From: Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t
Subject: CMUCL 18b coredumped unexpectedly
Just a few minutes ago, CMUCL did this to me:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
I made the dump world-accessible here:
<http://www.rawbw.com/~rem/NewPub/lisp.core>
in case anybody wants to look at it and try to figure out what happened.
Is this a bug in CMUCL, or a CPU fault unrelated to Lisp?

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: CMUCL 18b coredumped unexpectedly
On Apr 14, 8:10 am, ·················@SpamGourmet.Com (Robert Maas,
http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) wrote:
> Just a few minutes ago, CMUCL did this to me:
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
> I made the dump world-accessible here:
> <http://www.rawbw.com/~rem/NewPub/lisp.core>
> in case anybody wants to look at it and try to figure out what happened.
> Is this a bug in CMUCL, or a CPU fault unrelated to Lisp?

and with a valiant effort, Robert wins the world record for useful,
comprehensible bug reports made in appropriate places!
Congratulations, Robert!
From: GP lisper
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 03:55:15 -0700 (PDT), <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 8:10�am, ·················@SpamGourmet.Com (Robert Maas,
> http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) wrote:
>> Just a few minutes ago, CMUCL did this to me:
>> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
>> I made the dump world-accessible here:
>> <http://www.rawbw.com/~rem/NewPub/lisp.core>
>> in case anybody wants to look at it and try to figure out what happened.
>> Is this a bug in CMUCL, or a CPU fault unrelated to Lisp?

a short between the ears

> and with a valiant effort, Robert wins the world record for useful,
> comprehensible bug reports made in appropriate places!
> Congratulations, Robert!

Nope, bugs from a 10 year old piece of software are never useful.

One of these days, a cluon will strike Robert and he will stop using
18e.  In the meantime, killfile.

--
One of the strokes of genius from McCarthy was making lists
the center of the language - kt
From: ·······@eurogaran.com
Is it reproducible?
Reproducibility comes in 4 flavors:
- same software causes same failure
- same software circumstances (memory occupation, impossibility to
write to a device...) causes same failure
- same hardware causes same failure
- same hardware circumstances (temperature, momentary electric high)
causes same failure