra students I
>> would not generate enough impressions, in part because of what was
>> reported here:
>>
>>    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/roundup.html
>>
>> The students who fell behind actually caught up with the rest of the
>> class and rejoined them when she put them on the C version of this app.
>> And then they did not need the software any more. ie, the software got
>> them over some psychological/conceptual block and then they were good to go.
>>
>> Thx for the input! Thomas found some glaring mistakes (see the Stuck on
>> Algebra google group) I'll be working on today. But then you would have
>> to wear out your modem on another download. :)
> I redownloaded ...

thanks for the effort!

and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer

you would not have been treated like a c.l.l yobbo

> ....I would
> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
> your attitude when dealing when your customers.

I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...

> Your job is take their
> money and make them feel them so good so they will recommend
> theoryalgebra to everybody they know. Otherwise if you want people to
> worship you, start a cult.
>> Thx again, kt

Cool! I have never seen anyone get hypersensitive over their bandwidth
before. But yours sounds faster than mine. <sob> What the hell are we
discussing this for? Where is the Web page point size thread when I need it?

My thinking was this: if a customer does not have broadband they are
gonna need me to mail them a CD, period. If they do have broadband, I
did not see a problem. Period.

the problem is pretty cool, actually: technology is improving faster
than we can adjust our "feel" for how much is "a lot". So we all (even
I) looked at the download size and react, Whoa. The difference between
you and me is that I realized the preceding paragraph.

:)

Peace, kt
From: Slobodan Blazeski

http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/firecust.htm

> > ....I would
> > feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
> > your attitude when dealing when your customers.
>
> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...
Check at people who found time to download your beta and test it,
without getting paid. Usually people don't do that, unless you're beta
is grand theft auto, need for speed or something like that.

> > Your job is take their
> > money and make them feel them so good so they will recommend
> > theoryalgebra to everybody they know. Otherwise if you want people to
> > worship you, start a cult.
> >> Thx again, kt
>
> Cool! I have never seen anyone get hypersensitive over their bandwidth
> before. But yours sounds faster than mine. <sob> What the hell are we
> discussing this for? Where is the Web page point size thread when I need it?
>
> My thinking was this: if a customer does not have broadband they are
> gonna need me to mail them a CD, period. If they do have broadband, I
> did not see a problem. Period.
The advice was about youtattitude, it's Ok in cll where people know
you but it sucks with people who don't. You love your application,
it's the prettiest baby in the world because you made it. But not
everybody is seeing it with your eyes. So get use to critique
especially from people who cared enough to write it.

From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Aug 5, 10:55 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
>>> Ok but make sure that people don't need to redownload very often. Of
>>> course that's after you stabilise you software.
>>> I redownloaded ...
>> thanks for the effort!
>>
>> and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer
>>
>> you would not have been treated like a c.l.l yobbo
>
> http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/firecust.htm
>>> ....I would
>>> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
>>> your attitude when dealing when your customers.
>> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...
> Check at people who found time to download your beta and test it,
> without getting paid. Usually people don't do that, unless you're beta
> is grand theft auto, need for speed or something like that.
>>> Your job is take their
>>> money and make them feel them so good so they will recommend
>>> theoryalgebra to everybody they know. Otherwise if you want people to
>>> worship you, start a cult.
>> Cool! I have never seen anyone get hypersensitive over their bandwidth
>> before. But yours sounds faster than mine. <sob> What the hell are we
>> discussing this for? Where is the Web page point size thread when I need it?
>>
>> My thinking was this: if a customer does not have broadband they are
>> gonna need me to mail them a CD, period. If they do have broadband, I
>> did not see a problem. Period.
> The advice was about youtattitude, it's Ok in cll where people know
> you but it sucks with people who don't. You love your application,
> it's the prettiest baby in the world because you made it. But not
> everybody is seeing it with your eyes. So get use to critique
> especially from people who cared enough to write it.

Slobby, you ignorant slut. I sold this thing for years in and around
1990 and the 800 number for support was also my home line (which reminds
me, turns out my carrier cannot do that, but hey, what is the Internet
for? Hmmm, gottta get a support email/chat thing in there...I
digress...). It was one of my favorite things about the whole
enterprise, and people loved it when they realized they were talking to
the guy who wrote it. I had no problem helping people find the "m" key
on their keyboards back then before the Internet had everyone using
keyboards. My favorite was the guy -- know, it would be the woman with
the sexiest voice I ever heard, but I digrss -- my second favorite was
the guy who called to ream me for creating such a terrible program and I
said I was surprised and we went thru his complaints and I talked him
thru a few features and told him where in the manual he could find that
if he forgot and he called back the next day to tell me how incredibly
wonderful the program was. Good for him.

You are probably wondering how you can make it up to me after lecturing
me on something you probably have never done in your life and which you
just found out I am a master at.

Easy. Get your fat ass down to the superintendent of schools in the
nearest metropolis and give them a demo.

:)

kenny
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Aug 5, 8:25 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> >> thanks for the effort!
>
> >> and I have a 4MB/s and if I was your customer
>
> >> you would not have been treated like a c.l.l yobbo
>
> >http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/firecust.htm
> >> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...
> > Check at people who found time to download your beta and test it,
> > without getting paid. Usually people don't do that, unless you're beta
> > is grand theft auto, need for speed or something like that.
> >> Cool! I have never seen anyone get hypersensitive over their bandwidth
> >> before. But yours sounds faster than mine. <sob> What the hell are we
> >> discussing this for? Where is the Web page point size thread when I need it?
>
> >> My thinking was this: if a customer does not have broadband they are
> >> gonna need me to mail them a CD, period. If they do have broadband, I
> >> did not see a problem. Period.
> > The advice was about youtattitude, it's Ok in cll where people know
> > you but it sucks with people who don't. You love your application,
> > it's the prettiest baby in the world because you made it. But not
> > everybody is seeing it with your eyes. So get use to critique
> > especially from people who cared enough to write it.
>
> Slobby, you ignorant slut. I sold this thing for years in and around
> 1990 and the 800 number for support was also my home line (which reminds
> me, turns out my carrier cannot do that, but hey, what is the Internet
> for? Hmmm, gottta get a support email/chat thing in there...I
> digress...). It was one of my favorite things about the whole
> enterprise, and people loved it when they realized they were talking to
> the guy who wrote it. I had no problem helping people find the "m" key
> on their keyboards back then before the Internet had everyone using
> keyboards. My favorite was the guy -- know, it would be the woman with
> the sexiest voice I ever heard, but I digrss -- my second favorite was
> the guy who called to ream me for creating such a terrible program and I
> said I was surprised and we went thru his complaints and I talked him
> thru a few features and told him where in the manual he could find that
> if he forgot and he called back the next day to tell me how incredibly
> wonderful the program was. Good for him.
>
> You are probably wondering how you can make it up to me after lecturing
> me on something you probably have never done in your life and which you
> just found out I am a master at.
>
> Easy. Get your fat ass down to the superintendent of schools in the
> nearest metropolis and give them a demo.
>
> :)
Will I get a cut?

bobi

From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> Will I get a cut?

Aw, jeez, everybody has their hand in my pocket.

10%?

kt
From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
>>> ....I would
>>> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
>>> your attitude when dealing when your customers.
>> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...
> Check at people who found time to download your beta and test it,
> without getting paid. Usually people don't do that, unless you're beta
> is grand theft auto, need for speed or something like that.

Or if they are a Lisper delighted to have something besides Orbitz and
Crash Bandicoot to talk about or would like to see a new Lisp employer
prosper or if they are one of the many noobs I have helped over they
years or if they are people who have used Cells or Cells-Gtk or even the
rare Cello to do some fun software or if they appreciate the Road to
Lisp and my years of Lisp advocacy (you idiot).

Damn, its a good thing you only have 4mbs, lord knows how much daftitude
you'd be piping into this NG with a respectable connection. )

kenny
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:

>> ....I would
>> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
>> your attitude when dealing when your customers.
>
> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...

It goes like this:

                 +----------------+
                 |  Mr. Customer  |
                 +----------------+

                 +----------------+
                 |Kenny Sharholder|
                 +----------------+

                 +----------------+
                 |    CEO Kenny   |
                 +----------------+

         +---------------+-----+------------------+
         |                     |                  |
 +----------------+   +----------------+   +----------------+
 |    CTO Kenny   |   |    CFO Kenny   |   |    CMO Kenny   |
 +----------------+   +----------------+   +----------------+

         +--------------------+
         |                    |
 +----------------+   +----------------+
 |Kenny Programmer|   | Justin Artist  |
 +----------------+   +----------------+

Check, Mr. Customer is above.

Two datapoints:

at work:
2008-08-05 12:07:25 (181 KB/s) - `StuckOnAlgebra.exe' saved [48466952/48466952]
real	4m21.778s
user	0m0.157s
sys	0m0.657s

at home:
2008-08-05 12:17:33 (1.32 MB/s) - `StuckOnAlgebra.exe' saved [48466952/48466952]
real    0m35.423s
user    0m0.156s
sys     0m1.468s

But I hear in Africa they've got much slower Internet.  (And I don't
know if they have more MS-Windows system than me. Probably, since I've
got 0).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Kenny
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>>> ....I would
>>> feel insulted for making remarks about my small ... bandwith. So cut
>>> your attitude when dealing when your customers.
>> I am checking the organization chart for my company, don't see your name...
>
> It goes like this:
>
>                  +----------------+
>                  |  Mr. Customer  |
>                  +----------------+

Please coordinate with Slobby so you two do not end up in the same
Superintendent of Scool's office.

:)

kenny
> Two datapoints:
>
> at work:
> 2008-08-05 12:07:25 (181 KB/s) - `StuckOnAlgebra.exe' saved [48466952/48466952]
> real	4m21.778s
> user	0m0.157s
> sys	0m0.657s
>
> at home:
> 2008-08-05 12:17:33 (1.32 MB/s) - `StuckOnAlgebra.exe' saved [48466952/48466952]
> real    0m35.423s
> user    0m0.156s
> sys     0m1.468s
>

> But I hear in Africa they've got much slower Internet.  (And I don't
> know if they have more MS-Windows system than me. Probably, since I've
> got 0).

Well I think the big point is that you people cannot read. I have
already pointed out that no matter what I do (unless I am missing
something) we have at least a 30mb or so d/l. The other thing I have
pointed out which failed to penetrate and I should have known nothing
less than an armor piercing round would your thick skulls is that I
spent quite a while trying to figure out exactly why Tcl needed half its
lib directory before Snack would run so any dunce could figure out I was
already aware of in tune with working on and thinking about the frickin
issue. But I think I understand. Usenet is a microphone, and some people
cannot resist a microphone. With nothing intelligent to say... look out,
here comes something that simply makes no sense in the face of the
information already established.

kt
From: Frank "frgo" a.k.a DG1SBG
···@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> But I hear in Africa they've got much slower Internet.

Well, actually having been in Africa (both for business and vacation)
- Kenya, actually - I can say that distribution into African countries
actually works by putting stuff on local servers. Downloading then
normally is done at 128 kBit/s gross bandwidth. Downloading several
hours being too long? No!! They are used to it! And: There's no such
thing as impatience for African pupils. They do have the time to just
sit and wait!

As Kenny already tried to limit the package size: You know SAP ? That
rich GUI? That was the only GUI that really worked over the small
bandwidth lines in Kenya, the server being in Germany!

The SAP GUI only downloads those portions to the GUI that is needed to
run on the client - normally business logic resides on the server.

So, we might have to redesign the application architecture for really
addressing the low bandwith stuff.

But: NGOs are doing well with delivering CDs to schools. You might
want to contact NGOs for having a site-license per country. Or the
local Ministry of Education.

Oh, and about the OS on those computers: Many still on Windows 98! W2K
and Vista being there too, though.

All other parts of the world: No problem. Bandwitdth there. Even Tibet.

Cheers

  Frank

--

  Frank Goenninger

  frgo(at)mac(dot)com

  "Don't ask me! I haven't been reading comp.lang.lisp long enough to
  really know ..."
From: Øyvin Halfdan Thuv
On 2008-08-04, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?

Hi Kenny,

Opera did something like this earlier. That said, a web-browser is usually
connected to the net, which may or may not be true for your software.

--
Oyvin
From: Øyvin Halfdan Thuv
On 2008-08-04, �yvin Halfdan Thuv <·······@pvv.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 2008-08-04, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
>> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
>> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?
>
> Hi Kenny,
>
> Opera did something like this earlier. That said, a web-browser is usually
> connected to the net, which may or may not be true for your software.

And, I should mention; they are now giving their software away for free
(without ads, that is) :)

--
Oyvin
From: Kenny
�yvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:
> On 2008-08-04, �yvin Halfdan Thuv <·······@pvv.ntnu.no> wrote:
>> On 2008-08-04, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Which reminds me, does anyone know if Google ads have ever been
>>> displayed via desktop apps connected in real-time to the Web so the ads
>>> can change as much as they do in a Web 2.0 app?
>> Hi Kenny,
>>
>> Opera did something like this earlier. That said, a web-browser is usually
>> connected to the net, which may or may not be true for your software.

Yes, all data is store on Amazon S3 so they can move around and still
get to their work/profiles.

> And, I should mention; they are now giving their software away for free
> (without ads, that is) :)

But not the source code. I can imagine business models where the
software is free and money comes from having the eyeballs, but not
giving away years of coding that gets the eyeballs.

Thx, for the input. I'll just poke around on Google and see what I can see.

kt
From: ······@gmail.com
On Aug 1, 10:38 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.

Way to go Kenny!

I see most comp.lang.lisp regulars have chimed in enthusiastically to
talk about off-topic things. This thread is currently bloated to 46
posts. I feel i also need to give you some input on something off-
topic.

Ok, what i wanted to say, is that you have stiched photos of all the
colored people onto the main page. Way to go America! But wait a
minute, aren't you forgot something?

i see 7 photos, which shows the face of 5 people. 3 of them Asian
looking, 1 black, 1 redhead. Where are the WASPs? They genocided the
American Indians successfully, more so than the German people under
Hitler ever did the Jews. A photo of a WASP should be on it.

It would be proper, to put a cute blonde there somewhere. It's all
about marketing. Really.

... O, something serious just hit my mind. Due to your lack of using
the well-to-do WASPs, some minory group of the American Left can use
that to sue you for the implication that colored people are more
stupid and need your software to get going. More reason to put a cute
blonde.

Another train of thought hit me now. This one is quite a different
nature from the above. Recently i've been talking with the emacs
fuckheads. (see
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_frm/thread/5b81fcfd40d1f4ca
and
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_frm/thread/fa98e2d90ee1097b
)
They accuse me of wanting to dumb emacs down. Would these people
consider your software a crime of dumbing down?

       *       *       *

O, here's a quote about the WASP genocide of the American Indians
being the greatest in history:

“The destruction of the Indians of the Americas was, far and away, the
most massive act of genocide in the history of the world.” — David
Stannard↗ , American Holocaust. (1992)

tech geekers may queston, “O Xah, why do you have to go out of the way
to mention unpleasant facts”. It's not really just that. You see, my
knowledge is just a bit broader and deeper than the average tech
geeker. So, they went off to discuss their opinions on off topic
things, from web design to screen pixels to the politics of licensing.
I just have slightly richer thoughts and perceptions given the same
thing to look at.

Further readings:

The Hawking WASP
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t1/20040318_americanism.html

Iraq Photos
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/iraq_pixra.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: namekuseijin
Wow!  c.l.l is truly amazing!  An Algebra software turning to html
design and now, racial hate.

I truly love the asian boy with a laptop in the beach having fun by...
surfing the web? ;)

On yet another offtopic note but related to the above:  Copacabana
Beach in Rio de Janeiro now offers free wi-fi to everyone crazy enough
to bring mobile devices to the beach before being robbed.
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> Wow!  c.l.l is truly amazing!  An Algebra software turning to html
> design and now, racial hate.

Yes, look for me to start a thread soon on racial hate to see if I can
get some Lispers to help me out by downloading the software and checking
for install issues. (I know, it would take three minutes.)

> I truly love the asian boy with a laptop in the beach having fun by...
> surfing the web? ;)
>
> On yet another offtopic note but related to the above:  Copacabana
> Beach in Rio de Janeiro now offers free wi-fi to everyone crazy enough
> to bring mobile devices to the beach before being robbed.

Sounds like a great place for Rambo wannabes to bring their registered
handguns and a Powerbook. Unless the robbers have AK-47s, of course.

kt
From: namekuseijin
On Aug 5, 12:12 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> namekuseijin wrote:
> > On yet another offtopic note but related to the above:  Copacabana
> > Beach in Rio de Janeiro now offers free wi-fi to everyone crazy enough
> > to bring mobile devices to the beach before being robbed.
>
> Sounds like a great place for Rambo wannabes to bring their registered
> handguns and a Powerbook. Unless the robbers have AK-47s, of course.

Actually, quick reflexes are more important than heavy guns, here:
they are skilled pickpockets capable of grabbing watches, jewels and
digital gadgets in a blinking.  AR-15s are only used in the slums. ;)

Ok, all the great fun in this thread made me eager to try out the
software, downloading it.  Don't know if will work alright on Wine
under Linux and, thus, I won't be bothering you with bug reports.
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> On Aug 5, 12:12 am, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> namekuseijin wrote:
>>> On yet another offtopic note but related to the above:  Copacabana
>>> Beach in Rio de Janeiro now offers free wi-fi to everyone crazy enough
>>> to bring mobile devices to the beach before being robbed.
>> Sounds like a great place for Rambo wannabes to bring their registered
>> handguns and a Powerbook. Unless the robbers have AK-47s, of course.
>
> Actually, quick reflexes are more important than heavy guns, here:
> they are skilled pickpockets capable of grabbing watches, jewels and
> digital gadgets in a blinking.

Oh, yeah, those people are good. They'd end up with my Glock! :)

> AR-15s are only used in the slums. ;)
>
> Ok, all the great fun in this thread made me eager to try out the
> software, downloading it.  Don't know if will work alright on Wine
> under Linux and, thus, I won't be bothering you with bug reports.

Shucks, I'll hire you to do a Linux build.

kt
From: Kenny
······@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 1, 10:38 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
>> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
> Way to go Kenny!

Thanks, Xah!

> I see most comp.lang.lisp regulars have chimed in enthusiastically to
> talk about off-topic things.

Yeah, I noticed.

This thread is currently bloated to 46
> posts. I feel i also need to give you some input on something off-
> topic.

I am honored.

> Ok, what i wanted to say, is that you have stiched photos of all the
> colored people onto the main page. Way to go America! But wait a
> minute, aren't you forgot something?
>
> i see 7 photos, which shows the face of 5 people. 3 of them Asian
> looking, 1 black, 1 redhead. Where are the WASPs?

Anna Kournikova turned me down.

> They genocided the
> American Indians successfully, more so than the German people under
> Hitler ever did the Jews. A photo of a WASP should be on it.

As a reward?!

> It would be proper, to put a cute blonde there somewhere. It's all
> about marketing. Really.
>
> ... O, something serious just hit my mind. Due to your lack of using
> the well-to-do WASPs, some minory group of the American Left can use
> that to sue you for the implication that colored people are more
> stupid and need your software to get going. More reason to put a cute
> blonde.
>
> Another train of thought hit me now. This one is quite a different
> nature from the above. Recently i've been talking with the emacs
> fuckheads. (see
> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_frm/thread/5b81fcfd40d1f4ca
> and
> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_frm/thread/fa98e2d90ee1097b
> )
> They accuse me of wanting to dumb emacs down. Would these people
> consider your software a crime of dumbing down?
>
>        *       *       *
>
> O, here's a quote about the WASP genocide of the American Indians
> being the greatest in history:
>
> “The destruction of the Indians of the Americas was, far and away, the
> most massive act of genocide in the history of the world.” — David
> Stannard↗ , American Holocaust. (1992)
>
> tech geekers may queston, “O Xah, why do you have to go out of the way
> to mention unpleasant facts”. It's not really just that. You see, my
> knowledge is just a bit broader and deeper than the average tech
> geeker. So, they went off to discuss their opinions on off topic
> things, from web design to screen pixels to the politics of licensing.
> I just have slightly richer thoughts and perceptions given the same
> thing to look at.

But your mastery of all things intellectual also tells you that genocide
is just business as usual for the human race. American Indians practiced
it tribe against tribe. China's history makes the US Civil War look like
a bar fight. The world reacted with horror to the Holocaust. Afterwards,
not when they could have helped. Then went right on with the genocide.
Is Darfur the current example? It is hard to keep up.

The moral? You often remark at how deficient we all are compared with
yourself. Yep. On average, people are pretty nasty. I am in bars when
they close often enough to be sure of it. Civilization is a house of
cards brought down by one hard look. Marvel not at the holocaust, but
the peace.

kt
From: ······@gmail.com

On Aug 4, 7:56 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
«
But your mastery of all things intellectual also tells you that
genocide is just business as usual for the human race. American
Indians practiced it tribe against tribe. China's history makes the US
Civil War look like a bar fight. The world reacted with horror to the
Holocaust. Afterwards, not when they could have helped. Then went
right on with the genocide.  Is Darfur the current example? It is hard
to keep up.

The moral? You often remark at how deficient we all are compared with
yourself. Yep. On average, people are pretty nasty. I am in bars when
they close often enough to be sure of it. Civilization is a house of
cards brought down by one hard look. Marvel not at the holocaust, but
the peace.
»

Way to go Kenny!

Seldom do i find a newsgroup post that are overall intelligent and a
joy to converse with.

one thing about the value of information or the value of education, is
the ratio of info-quality/well-known-ness.

This is why, with my concern of education and in general non-conformal
personality, always tend to post things or issues that seem to
techgeekers to be ill natured. (these morons took it to be a
characteristic of “trolling”)

For example, i speak out the merits of lisp's regular syntax in perl
communities, then i got deemed a troll. Then i speak out about the
problem of lisp's irruglar syntax in lisp communitie, and i got deemed
a troll. If tech geeking morons just open their minds or broaden their
minds, the discussion could be rather more fruitful. (i stand ready at
this moment for the flood of tech geeking morons who are about to
pounce with drivels such as “different groups”, “different
philosophies”, “religion”, “apples and oranges”.)

The idea of teaching less well-known but important things or the value
of speaking out against the traditional, is not new. It is one the
most classic notation in education. (classic here, means with respect
to human history, e.g. the Greeks)

          *          *          *

... with the above rambling, here's a fact i like to mention in the
way this sub-thread is drifting....

sometimes in the past recent years, in my study of social and human
animal issues, i have wondered, for example, about the world's
population... and among the issues, is the qusetion of just what would
be the list of the world's events that has the most number of deaths.

If you ask a average American with college edu, perhaps the answer
would be World War II, some Plague in Europe, Holocaust, and maybe
American Civil War, Vietnam war. If they are a bit older or more in
depth, they might thought of Korean War. (few will actually be
explicitly aware the genocide of American Indians) The above is pretty
much it, in their minds. If you ask them to draw a pie chart as to
show a rough indication of the number of deaths relative to each
event, they are probably cluessless except given WWII a big piece.

I'll leave the tech geekers for home work on the above. Not that i'm a
expert on this, but i've done the home work on this in the past few
years. You should give it a try.

The thing i wanted to mention in this post, is this fact:

In the 1930s, in china, someone claimed to be be the brother of Jesus
and started a Christian cult/religion, called Heavenly Kingdom of
Taiping. This cult caused 20 million deaths. This guy is named Hong
Xiuquan (洪秀全), and this is one of his poem:

手握乾坤殺伐權,
斬邪留正解民懸。
眼通西北江山外,
聲振東南日月邊。
璽劍光榮存帝賜,
詩章憑據誦爺前,
太平一統光世界,
威風快樂萬千年。

with universe in hand, kill the powers
chop off evil, leave the good, and save people's law
my eyes can see from west to north and beyond the mountains and rivers
my sound shocks from east to south to the edges of sun and moon
The glorious sword of authority was given me by Lord,
Poems and scriptures are evidences that praise Yahweh in front of Him.
Taiping unifies and brightens the world
the heroism and joy be for myriads of thousands years

(english translation by Xah Lee)

This cult, is analogous today to Falun Gong, which is now a
international org (like Scientology) with its own multi-language free
publications, vast number of domain names, and support from various
nations, one of the primary supporter is USA.

Further readings:

• Scientology and Falun Gong
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/scientology_falun_gong.html

• Li Ao on Tibet and Dalai Lama
http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/tibet.html

(the US government, the CIA, supplied weapons and military training to
Tibet rebells.)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: namekuseijin
On Aug 6, 7:39 pm, ·······@gmail.com" <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> tech geekers may queston, "O Xah, why do you have to go out of the way
> to mention unpleasant facts". It's not really just that. You see, my
> knowledge is just a bit broader and deeper than the average tech
> geeker. So, they went off to discuss their opinions on off topic
> things, from web design to screen pixels to the politics of
> licensing.  I just have slightly richer thoughts and perceptions given
> the same thing to look at.

Ok, by now we are all tired of knowing how much of a genious you are,
Xah.  Not much point bragging about it everytime.

> For example, i speak out the merits of lisp's regular syntax in perl
> communities, then i got deemed a troll. Then i speak out about the
> problem of lisp's irruglar syntax in lisp communitie, and i got deemed
> a troll.

If not a troll, then at least severely contradicting.
BTW, you have not plonked me, have you?  That would make a hipocrite
of yourself as well.

> If tech geeking morons just open their minds or broaden their
> minds, the discussion could be rather more fruitful.

Or more offtopic.

> (i stand ready at
> this moment for the flood of tech geeking morons who are about to
> pounce with drivels such as "different groups", "different
> philosophies", "religion", "apples and oranges".)

Yes, sounds really ilogical, huh?

> In the 1930s, in china, someone claimed to be be the brother of Jesus
> and started a Christian cult/religion, called Heavenly Kingdom of
> Taiping. This cult caused 20 million deaths. This guy is named Hong
> Xiuquan (¬x¨q¥þ), and this is one of his poem:

> This cult, is analogous today to Falun Gong, which is now a
> international org (like Scientology) with its own multi-language free
> publications, vast number of domain names, and support from various
> nations, one of the primary supporter is USA.

This is all very interesting and worrysome.  It just don't have
anything to do with c.l.l
From: George Neuner
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:10:13 -0700 (PDT), ·······@gmail.com"
<······@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 1, 10:38 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it's cleaner than i thought it would be at this stage. Now open to
>> the (Windows) public:http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>> Also open to the public is the Google group Stuck On Algebra, where
>> feedback and IRs can be left. email works, too.
>
>Way to go Kenny!
>
>I see most comp.lang.lisp regulars have chimed in enthusiastically to
>talk about off-topic things. This thread is currently bloated to 46
>posts. I feel i also need to give you some input on something off-
>topic.
>
>Ok, what i wanted to say, is that you have stiched photos of all the
>colored people onto the main page. Way to go America! But wait a
>minute, aren't you forgot something?
>
>i see 7 photos, which shows the face of 5 people. 3 of them Asian
>looking, 1 black, 1 redhead. Where are the WASPs?

Kenny's just targeting the most profitable demographic.  Students of
Asian descent tend to be among the best in math in US schools.

The one black child is in line with national demographics - the black
population is about 13% so 1 out of 7 is about right.

>It would be proper, to put a cute blonde there somewhere. It's all
>about marketing. Really.

Genetically, dark hair and dark eyes are dominant.  Only about one
person in six in the US should be naturally blonde - nearly all of
California and half the rest are all bleach jobs.

A redhead could be construed to represent the blondes ... you need
blonde and brunette genes to get red.  Kenny's redhead looks bottled
though.

>... O, something serious just hit my mind. Due to your lack of using
>the well-to-do WASPs, some minory group of the American Left can use
>that to sue you for the implication that colored people are more
>stupid and need your software to get going. More reason to put a cute
>blonde.

This is potentially a valid concern, however, you are forgetting that
WASPs are a minority in the US ... along with some other groups they
are qualified on the census as "non-Hispanic White".

George
From: George Neuner
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:42:24 -0700 (PDT), ········@gmail.com wrote:

>On 5 Ago, 20:22, George Neuner <········@comcast.net> wrote:
>> you need blonde and brunette genes to get red.
>
>[OT, but here we go (as always...)]
>
>In this exact case, you don't need two different genes to 'create' or
>'get' another one. Red is not a mixture, it is its own, pure base
>class (and there are exactly 4 different ones).
>
>(I know that this misconception seems to be commonplace, but that
>doesn't make it more true.)
>
>-PM

Interesting.  I admit my genetics knowledge is 20 years out of date
but I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
Do you have cites so I can do some reading?

George
From: ········@gmail.com
On 7 Ago, 04:44, George Neuner <········@comcast.net> wrote:  of date
> ... I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
> Do you have cites so I can do some reading?

No, sorry, please forget my comment...
From: Joost Kremers
Subject: [OT] red hair (was: Re: "beta" is a reach, but....)
········@gmail.com wrote:
> On 7 Ago, 04:44, George Neuner <········@comcast.net> wrote:  of date
>> ... I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
>> Do you have cites so I can do some reading?
>
> No, sorry, please forget my comment...

lots of references here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair>

--
Joost Kremers                                      ············@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: red hair (was: Re: "beta" is a reach, but....)
On Aug 7, 10:59 am, Joost Kremers <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair>

So, summing up, and turning back on topic:

If Lisp is redhead, and Cells is redhead, then Stuck On Algebra must
have lots of freckels (and I love freckels!).

-PM
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
George Neuner <········@comcast.net> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:42:24 -0700 (PDT), ········@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On 5 Ago, 20:22, George Neuner <········@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> you need blonde and brunette genes to get red.
>>
>>[OT, but here we go (as always...)]
>>
>>In this exact case, you don't need two different genes to 'create' or
>>'get' another one. Red is not a mixture, it is its own, pure base
>>class (and there are exactly 4 different ones).
>>
>>(I know that this misconception seems to be commonplace, but that
>>doesn't make it more true.)
>>
>>-PM
>
> Interesting.  I admit my genetics knowledge is 20 years out of date
> but I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
> Do you have cites so I can do some reading?

Wikipedia, Google, etc.

And besides, it's rather obvious, if you've ever tried to cross green
peas with yellow peas...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: George Neuner
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:57:49 +0200, ···@informatimago.com (Pascal J.
Bourguignon) wrote:

>George Neuner <········@comcast.net> writes:

>>>[OT, but here we go (as always...)]
>>>
>>>In this exact case, you don't need two different genes to 'create' or
>>>'get' another one. Red is not a mixture, it is its own, pure base
>>>class (and there are exactly 4 different ones).
>>>
>>>(I know that this misconception seems to be commonplace, but that
>>>doesn't make it more true.)
>>>
>>>-PM
>>
>> Interesting.  I admit my genetics knowledge is 20 years out of date
>> but I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
>> Do you have cites so I can do some reading?
>
>Wikipedia, Google, etc.

Google can't find me anything online - everything it finds is in print
journals for which I'd have to visit a major library.  That's normally
no problem because I live near Boston, MA, but currently I'm stuck in
horse country on the NY,PA border, several hours drive from any city
with a decent library.  And most libraries won't lend those journals
anyway.

>And besides, it's rather obvious, if you've ever tried to cross green
>peas with yellow peas...

I crossed tall and short pea plants in high school.  That experience
does not answer the hair color problem.

George
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
George Neuner <········@comcast.net> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:57:49 +0200, ···@informatimago.com (Pascal J.
> Bourguignon) wrote:
>
>>Wikipedia, Google, etc.
>
> Google can't find me anything online - everything it finds is in print
> journals for which I'd have to visit a major library.  That's normally
> no problem because I live near Boston, MA, but currently I'm stuck in
> horse country on the NY,PA border, several hours drive from any city
> with a decent library.  And most libraries won't lend those journals
> anyway.

Did you google for:  red hair gene  ?
Beside wikipedia, you have on the first page of results documents such as:
http://www.derm.med.ed.ac.uk/06_teaching/redhairgenetics.pdf

Granted, more "serrious" papers are not usually available for free.
But hey! You've got the gene, you've got the genome, and you've got
biocycle and littleb!  Make your own genetic paper about red hair!
This is all free software! :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: John Thingstad
P� Thu, 07 Aug 2008 04:44:39 +0200, skrev George Neuner
<········@comcast.net>:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:42:24 -0700 (PDT), ········@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On 5 Ago, 20:22, George Neuner <········@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> you need blonde and brunette genes to get red.
>>
>> [OT, but here we go (as always...)]
>>
>> In this exact case, you don't need two different genes to 'create' or
>> 'get' another one. Red is not a mixture, it is its own, pure base
>> class (and there are exactly 4 different ones).
>>
>> (I know that this misconception seems to be commonplace, but that
>> doesn't make it more true.)
>>
>> -PM
>
> Interesting.  I admit my genetics knowledge is 20 years out of date
> but I've _never_ before heard that red hair was an independent trait.
> Do you have cites so I can do some reading?
>
> George

For that matter (I finally admit) I am a readhead!

John Thingstad