From: ·········@yahoo.se
Subject: Possible to compile CLISP in Emacs?
is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
if so, how?

is it possible to write big programs with emacslisp?

From: Paul Donnelly
Subject: Re: Possible to compile CLISP in Emacs?
·········@yahoo.se writes:

> is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
> if so, how?

It is possible to use Emacs as a frontend to most Common Lisp
implementations. See SLIME.

> is it possible to write big programs with emacslisp?

Would you consider Emacs a "big program"?
From: Tassilo Horn
Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>> is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
>> if so, how?
>
> It is possible to use Emacs as a frontend to most Common Lisp
> implementations. See SLIME.

And for scheme there's something called quack.

Bye,
Tassilo
From: Pascal Bourguignon
·········@yahoo.se writes:

> is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
> if so, how?

Using builtin stuff:

C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET clisp RET
(compile-file "some-pgm.lisp") RET
(load "some-pgm") RET

C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET mzscheme RET
(load "some-pgm.scm") RET

> is it possible to write big programs with emacslisp?

Yes.  But I'd advise to use some libraries:
(require 'cl)    ; provides some CL-like functions and macros.
(require 'eieio) ; provides CLOS-like objects.
etc.

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically
charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred
million miles per hour.
From: globalrev
On 18 Apr, 23:08, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
> ·········@yahoo.se writes:
> > is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
> > if so, how?
>
> Using builtin stuff:
>
> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET clisp RET
> (compile-file "some-pgm.lisp") RET
> (load "some-pgm") RET
>
> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET mzscheme RET
> (load "some-pgm.scm") RET

i dont know what thta means even. where do i write that stuff? i use
windows vista. a lot of command dont seem to work.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> On 18 Apr, 23:08, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
>> ·········@yahoo.se writes:
>> > is it possible to compile and run Common Lisp and Scheme in Emacs?
>> > if so, how?
>>
>> Using builtin stuff:
>>
>> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET clisp RET
>> (compile-file "some-pgm.lisp") RET
>> (load "some-pgm") RET
>>
>> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET mzscheme RET
>> (load "some-pgm.scm") RET
>

> i dont know what thta means even. where do i write that stuff? i use
> windows vista. a lot of command dont seem to work.

You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I hope
you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs, namely
how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: globalrev
On 19 Apr, 00:20, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
>
> >> Using builtin stuff:
>
> >> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET clisp RET
> >> (compile-file "some-pgm.lisp") RET
> >> (load "some-pgm") RET
>
> >> C-u M-x inferior-lisp RET mzscheme RET
> >> (load "some-pgm.scm") RET
>
> > i dont know what thta means even. where do i write that stuff? i use
> > windows vista. a lot of command dont seem to work.
>
> You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I hope
> you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs, namely
> how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
> Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
> stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and
> neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush

i have to download the clisp directory then i guess from that huge
archive?

becuase now it said no such file/directory.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> On 19 Apr, 00:20, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
>> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

>> > i dont know what thta means even. where do i write that stuff? i use
>> > windows vista. a lot of command dont seem to work.
>>
>> You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I hope
>> you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs, namely
>> how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t
>>
> i have to download the clisp directory then i guess from that huge
> archive?
>
> becuase now it said no such file/directory.

Perhaps you would like better integrated environments.

For scheme, I'd advise you to use DrScheme.
Get it from http://www.drscheme.org
It will give you a nice icon on the Desktop, you open it and you're
set.

For Common Lisp, there's no libre implementation as nice, but you can
get evaluation licenses of commercial Common Lisp implementations that
will be even nicer than DrScheme.  Try http://www.franz.com
http://www.lispworks.com or http://www.cormanlisp.com

Basically, you download, you open the installer (if MS-Windows doesn't
do it for you), and you get an nice icon to launch the lisp
environment.

Once you'll know more, it'll be time to think about emacs, slime and
rawer implementations.

COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
measurable respect as those used in the products of other
manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
expressed or implied.
From: globalrev
On 19 Apr, 04:03, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> >> You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I hope
> >> you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs, namely
> >> how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t
>
> > i have to download the clisp directory then i guess from that huge
> > archive?
>
> > becuase now it said no such file/directory.
>
> Perhaps you would like better integrated environments.
>
> For scheme, I'd advise you to use DrScheme.
> Get it fromhttp://www.drscheme.org
> It will give you a nice icon on the Desktop, you open it and you're
> set.
>
> For Common Lisp, there's no libre implementation as nice, but you can
> get evaluation licenses of commercial Common Lisp implementations that
> will be even nicer than DrScheme.  Tryhttp://www.franz.comhttp://www.lispworks.comorhttp://www.cormanlisp.com
>
> Basically, you download, you open the installer (if MS-Windows doesn't
> do it for you), and you get an nice icon to launch the lisp
> environment.
>
> Once you'll know more, it'll be time to think about emacs, slime and
> rawer implementations.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
> protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
> measurable respect as those used in the products of other
> manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
> expressed or implied.

ty i already use cormanlisp which is awesome.

i also have dr scheme and and im trying out Arc now and i dont like
drscheme so much.
so i want to use emacs as an editor and if possible, as a compiler.
maybe it snot possible for Acr though.

but how do i use the command su provided before? by downloadin g some
extra directory?
From: Pascal Bourguignon
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
> ty i already use cormanlisp which is awesome.
>
> i also have dr scheme and and im trying out Arc now and i dont like
> drscheme so much.
> so i want to use emacs as an editor and if possible, as a compiler.
> maybe it snot possible for Acr though.
>
> but how do i use the command su provided before? by downloadin g some
> extra directory?

Well, then, let's do first scheme, since you already have downloaded
and installed DrScheme.  You should have somewhere where DrScheme is
installed an executable named mzscheme (or MZSCHEME.EXE). Find where
it is located, what path it has. It may be something like:

   C:\Program Files\plt-scheme-333\something\mzscheme.exe

Then, in emacs, type

  C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

to open the ~/.emacs file, and add in it:

  (defun run-my-scheme ()
    (interactive)
    (inferior-lisp
      "C:\\Program Files\\plt-scheme-333\\something\\mzscheme.exe"))

Then you can either put the cursor after this form, and type:

  C-x C-e

to evaluate this form in emacs, or reload the whole file with:

  M-x eval-buffer RET

And then you should be able to run mzscheme from emacs by typing:

  M-x run-my-scheme RET

Then you should be able to type
  (load "c:\\some\scheme\program.scm") RET
in the inferior-lisp buffer.

For clisp, it will be the same.  Download clisp from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1355 and install
it.  Then find where the clisp.exe has been installed. It may  be
something like:

   C:\Program Files\clisp-2.44\clisp.exe

Then, in emacs, type

  C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

to open the ~/.emacs file, and add in it:

  (defun run-my-clisp ()
    (interactive)
    (inferior-lisp
      "C:\\Program Files\\clisp-2.44\\clisp.exe"))

Then you can either put the cursor after this form, and type:

  C-x C-e

to evaluate this form in emacs, or reload the whole file with:

  M-x eval-buffer RET

And then you should be able to run clisp from emacs by typing:

  M-x run-my-clisp RET

Then you should be able to type

  (compile "c:\\some\clisp\program.lisp") RET
  (load    "c:\\some\clisp\program") RET

in the inferior-lisp buffer.

Note that in the case of Common Lisp, you don't have to compile
either, you can directly load source files:

  (load "c:\\some\clisp\program.lisp") RET

and in fact, in the case of clisp, if you want to debug this program
you should not compile it, but load the source, and run it interpreted
to get better debugging information.

This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.
From: Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t
> From: Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com>
> You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I
> hope you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs,
> namely how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t

It's been many years since I looked at that tutorial, and your
recommendation sparked my curiosity, so I decided to see what's
available here. In fact I discovered several mistakes in the tutorial:

On FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (SHELL) #0: Thu Feb 16 03:07:17 PST 2006
   14 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    13783 Nov 18  2000 /usr/local/man/man1/emacs.1
 5184 -rwxr-xr-t  2 root  wheel  5292574 Nov 18  2000 /usr/local/bin/emacs*
(Yeah, the system was upgraded much more recently than EMACS was upgraded.
 I guess that means GNU EMACS is more stable and needs less frequent repair.)
                         1995 December 7  (date on bottom of each man page)

Note that there is an overlap of two lines when you move from screen
to screen; this provides some continuity so [sic] you can continue reading
the text.

Grammatical nitpick: "so" should read "so that".

>> Move the cursor to the line in the middle of that diagram
   using C-n or C-p.  Then type C-l to see the whole diagram
   centered in the screen.
It should also say to do C-f a few times to watch the cursor move
partway across that middle line of the diagram, then C-b to move
partway back toward the beginning of that line.

>> Type M-f and M-b a few times, interspersed with C-f's and C-b's
   so that you can observe the action of M-f and M-b from various
   places inside and between words.
(This is correct, "so that".)

>> Type C-x C-l (which is a disabled command),
   then type n to answer the question.
(I did that, brings up an alert screen. Last three lines on screen:)
You can now type
Space to try the command just this once, but leave it disabled,
Y to try it and enable it (no questions if you use it again),
(runs off bottom of screen, in particular there's no mention of
 typing N to abort the command; usually space will scroll, or C-v
 will scroll in EMACS, but here space means execute the command, so
 I tried C-v, but it just beeped at me, refuses to show me the rest of
 the alert half-screen; does anybody know how to see the rest of it??)
Note: This is a VT100 dialup. On a larger screen it presumably
shows the full text of the alert. But since EMACS was specifically
designed to support dialup terminals, it's unfortunately that on a
dialup terminal it truncates the info.

You can also kill any part of the buffer with one uniform method.
Move to one end of that part, and type ··@ or C-SPC (either one).
Move to the other end of that part, and type C-w.  That kills
all the text between the two positions.

··@ (ctrl-shift-2) doesn't work, it just beeps at me.
I learned this fact many years ago, and discovered C-SPC which
*does* work. In fact it might have been a DataMedia 2500 where I
originally discovered this. It was so long ago I don't remember
whether I discovered it on DM2500 loaned from SU-IMSSS, or even
earlier on Beehive 3A with MOS 6502 emulating a DM2500 because
MIT-ML and MIT-MC didn't support Beehive 3A. But I'm pretty sure my
discovery predates either of my Macs by several years.

So just now I tried going into CMUCL and doing this:
(loop (prin1 (read-char)))
Typing normal text, followed by newline, works as expected.
Typing ctrl-shift-2 beeps and nothing is transmitted to the host.
Typing ctrl-space echoes as ·@ and prin1 shows #\Null.
My guess is that VersaTerm on Macintosh doesn't allow ctrl-shift-2,
and converts ctrl-space into NUL = +u0000.
I tried some of the other ctrl-shift-numbers:
  ctrl-shift-0 also beeps.
  ctrl-shift-3 plays a sound like a stapler driving a staple, with major echo.
  ctrl-shift-anyOtherNumber is silent.
None of the ctrl-shift-numbers transmit anything that CMUCL can see.
I never knew this (except ctrl-shift-2 beep) about VersaTerm before.
(I've used it since 1990, but never had any reason to try ctrl-shift-number
 except ctrl-shift-2 until just now.)
Most of this is just Macintosh trivia, but perhaps the tutorial
should mention that ··@ doesn't work on some/most terminal emulators.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
·················@SpamGourmet.Com (Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) writes:

> (talking to a newbie:)
>> From: Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com>
>> You asked for stuff in emacs, so I gave you emacs commands.  I
>> hope you read the first thing that appears when you launch emacs,
>> namely how to get the emacs tutorial, by typing Control-h t
>
> It's been many years since I looked at that tutorial, and your
> recommendation sparked my curiosity, so I decided to see what's
> available here. In fact I discovered several mistakes in the tutorial:
>
> On FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (SHELL) #0: Thu Feb 16 03:07:17 PST 2006
>    14 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    13783 Nov 18  2000 /usr/local/man/man1/emacs.1
>  5184 -rwxr-xr-t  2 root  wheel  5292574 Nov 18  2000 /usr/local/bin/emacs*
> (Yeah, the system was upgraded much more recently than EMACS was upgraded.
>  I guess that means GNU EMACS is more stable and needs less frequent repair.)
>                          1995 December 7  (date on bottom of each man page)
>
> Note that there is an overlap of two lines when you move from screen
> to screen; this provides some continuity so [sic] you can continue reading
> the text.
>
> Grammatical nitpick: "so" should read "so that".
>
>>> Move the cursor to the line in the middle of that diagram
>    using C-n or C-p.  Then type C-l to see the whole diagram
>    centered in the screen.
> It should also say to do C-f a few times to watch the cursor move
> partway across that middle line of the diagram, then C-b to move
> partway back toward the beginning of that line.
> [...]

Again, comments about emacs tutorial would probably be directed  more
profitably to emacs maintainers than to cll.

I guess that's why they said ··@ OR C-space.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__