From: Joe Smith
Subject: Hunchentoot + mod_lisp2
Hey guys, I'm trying to run Hunchentoot ( http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/
) behind Apache (using mod_lisp2 on Ubuntu Server 7.10) but I can't
display a web page, instead I get a  "The variable HUNCHENTOOT:*REPLY*
is unbound." error. I've been checking google for a while, but so far
only seem to find something dealing with ssl (which I'm not using). I
also tried to run Hunchentoot on a different port (without using
mod_lisp2), but I'm still unable to access it. I can get the actual
server running on my local machine (which doesn't have Apache), but
not my server. I was following along with this guide
http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/common.lisp.with.apache.php

Does anyone have any experience with running Hunchentoot on Ubuntu?

From: David Golden
Subject: Re: Hunchentoot + mod_lisp2
Joe Smith wrote:

> I can get the actual
> server running on my local machine (which doesn't have Apache), but
> not my server. I was following along with this guide
> http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/common.lisp.with.apache.php
>
> Does anyone have any experience with running Hunchentoot on Ubuntu?

Well, no particular clue as to why that might happen, but rather than
faffing with the enormous (and total overkill if you're not using it
for other non-lisp stuff) apache, if you don't *need* apache, you might
consider "pound" with hunchentoot.  Pound is a fast no-nonsense
non-caching request-sanitising reverse-proxy/load-balancer, ideal for
highly dynamic websites. It can also handle SSL for you (though of
course hunchentoot has its own CL+SSL based SSL)

http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

- it's in the ubuntu package repo, too:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/pound

Really very straightforward to use with hunchentoot.

For a first test, hang a hunchentoot server off some port on localhost
(say 9000), and point pound at it in pound.cfg, which looks
something like this:

ListenHTTP
        Address 0.0.0.0
        Port 80

        Service
                Backend
                        Address 127.0.0.1
                        Port 9000
                End
        End
End
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:09:42 -0700 (PDT), Joe Smith <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm trying to run Hunchentoot (
> http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/ ) behind Apache (using mod_lisp2 on
> Ubuntu Server 7.10) but I can't display a web page, instead I get a
> "The variable HUNCHENTOOT:*REPLY* is unbound." error. I've been
> checking google for a while, but so far only seem to find something
> dealing with ssl (which I'm not using). I also tried to run
> Hunchentoot on a different port (without using mod_lisp2), but I'm
> still unable to access it. I can get the actual server running on my
> local machine (which doesn't have Apache), but not my server. I was
> following along with this guide
> http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/common.lisp.with.apache.php
>
> Does anyone have any experience with running Hunchentoot on Ubuntu?

  http://weitz.de/hunchentoot/#mail

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: =?utf-8?b?VmlsaG8gUsOkaXPDpG5lbg==?=
Joe Smith <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey guys, I'm trying to run Hunchentoot ( http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/
> ) behind Apache (using mod_lisp2 on Ubuntu Server 7.10) but I can't
> display a web page, instead I get a  "The variable HUNCHENTOOT:*REPLY*
> is unbound." error. I've been checking google for a while, but so far
> only seem to find something dealing with ssl (which I'm not using). I
> also tried to run Hunchentoot on a different port (without using
> mod_lisp2), but I'm still unable to access it. I can get the actual
> server running on my local machine (which doesn't have Apache), but
> not my server. I was following along with this guide
> http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/common.lisp.with.apache.php
>
> Does anyone have any experience with running Hunchentoot on Ubuntu?

Can't claim to have much experience, but works for me w/o Apache. I'm running
hunchentoot on top of SBCL. I got started by staring hard at the examples
included in the tutorials on the weitz.de website referred to in another

   Vilho
From: Peter Hildebrandt
On Thu, 01 May 2008 09:18:31 +0200, Vilho Räisänen <···@iki.fi>
wrote:

> Joe Smith <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hey guys, I'm trying to run Hunchentoot (
>> http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/
>> ) behind Apache (using mod_lisp2 on Ubuntu Server 7.10) but I can't
>> display a web page, instead I get a  "The variable HUNCHENTOOT:*REPLY*
>> is unbound."

I set that up on a "normal" ubuntu 7.10 with SBCL 1.0.11 (self compiled) a
while ago, and it worked fine.  I wrote down a few notes about what I
did.  They're far from a real "how to", but maybe you'll find a pointer in
the right direction:

------

Installing mod-lisp
-------------------
mod_lisp2.c
  http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/public/open-source/mod_lisp/mod_lisp2.c

apache2 dev files
  sudo apt-get install apache2-threaded-dev

compile the module
  sudo apxs2 -i -c mod_lisp2.c

mods-available/lisp.load
----
LoadModule lisp_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_lisp2.so
----

mods-available/lisp.conf
----
<IfModule mod_lisp2.c>
	LispServer  127.0.0.1 4242 "dc"
</IfModule>
----

mods-enabled$ sudo ln -s ../mods-available/lisp.conf
mods-enabled$ sudo ln -s ../mods-available/lisp.load

sites-available/url
----
<IfModule mod_lisp2.c>
         NameVirtualHost *:80
         <VirtualHost *:80>
                 ServerAdmin ·····@url
                 ServerName url

                 SSLEngine off
		# SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
                 <Location />
                         SetHandler lisp-handler
                 </Location>
         </VirtualHost>
</IfModule>
----

sites-enabled$ sudo ln -s ../sites-available/

Restart Apache and it should be OK.

SBCL
----

Installing from tarball
----
wget
'http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sbcl/sbcl-1.0.11-x86-linux-binary.tar.bz2'
bunzip2
tar xvf
cd sbcl...
chmod +x install.sh
sudo ./install.sh
----

Run
---
sbcl --dynamic-space-size 256

Installing Hunchentoot
----------------------
select 0 for continue on all conditions
----
(asdf-install:install 'trivial-gray-streams)
(asdf-install:install 'md5)
(asdf-install:install 'cl-base64)
(asdf-install:install 'rfc2388)
(asdf-install:install 'cl+ssl)
(asdf-install:install 'flexi-streams)
(asdf-install:install 'chunga)
(asdf-install:install 'cl-ppcre)
(asdf-install:install 'url-rewrite)
(asdf-install:install 'cl-who)
(asdf-install:install 'hunchentoot)

Running Huchentoot
------------------
(require 'hunchentoot)
(defparameter *myserver* (hunchentoot:start-server :port 4242 :mod-lisp-p
t))
------

Good luck,
Peter

From: Christian Haselbach

Joe Smith wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with running Hunchentoot on Ubuntu?

Yes, but I run it behind lighttpd, not apache. I am using mod_proxy,
which was really easy to set up. I just added the following to map
klatschbase (the hunchentoot project) appropriately:

proxy.server = ("/klatschbase/client.js" =>
  ( (
      "host" => "127.0.0.1",
      "port" => 4242
  ) ),
  "/klatschbase/ops/" =>
  ( (
      "host" => "127.0.0.1",
      "port" => 4242
  ) )
)

This maps /klatschbase/client.js and /klatschbase/ops/ to the
hunchentoot server.

Are you able to reach hunchtentoot directly?

Regards,
Christian
From: Joe Smith
Thanks a lot guys! For now, I set up Hunchentoot on its own without
Apache, but I'm thinking I may have made an error in a configuration
file somewhere, so I'll come back to it in a week or two after finals.

David: Pound worked out really well, thanks for the idea.

Peter: Thanks for the write up, it helped out a lot (particularly
lisp.load and lisp.conf).